MO2/UE4 only using 5Gb of my 6Gb of VRAM?

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
With multiple desktop apps running (email, web browser, etc) my vidcard runs around 0.1/6Gb VRAM. With MO2 running, it's 5.1/6Gb VRAM. Even reserving a few hundred megs for whatever, that's still the better part of a Gig of VRAM just totally being wasted. With editing .ini files being a bannable offense, I'm not sure how to fix this. Any non-sarcastic suggestions welcomed.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Need more information.

What kind of GPU, did you update your drivers recently, was there a Windows update recently you opted for, what kind of temps are you running at, and is your CPU capping out in utilization?

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Hi Handsome,

GTX 1060 6gb VRAM, latest drivers (no change before/after), 16Gb RAM w/8Gb shared with video, no change over last windows update, GPU hardware scheduling update made no change, temps are running in the green, no overclocking, CPU i7-6700HQ not capping out. It's not really a problem coming from overloaded system; it's a memory model/settings issue I think. Thanks for responding.

I'm tempted to read up on UE4 memory model, but I'm afraid it'll just make me want to edit .ini files, lol.

Last edited:

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
i don't understand, you want your gpu to work at 100% using all of its vram? maybe that's just what it needs...

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
i don't understand, you want your gpu to work at 100% using all of its vram? maybe that's just what it needs...
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to make the engine use all my VRAM, instead of leaving almost a gig idle. Just don't know how w/o resorting to .ini editing, which is historically how that kind of thing is done.

I guess I should have also asked if others see this wasted VRAM in their task managers as well.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to make the engine use all my VRAM, instead of leaving almost a gig idle. Just don't know how w/o resorting to .ini editing, which is historically how that kind of thing is done.

I guess I should have also asked if others see this wasted VRAM in their task managers as well.

why you think you should use all of it? maybe the game uses just as much as it needs, that's what i meant :D

Reactions: you, Svaar and Ask

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
It's not being wasted, the game just doesn't require it with the settings and resolution you're playing at. Maybe if you were loading 4k textures, but even then most games max out at 6-8gb of ram.

MO2 is like most mmorpgs, CPU bound, so more vram usage would not be the answer if performance is what you're looking for.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
It's not being wasted, the game just doesn't require it with the settings and resolution you're playing at. Maybe if you were loading 4k textures, but even then most games max out at 6-8gb of ram.

MO2 is like most mmorpgs, CPU bound, so more vram usage would not be the answer if performance is what you're looking for.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. With my CPU never going over 75%, and my GPU pegged at 100%, guess it's time to overclock the vidcard. Thanks again.

• Love
Reactions: you

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
XkBj5So.png

each assembly works in its own way.

you

Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. With my CPU never going over 75%, and my GPU pegged at 100%, guess it's time to overclock the vidcard. Thanks again.
If u put it in the microwave for a few seconds it should solve ur problem.