MM vs MA balance

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
MA's can output 3/4 arrows in the time it takes a full MM to cast a single lesser heal. There's no balance between the two at all in my experience, even with 125 horses with good heavy armor (flake+raw hide)

Am I doing something wrong or is this in fact just skewed in favor of MAs

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
There is no real balance.MA has all the advantage.they have high, consistent damage. They can maneuver while dpsing. They can heal and use magic shield.
If you are a fat MM then you can out-heal the MA damage to your horse. However, if he starts shooting at you, you’ll be hard pressed to survive. All it takes is a few interrupted heals and you will die.
You can try go full offence but it will be a dps race and again if you get interrupted too many times you'll die. Its a dice roll situation and it will depend mostly on how many shots he misses. If he hits every shot you’ll probably die before you can put out enough damage.
You can try and go for EQ, but any good MA will just stay far enough not to get hit.
If you have necromancy, and are able to get close to the MA or even on his right side, you can do some serious damage with awe surge or death hand. Just dont miss, and use his blind spot to your advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahz

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
There is no real balance.MA has all the advantage.they have high, consistent damage. They can maneuver while dpsing. They can heal and use magic shield.
If you are a fat MM then you can out-heal the MA damage to your horse. However, if he starts shooting at you, you’ll be hard pressed to survive. All it takes is a few interrupted heals and you will die.
You can try go full offence but it will be a dps race and again if you get interrupted too many times you'll die. Its a dice roll situation and it will depend mostly on how many shots he misses. If he hits every shot you’ll probably die before you can put out enough damage.
You can try and go for EQ, but any good MA will just stay far enough not to get hit.
If you have necromancy, and are able to get close to the MA or even on his right side, you can do some serious damage with awe surge or death hand. Just dont miss, and use his blind spot to your advantage.
100% this.
I honestly think "winning the dps race" is also really, really hard to do in most cases. A lvl 125 steppe horse has almost 300HP and the only way to get the Archer off of you is killing the horse. If the MA stays 25m away from you, you can only really use Outburst which wont outdamage anything or Mental Projectile, which costs 35mana +3 spirits per shot and still wont outdps a 5g bow.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
With the nerfs to mounted magery (not being able to turn and increased cast time) it has fallen behind all other aspects of the game.

Reactions: Calcal and Gnidex

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Id say MM is the worst mounted build for mounted battles. MAs and MCs are far better in a mounted fight.

Biggest issue as a MM is that you have to go straight to cast, so all an enemy has to do is ride the opposite way when he sees you casting and you will never be able to finish your cast, turn around and chase him down. If they are the ones chasing you then you are super easy target because you have to go straight to cast anything. Casting anything more than a lesser heal is almost impossible while being shot at by an MA. Its very annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calcal

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
I agree its an uphill battle for mages on horse and foot TBH.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
90% of active users are power-playing footfighters. No way in hell SV is gonna buff mages, no matter how pigeonholed they are.
It's actually baffling how they keep the meta in this state for so long. There just isn't any balance in the game in regards to builds.

Reactions: Rahz

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
This has been discussed to no end, but in short: you cant make mages strong or you will render melee obsolete.

Mages are cheap to gear, easy to use, have unblock-able damage, can block all damage from melee with parries, can even cast on the run with necro. Their only drawback is that they are extremely squishy (except tower shield fatties).

Make them any stronger and everyone will just play mages.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
This has been discussed to no end, but in short: you cant make mages strong or you will render melee obsolete.

Mages are cheap to gear, easy to use, have unblock-able damage, can block all damage from melee with parries, can even cast on the run with necro. Their only drawback is that they are extremely squishy (except tower shield fatties).

Make them any stronger and everyone will just play mages.
My issue is not mage vs footie, it's MM vs MA. It's in the title of the thread. Footie/Mage balance is liveable and with good positioning can be made to work. It's MM vs MA that's not possible to manage. Hence the thread.

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
My issue is not mage vs footie, it's MM vs MA. It's in the title of the thread. Footie/Mage balance is liveable and with good positioning can be made to work. It's MM vs MA that's not possible to manage. Hence the thread.
The problem is since trinkets can give you A LOT of primary skill points every footie is also a pretty decent mounted archer at some point. Mages are only strong in group fights since 4 mages can kill a single player without ANY counterplay. In a 1v1 scenario a mage will most likely lose to anything if there isnt a huge gap in tactical thinking and situational awareness. And if the footie has some psy, dont even try.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
This is a problem of the game's own creation and it's a doom sentence of stagnation to claim that nothing can be done in regards to this because it'll "ruin the balance". How about armor suddenly actually gave magic resist too? Effin mind blown...

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
This is a problem of the game's own creation and it's a doom sentence of stagnation to claim that nothing can be done in regards to this because it'll "ruin the balance". How about armor suddenly actually gave magic resist too? Effin mind blown...
yeah or let mages swap from cast to weapon on the fly, and some viable options to create a gap, or blocking that actually blocks damage. Even with 100 blocking, and no matter how good I am at parrying chip damage, guarantees the same outcome.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022

This solves the on foot issue with parrying. I do think mounted magery needs to have the ability to at least turn when casting. the cast speed reduction AND turning is too much. Obviously i woulnd wanto just remove both nerfs from MM but i do think there is room for tweaking it a bit.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021

This solves the on foot issue with parrying. I do think mounted magery needs to have the ability to at least turn when casting. the cast speed reduction AND turning is too much. Obviously i woulnd wanto just remove both nerfs from MM but i do think there is room for tweaking it a bit.
totally agree. It's such a small change that would level the playing field.