Meduli - Redesign

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
So may be a bit controversial but can you please invest a little bit more time making Meduli unique. It used to stand out from the other towns in a good way. Now it just looks lacklustre compared to the other towns. I would preferer MO1 Meduli which is saying something. It seems to be the only town that has gone backwards in design.

It is just a copy and paste from the generic 'Desert Town' on UE engine. I know this probably saves time and makes it a lot easier but it does still look like it has been slapped down without much thought or design. Even the generic one on UE looks better and more interesting.

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
After realizing most of the assets are flipped and are highly unedited, Hopefully these are all placeholders else once this hits release MMORPG reviewers are gonna rip MO2 a new hole.

I do not mind that they used pre generated/designed environments. I just wish they had kept some of the MO1 charm of Meduli and make it a little more unique than what it is.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I think it's good that SV doesn't spend weeks designing their own models, and spend thousand of Dollars for designing a single Item, as long as everything looks good. These should focus on the game mechanics, combat and new Content, but i do agree that Meduli need some love and editing in the future. I miss the trees arround the city and the Well to gather some water. Some adjustments and decorations here and there and it will be an awesome town.
The city should be made a little bigger.
I am sure that the cities will be pimped up a bit before full release.

I like the palm trees and the particle effects

i would love to see some Vermin in caves. I think it's nice how these vermin reacts to light in Unreal Engine 5

or the scene with the bats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grudge Bringer

Putzin

Oct 14, 2020
I do not mind that they used pre generated/designed environments. I just wish they had kept some of the MO1 charm of Meduli and make it a little more unique than what it is.

Since TC cant be placed near towns it wont be a problem to go back later and fix any of the towns as long as they dont grow the borders significantly can always fine tune and tweak them later. Have faith young kuthara, lord of the sands.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
Town planning would go a long way - why is this town built the way it was built? amenities, utilities, stores, residential. Should be a story in there. Relying on the building and propping of someone else for these towns will diminish this and I also hope they get the consideration they deserve.

A town tells the story of its people - are they orderly or chaotic? Was the town consistently planned or expanded randomly by its inhabitants free of rules? Has the area been occupied by many nations? Did they leave any influence there? Why does the town exist now? Is it in its golden age or has it gone to seed, partially abandoned?

What natural resources are around? Does the architecture reflect these? Are there any obviously imported signs of wealth such as items made from materials found far from town?

If you can't get an insight into any of this stuff by looking at the town, its lame. Also if you can tell that the town layout was mostly pre-built for someone else and not specifically built for the world of Myrland, the chance of these two town plans being aligned is low.

cwall

Dec 28, 2020
Have you ever played a game that used that "generic Desert Town" asset pack? I'm guessing not. If not, then why would it matter if you've never played a game with it before?

Reactions: Anabolic Man

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i have one major problem with meduli besides fps... the houses are way too small, it looks super unrealistic and suspect.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Have you ever played a game that used that "generic Desert Town" asset pack? I'm guessing not. If not, then why would it matter if you've never played a game with it before?

I think the same. If they would not use Animals and Models from the Unreal Engine, it would take 10 years to develop the game. They should focus on Bugs, the Combat System and on Coding, Coding and Coding and rather buy the assets. No problem for me, as long we not have seen them in other games.
The animals and animations would take a long time to create and would maybe never look as professional, as when a whole team is working on a model, which is then sold,
or would be much more expensive

I wish the Engine Developers would also rent Models for Montsers + all Animations and the Spells, so games could rent a Model for a month to add new unique Monsters every week, which can only be killed once.

Most of the Models used in other games stay unnoticed by the players. The same trees were used in Battlefield and Palm Fruit trees were also used in Black Desert.I don´t care, as long as the game looks good. Some unique decorations can be added later.

First of all, the game must offer a stable foundation,
with as few bugs and as many features as possible.
Then SV can tinker with more unique decorations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernfred

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021

Sorry. I think you are confusing what I have said. I do not have an issue with the team using pre designed assets from UE4. It would be silly if they did not. However by doing so the town has lost a lot of the charm of the original MO1 version. It just needs some small amendments and unique assets like the fountain to change it from a generic town to Meduli.

Another issue currently is also the small buildings that have very narrow doors. This will cause significant issues on release when the town is populated. The bank in particular will become a real mess when more than a few people are trying to use it.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Sorry. I think you are confusing what I have said. I do not have an issue with the team using pre designed assets from UE4. It would be silly if they did not. However by doing so the town has lost a lot of the charm of the original MO1 version. It just needs some small amendments and unique assets like the fountain to change it from a generic town to Meduli.

Another issue currently is also the small buildings that have very narrow doors. This will cause significant issues on release when the town is populated. The bank in particular will become a real mess when more than a few people are trying to use it.
Yes theres no shame in buying and using said assets in your game. But you make it your own before you do so. I mean change some colors, and definitely change the layout and please dont only use bought assets, especially not when you have loads assets from MO you could use.
The shame is in copy pasting.

I do have some hope that these are just place holders but experiences with MO crushes that hope. Literally the same before MO launch, earned its placeholder online title for sure.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
What we need is a huge Dungen near Meduli and Vadda and Mokhi. Near Fabernum you have the Minotaur Dungen. In Tindrem we have the Sewers. Near GK we have the RIsar Dungen. Near Bakdi we have the Sator Dungen and
apparently a Troll Cave. Near MK we have the Spiderqueen cave.

Near Vadda we only had a small Cave with Tephra and no Mobs inside. Near Meduli we just had a small Spidercave. Mokhi had no Dungen. The world is much bigger now. We need a large Dungen near every Town. Better would be 2-3 Dungens

Dungens a PVP Hotspots and more Dungens would reduce the ammount of Players you find in specific Dungens. That´s why i like the idea of Hotspot Dungens.

Why would it be a good Idea to add Event Npc´s ?

I think SV should consider to add a quest NPC in the Towns, that will select 2 specific random Dungens every week and tell the players about it, in which you can find specific loot, to obtain special items during that time, to create weekly Dungen Hotspots, so the PVP Players will meet in this Dungens and fight for the Loot.
During the Event the game could spawn specific Elite Mobs, inside the choosen dungens, that will have a chance to drop specific Items.
I would like to see them dropping unidentified weapons. Most of them should be crap, but if you have luck, you should find some good weapons. In liked the System in Ultima Online. Silver weapons should get a use and could deal more damage to undead Monsters or to the Elite Mobs. Some of these special mobs could be tried to dominate.

As a result, players would not constantly farm the same dungen, that is the most lucrative.

Players which want a peaceful and relaxing expedition could visit the other dungens, and have a higher chance for relaxed farming. I think the game need much more Towns and Dungens, depending on how much players will play the game after steam release. if the world get expended 6 times, the towns should grow bigger aswell. Emagine 100 Players in a small Town such as Bakdi or Vadda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernfred

Khanate

Aug 4, 2020
Who ever is designing the world in general seems to have issues with giving things a bit more personality by taking in account real world "charm".

Anyone can slap together a town or a forest but it is important to try to strive for a unique look which awards the player for both exploring. SV should really do second and even third level design passes of all areas but I do understand that they are running out of time, which again is a major problem.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I dont care if its unique or not, as long as it looks good.
COpy paste is much better, because they finally have the time and the money to care about important technically stuff and not making the same Barrel or house like 1000 othe rpeople made before jsut becasue they wanna have somethign unique.

As long at it looks good. Copy Paste is perfect.

Reactions: Konrad and Bernfred

Darran

May 28, 2020
So may be a bit controversial but can you please invest a little bit more time making Meduli unique. It used to stand out from the other towns in a good way. Now it just looks lacklustre compared to the other towns. I would preferer MO1 Meduli which is saying something. It seems to be the only town that has gone backwards in design.

It is just a copy and paste from the generic 'Desert Town' on UE engine. I know this probably saves time and makes it a lot easier but it does still look like it has been slapped down without much thought or design. Even the generic one on UE looks better and more interesting.

* This same post but for Kranesh and Fabernum *

Reactions: ThaBadMan