Make overheadstrike parry-breaking

Do you like this suggestion=

• Total voters

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Hi,
I think most agree that currently the defensive playstile is too strong.

I came up with an idea to make overhead-strike more unique, and offer an additional offensive ability:

I suggest adding the following advantage to overhead strike:
- Fully charged overhead strikes can not be parried, but only blocked.

To balance this I would suggest the following drawbacks:
- Increased stamina drain.
- Speed reduction while charging (e.g. to 80%).
- a parry attack can not be an overhead strike.

This suggestion would also add an additional component to defensive playstile by making movement more importent, to dodge those overhead strikes.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I like how defensive play style is now competitive.. In Mo1 it was mostly always aggressive style. Now both are doable depending of what you use.
What?

No it's not.

MO1 wasn't always aggressive. There were literally defensive playstyles that were developed because of where people were from. Typically...

Lower ping = More defensive
Higher ping = More aggressive

This just isn't true in the slightest for MO2. Dueling someone of equal skill for 10 minutes straight because neither one of you can do enough damage to finish the other is terrible.

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Rorry

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
What?

No it's not.

MO1 wasn't always aggressive. There were literally defensive playstyles that were developed because of where people were from. Typically...

Lower ping = More defensive
Higher ping = More aggressive

This just isn't true in the slightest for MO2. Dueling someone of equal skill for 10 minutes straight because neither one of you can do enough damage to finish the other is terrible.
As a EU player i had to adapt to everyone i meet mostly cuz of ping. Ping made most people just go all in on attack and breaking prediction system as much as possible. You just had to figure out how bad their ping was and parry the right way. Counters in MO1 also gave bonus damage, they later nerfed this. Mostly as people hated people defending themselves :ROFLMAO: Either way it didn't matter since Warhammers still did around 10 damage trough parry's. So it was mostly just all in on attack and running around breaking prediction :ROFLMAO:

Now lets never mention MO1 combat again :ROFLMAO:

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
As a EU player i had to adapt to everyone i meet mostly cuz of ping. Ping made most people just go all in on attack and breaking prediction system as much as possible. You just had to figure out how bad their ping was and parry the right way. Counters in MO1 also gave bonus damage, they later nerfed this. Mostly as people hated people defending themselves :ROFLMAO: Either way it didn't matter since Warhammers still did around 10 damage trough parry's. So it was mostly just all in on attack and running around breaking prediction :ROFLMAO:

Now lets never mention MO1 combat again :ROFLMAO:
I had 200 ping in MO1 and could play defensive style just fine. Good EU players could still parry mostly everything except flakestone. So not sure where this myth of MO1 being only spam hitting with nobody parrying comes from, must not have dueled any good players Im afraid.

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
XD turn game into overhead online and make all other directions useless such great idea mate

Fred

Oct 1, 2020
I had 200 ping in MO1 and could play defensive style just fine. Good EU players could still parry mostly everything except flakestone. So not sure where this myth of MO1 being only spam hitting with nobody parrying comes from, must not have dueled any good players Im afraid.

Well... maybe not only spam but mostly maybe ?

Reactions: Rolufe

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
It was just super sketchy so most people did it rarely.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
what if there were a parry limit, something separate from stamina but would make parries less effective as it dropped, like a focus meter. when empty, a parry would be no different than a block, and when full down to like 60% parries would work as normal where you take minimal to no damage

maybe also make some way to use it for other weapon types like bows or magic, to increase weakspot chance or resist interrupts while casting

-barcode

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I would prefer they find a way to correct de-sync and normalize or level out advantages from ping difference somehow before they begin making changes to anything else. If they don't, anything they add will just act as a band-aid and after enough band-aids they won't, or won't be able to, go back and fix these underlying problems.

If they fix these things and we still need a move to break parries this idea has some merit.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I would prefer they find a way to correct de-sync and normalize or level out advantages from ping difference

I feel you. Thing is people have been waiting 10 years for this to get better. It is what it is. I don´t think there will be any big strides when it comes to those issues. Even regional servers would not solve it. Cause this stuff is happening in EU vs EU fights as well.

I think the best way forward is forming suggestions around the flawed system we have. Waiting another 10 years sounds kinda boring. ;)

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I feel you. Thing is people have been waiting 10 years for this to get better. It is what it is. I don´t think there will be any big strides when it comes to those issues. Even regional servers would not solve it. Cause this stuff is happening in EU vs EU fights as well.

I think the best way forward is forming suggestions around the flawed system we have. Waiting another 10 years sounds kinda boring. ;)
As it is now MO1 is better than MO2, though. i.e. I have more chance in fighting a European player in MO1 than MO2.

As it stands, I probably won't be able to play when fights become important.

If I log in now (after Monday's patch) to MO2 in Euro timezone there will be 12+ people playing, in NA timezone the first night there were 5-6 from the Americas, last night 4-5. I don't see a big future for American groups when the game becomes competitive. I may be overstating a bit, but I really hope they can improve the foundations now to have a good game later.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
As it is now MO1 is better than MO2, though. i.e. I have more chance in fighting a European player in MO1 than MO2.

As it stands, I probably won't be able to play when fights become important.

If I log in now (after Monday's patch) to MO2 in Euro timezone there will be 12+ people playing, in NA timezone the first night there were 5-6 from the Americas, last night 4-5. I don't see a big future for American groups when the game becomes competitive. I may be overstating a bit, but I really hope they can improve the foundations now to have a good game later.

Honestly I don´t see much of difference between MO1 and MO2 in terms of desync. It looks smoother and there is some improvement in the movement but the core issues remain.

Could you expand on why you feel that it´s easier to fight a low ping player in MO1 than MO2 right now?

Reactions: MolagAmur

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I don't know the mechanics of why, but the result is that in MO2 a low ping player can parry absolutely any of my swings and then damage through my parry on riposte, very often. In MO1 they couldn't parry quite all of my hits and only very rarely damage through my parry.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I don't know the mechanics of why, but the result is that in MO2 a low ping player can parry absolutely any of my swings and then damage through my parry on riposte, very often. In MO1 they couldn't parry quite all of my hits and only very rarely damage through my parry.

That is what I thought. I think the speed of the riposte and some very fast weapons is the problem. You reach a point where the time to react for a high ping player is so low that they can´t do it. That would explain why they get through your parries.

The other issue I can´t explain. Might be a back arc thing.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i would like to see increased damage and therefore a slower charge speed / increased charge distance and maybe a faster release. its even more realistic if you think about it.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Taking more time to charge would exacerbate the problem of having all of our hits be parried.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Taking more time to charge would exacerbate the problem of having all of our hits be parried.
this would make overheads useful in teamfights and in duels there are still fast parry overheads with massive amount of damage.
i think the parry problem is no problem with a more client side netcode because then you can parry the parry.