Make Ecumenical spells better before moving on to other schools

FreeHorses

Jul 2, 2020
I'm mostly talking about visual clarity when addressing about the magic school. As it is now, I have no idea on what someone is going to cast on me. Fulm, corrupt, flame strike and outburst are all red. They look almost all the same. In mortal online 1 I knew in advance when i needed to pre prep purity when I saw someone casting something green. I also knew i need to run away when i saw someone casting earthquake because it was brown. All it dose by having everything the same color is lower the skill ceiling.

Fulms need the cloud back. As it is now, you can be fulmed and have no idea. The cloud in the first game made it so you knew you had been fulmed and it showed it to all the other mages so they knew to cleanse you. EVERYONE is using fulms right now because it is basically free damage b/c no one knows they have the spell on them.

Earthquakes need to dismount and I have no idea why they aren't dismounting people to begin with. How you can add mounts into the game without a way to reliably counter them is beyond me. Mounts are the meta right now b/c there is no charge up time with a spear on a mount, you can move the spear basically 180 degrees behind you and get a hit, and you cant dismount people reliably on a horse.

Runaljod

Jan 3, 2021
I agree. It would also be really nice to see something more meaningful done to ecumenical spells for pve. Give the spells unique bonus effects vs. NPCs. Running back and forth on horse to fulm or flamestrike animals is very boring and magic still does poorly against humanoid NPCs. Also some magic fatality effects would be great.

Reactions: Meltdown and Woody

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I get where their visual design is coming from, in being minimalistic with toned down effects unlike other games. It does feel as though it's almost too subdued though. Some of the damage visuals are great and have a good balance of visual impact but there's definitely room to show greater particle effects, perhaps circling around the player model to show a charging of a spell.

Another visual I'd hope to see in the future is the use of the spellbook in one hand while casting/charging the spell in the other. That is if spell books become necessary inventory items in order to cast different schools of magic.

undeadfred

Aug 18, 2021
I agree that more visual clarity would definitely be better. Keeping the energy ball that grows and glows could be a nice indicator of the school. So that only Ecumenical spells share that animation. Then distinguish each spell by color would be great direction to go.

Other schools could use a different animation to communicate their cast.
Personally I'm a fan of the minimalistic spell effects they have going on, the next step would be make each one distinct.

As for EarthQuake I always assumed the missing dismount was something that hadn't yet been implemented, and not something that was permanently removed.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I agree that EQ needs to dismount and also knockdown like it does in MO1, but the attention has been on Melee balance for so long when it's fine as is, that they are now out of time it seems like. Henrik did promise to start balancing Magic after Spiritism was added lets see if he and the team make good on their promise, they shorted us some range on Mental Projectile, so we'll see if they give us that back and start doing some balance changes, but with the magic videos coming out only being in a gy jumping people while they are engaging in PVP i'm pretty sure we're just going to get nothing unless they can see what's actually going on a more accurate portrayal of meta mages in fights is the one in TInd, it's just discount spells till you die unless you're a legend like Free Horses ;)

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Other schools could use a different animation to communicate their cast.
Personally I'm a fan of the minimalistic spell effects they have going on, the next step would be make each one distinct.

Just FYI they do. Ecumenical is generally an energy ball, Spiritism is kind of a sparkly empty thin lined circle.

They have many schools planned, it seems like the outline/shape of the cast indicate the school while the color etc indicate individual spells (ie the lightning spell is an energy ball, but blue with crackling lightning). It's a valid piece of feedback, but I think it's more of a need for tweaking than a "stop the presses" moment.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
It looks like a place holder for the true remake of this school. Nothing travels to the target like many of the old spells. No death hit effects that MO1 had where a player would burst into flames. Seems like it was just slapped together like the place holder horses.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
It looks like a place holder for the true remake of this school. Nothing travels to the target like many of the old spells. No death hit effects that MO1 had where a player would burst into flames. Seems like it was just slapped together like the place holder horses.

I mean, my sense is more "unfinished" (implying there's more work before it's complete) than "placeholder" (which means very quickly made with the intention of replacing later. They spent likely quite a bit of time on the effects and animations for those spells, I wouldn't suspect they're placeholder.

Also have no idea what you're talking about with placeholder horses, they almost assuredly are not. =)

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
They are missing all the stats They are basically a copy of each other. No pet tickets and no breeding.

Right, again, features missing (pet trading or breeding), so incomplete, not placeholder. =)

Henrik in his latest stream said he'd completed work on I think 5 horse types, all with different stats for speed, turn radius, max hp/stamina, stamina drain etc. I think it was steppe, jungle, jotun and a couple others.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Right, again, features missing (pet trading or breeding), so incomplete, not placeholder. =)

Henrik in his latest stream said he'd completed work on I think 5 horse types, all with different stats for speed, turn radius, max hp/stamina, stamina drain etc. I think it was steppe, jungle, jotun and a couple others.

Don't forget the ability to bandage horses.

Gorf

May 8, 2021
100% agree with freehorses.

On the top of that I relly dont like speed of switching from meele to magic. As hybrid if I want to cast corrupt on someone who is running from me in order to eitheir bandage or run from fight it does not even make sense to start casting corrupt. Hide weapon and raise hands animation takes longer than it takes to start bandaging and if someone decide to run from fight casting time of corruption takes long enough for my opponent to run from the range of spell. I understand that these ranges, casting times and switch from meele to casting animations are there to ballance mages in big fight, but I personally found it very hard to make a use of magic as hybrid in situations where enemy can pay attention on you. In big fights there is place for magic on hybrids, but in small scale magic is useless to finish off running enemy. Spiritism long range spell can be used, but you have only one try, if you miss you better calll your horse and chase. Maybe Im doing something wrong, but as hybrid I rarely see opportunity to cast spell fast enough before target runs out of range.
Is it just me doing something wrong or does others struhgle with this too?

undeadfred

Aug 18, 2021

On the top of that I relly dont like speed of switching from meele to magic. As hybrid if I want to cast corrupt on someone who is running from me in order to eitheir bandage or run from fight it does not even make sense to start casting corrupt. Hide weapon and raise hands animation takes longer than it takes to start bandaging and if someone decide to run from fight casting time of corruption takes long enough for my opponent to run from the range of spell. I understand that these ranges, casting times and switch from meele to casting animations are there to ballance mages in big fight, but I personally found it very hard to make a use of magic as hybrid in situations where enemy can pay attention on you. In big fights there is place for magic on hybrids, but in small scale magic is useless to finish off running enemy. Spiritism long range spell can be used, but you have only one try, if you miss you better calll your horse and chase. Maybe Im doing something wrong, but as hybrid I rarely see opportunity to cast spell fast enough before target runs out of range.
This is a very good point.
I don't think casting times need to be lowered but speeding up the animation of drawing your weapon would help with more than just making Hybrids more viable. It would also help with those times you get jumped, and need to respond quickly. The person attacking me already has the element of surprise, and the initiative, do I really need to be fumbling to get my sword out?
If they really wanted to they could tie the speed of the animation to your skill in that weapon, or combat techniques.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Maybe onehanded can cast at reduced speed with sword out.

yes, add over powered magic and kill Mo2 again ^^
magic should only used for healing - illusion - element controlling and summoning, any thing else will latterly bring you to square one.

p.s i d rather no magic at all in MO2 just keep it simple, thu its necessary evil to please the crowds better make it super hard to be a magician or super very expensive :unsure: preferably both

• Haha
Reactions: Meltdown

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Holy shit i hadn't noticed just how different the graphics were comparing Mo1 to Mo2. You look like you have skeleton fingers, you don't even look human. lol idk why that caught my eye as much as it did. I mean shit i played Mo1 last time like maybe 4 or so months ago and i thought the graphics were great Lol i hadn't realized how much better the graphics of Mo2 were until now.

FreeHorses

Jul 2, 2020
Holy shit i hadn't noticed just how different the graphics were comparing Mo1 to Mo2. You look like you have skeleton fingers, you don't even look human. lol idk why that caught my eye as much as it did. I mean shit i played Mo1 last time like maybe 4 or so months ago and i thought the graphics were great Lol i hadn't realized how much better the graphics of Mo2 were until now.
the armor im wearing makes it look like i have the skeleton fingers

Gorf

May 8, 2021
yes, add over powered magic and kill Mo2 again ^^
magic should only used for healing - illusion - element controlling and summoning, any thing else will latterly bring you to square one.

p.s i d rather no magic at all in MO2 just keep it simple, thu its necessary evil to please the crowds better make it super hard to be a magician or super very expensive :unsure: preferably both
I think game you want MO2 to be you already have plenty. Chivalry is pure meele with limited archery. No magic there. MO1 and MO 2 was never intended to be pire meele. You would hardly populate mmorpg with just chivalry players. This game is designed also for people who wants to enjoy different aspects of the game such as crafting, breeding, housing, explloration, RP, diplomacy, magic schools etc. Not just pure meele pvp fights all over again. For that mordhau or chivalry is perfect game already. I get your point. More features we have in MO less the ballance in combat will be. We can only hope that there wont be huge gaps between different pllay styles and those which will not be played at all will het buffed so more people will play them. And
so far I see more characters with meele than without it. Yes, there is many meele who runs as hybrids with magic which I think is also perfectly fine and I do not rhink hybrids are superior, maybe last int curve adjustment was bit too much, but other than that Im perfectly fine with magic being part of MO. I wouldnt probably play MO if it would be meele only and Im sure vast majirity of others wouldnt play it too and mo would be just small comunity of elite players spending most of their time by sparring like we did on dueling servers in chiv 1