Melee and archers pwn mages

Barney

Jan 28, 2022
So, I am a mage and I have to wear light armour for mana regen and low str. I've maxxed my ecumenical spells and dps but still barely do much damage with fireballs or lightning, plus I have to stand still. Any archer or melee will utterly destroy me in 3 hits and probably disrupt my spells. There's nothing I can do.

Is there no way to make a magic shield or get better spells? Seems insanely bias toward melee and archery and they no interest me and I am no good at blocking.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So you have a few options for survivability as a mage. If you're going the fat mage route you can use a horse and use that to keep away from your enemies. If you're going the dex mage route you can play an alvarin and outpace any non-alvarin melee. For any mage you can throw in 100 blocking and a shield but it sounds like you want to be dependent on that as little as possible.

Tames require very little skill in the current system and can peel for you when people try to engage you in melee. Mounted mage and mountbound hybrid are also great builds for people who literally never want to block.

So if you want to experience the full game, be able to go into dungeons and stuff, I'd suggest an alvarin dex mage with a dominated pet to peel for you. I kind of advise running blocking still because alvarin melee exist but you won't have to use it all that often as alvarin melee will not hold up to a strong pet for long. If you're fine not doing dungeons I suggest mountbount mage or hybrid. They're great builds for people who like to roam and trade.

I suppose the entire ghost scout role is really good if you literally NEVER want to get engaged in melee as well. That would REALLY limit what you can experience of the game but it's very useful to groups. And mountbound mages do make good ghost scouts so you can do both.

I can help you with any of these builds if you need advice. Just shoot me a PM if you want build help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barney

Barney

Jan 28, 2022
Wow thanks for teh advice :D

Ghostscouts...oooh

I have domination to 78 so far but creature control is bugged on my toon and stuck at 77 :(

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
So, I am a mage and I have to wear light armour for mana regen and low str. I've maxxed my ecumenical spells and dps but still barely do much damage with fireballs or lightning, plus I have to stand still. Any archer or melee will utterly destroy me in 3 hits and probably disrupt my spells. There's nothing I can do.

Is there no way to make a magic shield or get better spells? Seems insanely bias toward melee and archery and they no interest me and I am no good at blocking.
You're looking at it from a solo point of view. Sure, it's a sandbox, play it your way, but it was designed for group play. It will always be hard mode going solo, and solo mage probably toughest of all. Get yourself in a guild, take a support role, suddenly you'll find you're a valuable member of the team and not nearly so vulnerable.

If you want to stay solo then the advice above is good - stay fast and mobile, pick your fights carefully, be prepared to run and hide.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
yea solo mage is nuts. You can run w/ us if you want, altho 'us' is a very loose term atm. haha. EVENTUAL US. Hit me up w/ a PM if you want.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
you cant 1vs1 melee as a mage. At least not a competent melee. Its always been like that. Thats why the only option was always Alvarians, cause they could run away. With speed changes in Mo2 it now much harder to run away. Once they are on top of you, you are pretty much dead, unless you have a pet or a buddy peeling for you.
If you are determined to play solo you have to pick up a weapon skill, like swords or spears, and play more as a hybrid. Otherwise run early and run fast.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Wow thanks for teh advice :D

Ghostscouts...oooh

I have domination to 78 so far but creature control is bugged on my toon and stuck at 77 :(

might want to check and make sure creature control isn’t set to not level up. A bug is making skills randomly go into locked mode.

D

Deleted member 44

I am no good at blocking.
You will continue to die then. If someone is on you, you need to turn around and block them. Fully Regen your stamina as you back up and parry, then run away after a successfully blocked hit. The game isn't going to hold your hand and give you "magic shields" for being bad.

P.S. - You of course need the blocking skill.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
You will continue to die then.

what-is-dead-euron-greyjoy.gif

Just be forced to respawn at the nearest priest. But no blocking is involved in that fight!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
you cant 1vs1 melee as a mage. At least not a competent melee. Its always been like that. Thats why the only option was always Alvarians, cause they could run away. With speed changes in Mo2 it now much harder to run away. Once they are on top of you, you are pretty much dead, unless you have a pet or a buddy peeling for you.
If you are determined to play solo you have to pick up a weapon skill, like swords or spears, and play more as a hybrid. Otherwise run early and run fast.

yea mage has its own skills and people underrate them because of how much dmg people are absorbing in fights and how magi hit for hi dmg thru armor. In a real deal fight tho mage can be a hard carry, but you gotta know. I mean if you play back to always run away then you're prolly too far away, but you have to like anticipate the target switch. There's a lot of synergy that goes into it, but yea dudes who think they can just jet away cuz they are an elf are wrong, you need space to start. I've seen way too many people running with their hands down, too, lol someone needs to tell them that you run faster in combat mode. Like in vids... it's like WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I mean I've died bandaging and that's a hard fail, too, but I can own it :p I've also lived bandaging. But running away in non combat mode is not gonna help your chances at all.

NINEN

Dec 20, 2020
1v1, if you’re running from someone as an Alvarin it becomes a stam game, and you will lose that game.

Group fights are different, if you build your character right, you will have enough speed to get back to a team member who can peel for you.

I feel it’s a trade off. Honestly, there is a strong case that humans make better mages in my honest opinion.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
1v1, if you’re running from someone as an Alvarin it becomes a stam game, and you will lose that game.

That's why you gotta use terrain as well. Find a rock only an alv can jump up, or a cliff only an alv can jump down.

That said, I've actually never had an issue running away on my lean sheevra mage, unless they're mounted, or I wasn't managing my stam well.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
As a Mage main archers are easy to fight and kill. You just need to learn how to jump cast and use cover. You can even put a shield on you back.