Make MA be like MM

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Everyone fails to mention that all of those spells have a max range of about 15 metres (compared to archers whose range is about 80m average). There's no way of knowing if a person is in range and if they aren't? Well, tough luck, you spend reagents and mana regardless. Boohoo, they do good damage if you're within 15m. Then what? invite any class to within 15m and you're dead meat, that's what.
The unmitigated, unblockable and high damage attack has a shorter range boohoo, if you miss with magic your will probably miss 90% of you MA shots too

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
The unmitigated, unblockable and high damage attack has a shorter range boohoo, if you miss with magic your will probably miss 90% of you MA shots too
Range with a projectile is easy to judge because you can see where your last projectile landed. Try judging distance with nothing to gauge it by. Try getting your crosshairs on a target and "missing" because they were at 2001 and your spell range was 2000. I switched to mage because I was doing too much damage with a bow and constantly pulling mobs away from the melee group. Archery is OP in all it's forms. Mage is subpar.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Range with a projectile is easy to judge because you can see where your last projectile landed. Try judging distance with nothing to gauge it by. Try getting your crosshairs on a target and "missing" because they were at 2001 and your spell range was 2000. I switched to mage because I was doing too much damage with a bow and constantly pulling mobs away from the melee group. Archery is OP in all it's forms. Mage is subpar.
Magic range becomes muscle memory and is less to think about because it's not a projectile

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
Magic range becomes muscle memory and is less to think about because it's not a projectile

What? What has muscle memory got to do with visual acuity? Do you use muscle memory to work out how far away something is? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. You look with your eyes. You don't look with your muscles.

The projectile is literally showing you where your shot is going. You can watch the whole trajectory and make adjustments. How do you do that with limited range hitscan?

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
What? What has muscle memory got to do with visual acuity? Do you use muscle memory to work out how far away something is? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. You look with your eyes. You don't look with your muscles.

The projectile is literally showing you where your shot is going. You can watch the whole trajectory and make adjustments. How do you do that with limited range hitscan?
It doesn't take long to figure out and know instinctively if your target is in range, do you think all archers fire a first shot to figure out range?

And yes, between my eyes and my hands spell range is instinctual and aiming is muscle memory
It seems like most people that aren't good at mage would rather buff it to be op rather than get better.

Before you go there, I main a Hybrid which is one of the worst match ups against an MA

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
It doesn't take long to figure out and know instinctively if your target is in range, do you think all archers fire a first shot to figure out range?

And yes, between my eyes and my hands spell range is instinctual and aiming is muscle memory
It seems like most people that aren't good at mage would rather buff it to be op rather than get better.

Before you go there, I main a Hybrid which is one of the worst match ups against an MA

No. You learn the trajectories from the feedback. It becomes second nature. There is zero feedback from magic; it's a hit or a miss and that's it.

You've made a good point: if people can't play mage they should find another game to play. What other choice is there? Their heritage is fixed so there's no switching to a playstyle that might suit them better.

They should learn to play how you like to play.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
No. You learn the trajectories from the feedback. It becomes second nature. There is zero feedback from magic; it's a hit or a miss and that's it.

You've made a good point: if people can't play mage they should find another game to play. What other choice is there? Their heritage is fixed so there's no switching to a playstyle that might suit them better.

They should learn to play how you like to play.
Getting better isn't a playstyle, when you start out as a mage you will miss spells due to not knowing the range, this changes as you get better.
The only buff a mounted mage needs is less chance to fizzle spells when hit

Reactions: Atom

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
Getting better isn't a playstyle, when you start out as a mage you will miss spells due to not knowing the range, this changes as you get better.
The only buff a mounted mage needs is less chance to fizzle spells when hit

We agree on something at least. But you are underestimating how bad the RNG interrupt mechanic is. I could live with the range (as pitiful as it is). I could even learn to live with the epic mounted cast times. But I won't tolerate all of that with constant interrupts on top.

Removing interrupts is not buffing mages. It's fixing a severely broken mechanic.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I briefly joined the MO discord and was going to make a suggestion, but I stopped myself... and left.

Look, this might go the way of my "why parry is wack" video, but:

There is zero reason that they made that change. It's gamey and nubby, physics are stupid. Give us slight wobble if you want, make it so you have to aim with the tip again, and if they can't fix zoology cuz limitations just disable extra lore dmg FOR HORSES. I'm sure all of the people who are farming horses won't mind too much. That's basically it. Could really remove all zoo dmg bonuses, esp for archery. - shrug -

Otherwise as I've said manytim, the actual RIDING ON A HORSE WITH A BOW is not imbalanced, it's just that you are... RIDING ON A HORSE WITH A BOW (2 high level advantages in gaming, range and mobility,) and in the current state of the game it's very powerful, especially with zoology. Bows shred horses, esp multi MAs, longbows shred horses. Just really poor thinking, but I don't think anything has to be changed to fix MA other than the zoology v horse thing, that and I really think the cross hair aiming is one of the wackest things. We're talking about a game w/ no map or party system cuz hardcore. The arrow tip was a defining feature. It's the same but it's a little harder, that + the higher draw makes a difference IMO.