Mining feedback

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Ok I get that mining is supposed to take a while to get enough stuff and be dangerous because of it but I must say it gets tedious after a while. It needs a bit more to it other then just possible danger of a pvp encounter with another bandit player.

2 main things should change.
- You should be able to completely look around when mining anything.
- There should be a skillful minigame that increases your yield slightly (for example, granum mining of 112 should to to like 130-140)

First, looking at the same rock for 15 mintes each time gets so boring and annoying. Beiing able to fully look around allows you to have something else to do (like observing the secenery BESIDES THE ROCK or be on a lookout for PKers). I think this would just make mining overall more interesting for both, the miner and the PKer. Both miner and the PKer would have far more interesting experince then comming to stab a dude into his back while he's forced to watch a rock. There would be more room for a fight or chase unlike now when the PK has much better odds of sneaking on the miner easily with almost no trouble (since a lot of miners are also afk due to lack of things to do).

Second, the minigame should be something fairly straighforward, like hitting skillcheck into a rythm etc, failling doesn't do anything (you would still mine at normal speed with no yield penalty or anything) but succeeding increases the yield as I mentioned before. Ofc there should also be an option to disable this in the menu if breaks the immersion.
Honestly right now, mining anything is so damm plain that you're better off afk doing something more fun on another window.

I'm not saying these ideas are perfect but I do think they would significantly increase the quality of current mining system for minerals / woods etc.

I hope this feedback section actually has devs look into it evey now and then since it's my first post here and it'd be a shame if this all was a waste of time.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Welcome KebekLorde!

Yeah, It can be a drag for sure. I put in a lot of time mining in the first game but I can not seem to get into it as much this time around.

Could be burnout for me. But yeah, there could be more too it for sure.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
Ok I get that mining is supposed to take a while to get enough stuff and be dangerous because of it but I must say it gets tedious after a while. It needs a bit more to it other then just possible danger of a pvp encounter with another bandit player.

2 main things should change.
- You should be able to completely look around when mining anything.
- There should be a skillful minigame that increases your yield slightly (for example, granum mining of 112 should to to like 130-140)

First, looking at the same rock for 15 mintes each time gets so boring and annoying. Beiing able to fully look around allows you to have something else to do (like observing the secenery BESIDES THE ROCK or be on a lookout for PKers). I think this would just make mining overall more interesting for both, the miner and the PKer. Both miner and the PKer would have far more interesting experince then comming to stab a dude into his back while he's forced to watch a rock. There would be more room for a fight or chase unlike now when the PK has much better odds of sneaking on the miner easily with almost no trouble (since a lot of miners are also afk due to lack of things to do).

Second, the minigame should be something fairly straighforward, like hitting skillcheck into a rythm etc, failling doesn't do anything (you would still mine at normal speed with no yield penalty or anything) but succeeding increases the yield as I mentioned before. Ofc there should also be an option to disable this in the menu if breaks the immersion.
Honestly right now, mining anything is so damm plain that you're better off afk doing something more fun on another window.

I'm not saying these ideas are perfect but I do think they would significantly increase the quality of current mining system for minerals / woods etc.

I hope this feedback section actually has devs look into it evey now and then since it's my first post here and it'd be a shame if this all was a waste of time.
Reading a good book while mining is one of the great MMO experiences! So happy to have it realized again in this game. Headphones on listening for footsteps or weapons being drawn while flipping pages in Wheel of Time (yes I am rereading the series because of the trash Amazon attempt) reminds me of mining in EVE and Darkfall and how amazing time spent playing those games during early years was.

Reactions: MomoWang

MomoWang

May 7, 2021
You are correct that mining and chopping trees is a grind for the materials. It is a good activity to do on a second monitor whilst doing other things. Like Rynnik said, reading a book, surfing the web, watching YouTube, doing "work" or even entertaining yourself by looking at Help Chat.

Reactions: Rynnik

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Reading a good book while mining is one of the great MMO experiences! So happy to have it realized again in this game. Headphones on listening for footsteps or weapons being drawn while flipping pages in Wheel of Time (yes I am rereading the series because of the trash Amazon attempt) reminds me of mining in EVE and Darkfall and how amazing time spent playing those games during early years was.

I mean, you're not wrong. But considering that the games should do it's best to actually have people playing it insted of afking due to a grindy part of it with little to no meaningful activity to what you're doing, adding something like my idea that only improves everything while you can still do something else outside of the game without any negative can only help.

D

Dracu

No! Sitting afk in a que to finally get into the game and then sit afk infront of a rock is top notch gameplay!

But yeah on a serious note, this was one of the resons it killed the game for me. Imagine sitting in que then afk infront of rocks, afk infront of extraction, afk at refining... yeah afk game. There are other games that got this down, why not mo2? 15 years of experience and the extraction loop is still afk mining and afk extraction... is that reeeeaaally what 15 years of "ExPeRiEnCe" lead to?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Banespike and 666

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
Want to get serious for a moment and in my opinion know the real reason? You might not like it…

The issue is pvp sandboxes have to have a diverse activity set to be successful. Players are both the content creators and the content. Successful game design at this level pretty much requires ‘boring’ time ‘wasting’ activities because you need a subset of players barely paying attention and filling space for prolonged periods. It doesn’t matter if they are targets, scenery, or potential new friends. The point is they are there. Once in place due to ‘simple’ mechanical requirement to gain resources a whole ton of options open up where you might get ganked, might start a mining guild, or might just have a really boring play session where you bank a bunch of materials. The devs can’t or shouldn’t control that, they just create the conditions for that to happen.

Now I get why that sucks if you are only looking at it from the perspective of entertainment in that narrow window of gameplay but I personally firmly believe it is absolutely essential to the greater good and ecosystem of the game.

that is why I posted I’m happy to see it in MO2 and why when I want to pour over my skills and stats again even though I know nothing has changed I’ll grab a pick and hit a rock. Who knows what that could turn into?

Reactions: Icegoten and Dracu

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Want to get serious for a moment and in my opinion know the real reason? You might not like it…

The issue is pvp sandboxes have to have a diverse activity set to be successful. Players are both the content creators and the content. Successful game design at this level pretty much requires ‘boring’ time ‘wasting’ activities because you need a subset of players barely paying attention and filling space for prolonged periods. It doesn’t matter if they are targets, scenery, or potential new friends. The point is they are there. Once in place due to ‘simple’ mechanical requirement to gain resources a whole ton of options open up where you might get ganked, might start a mining guild, or might just have a really boring play session where you bank a bunch of materials. The devs can’t or shouldn’t control that, they just create the conditions for that to happen.

Now I get why that sucks if you are only looking at it from the perspective of entertainment in that narrow window of gameplay but I personally firmly believe it is absolutely essential to the greater good and ecosystem of the game.

that is why I posted I’m happy to see it in MO2 and why when I want to pour over my skills and stats again even though I know nothing has changed I’ll grab a pick and hit a rock. Who knows what that could turn into?

Ofc and I have nothing against it. But that doesn't mean we can't do slight QoL improvements to it right ? Option to fully look around and optional minigame for 10-20% increase in yield wouldn't affect anything negatively.

You could still continue on exactly as it is now if you don't care about these 2 changes without basically nothing changing for you but if you do, they would enrich the gameplay giving you more option then just, here is a rock, look at it without moving at all for 15 minutes then repeat.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
Ofc and I have nothing against it. But that doesn't mean we can't do slight QoL improvements to it right ? Option to fully look around and optional minigame for 10-20% increase in yield wouldn't affect anything negatively.

You could still continue on exactly as it is now if you don't care about these 2 changes without basically nothing changing for you but if you do, they would enrich the gameplay giving you more option then just, here is a rock, look at it without moving at all for 15 minutes then repeat.

I actually do think those small quality of life changes could make bigger ripples in the pond then maybe you have considered.

360 scan - The ability to look around you and notice movement (something the human eye picks up quickly in real life or on a screen) changes the potential situational awareness of a miner. Right now the only 360 awareness you get is sound and that can be controlled by someone approaching you (don’t unsheathe weapon etc). There is no artificial WoW stealth in this game. The ability to scan 360 definitely changes the vulnerability of miners and therefore can change that balance I described above about the ecosystem and targets, scenery etc

minigame - twitch awareness being stimulated by a minigame also contributes to target vulnerability to some extent. Maxing out a return like you described definitely promotes and rewards a miner paying attention to every little thing in the game and accordingly impacts that same balance.

I get it. They seem innocent and beneficial. And I can’t argue the appeal of those changes. However I don’t think the trade offs are readily apparent and I do believe they are significant enough that it would tangibly detract from the games player ecosystem and I don’t want that. Too many other games already maximize that approach and I already know I don’t enjoy them. The juice is worth the squeeze imo on this issue.

D

Dracu

Interesting take to be honest, yeah that actually does make sense.

D

Dracu

I actually do think those small quality of life changes could make bigger ripples in the pond then maybe you have considered.

360 scan - The ability to look around you and notice movement (something the human eye picks up quickly in real life or on a screen) changes the potential situational awareness of a miner. Right now the only 360 awareness you get is sound and that can be controlled by someone approaching you (don’t unsheathe weapon etc). There is no artificial WoW stealth in this game. The ability to scan 360 definitely changes the vulnerability of miners and therefore can change that balance I described above about the ecosystem and targets, scenery etc

minigame - twitch awareness being stimulated by a minigame also contributes to target vulnerability to some extent. Maxing out a return like you described definitely promotes and rewards a miner paying attention to every little thing in the game and accordingly impacts that same balance.

I get it. They seem innocent and beneficial. And I can’t argue the appeal of those changes. However I don’t think the trade offs are readily apparent and I do believe they are significant enough that it would tangibly detract from the games player ecosystem and I don’t want that. Too many other games already maximize that approach and I already know I don’t enjoy them. The juice is worth the squeeze imo on this issue.
One worth trade off would be, its not f×cking boring. Imagine expecting ppl to pay sub for ultra mundane boring no fun gameplay in your video game. I would reconsider playing that game in the first place since there are probably other games that value your time more.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
One worth trade off would be, its not f×cking boring. Imagine expecting ppl to pay sub for ultra mundane boring no fun gameplay in your video game. I would reconsider playing that game in the first place since there are probably other games that value your time more.
Yah, I 100% understand and respect that opinion. It does suck just focusing in specifically on that aspect in a vacuum. The question is does that suck provide a greater amount video game fun overall in the entire way the game is balanced. I think it does for me. You or someone else may think it doesn’t. I’m just glad someone is trying this approach and hope SV sticks with it.

InQubuz

Jan 29, 2022
I totally agree at least being able to look around yourself to have a better awareness