Make combat pets useful or able to be resurrected?

VastionBorr

Apr 25, 2022
With how much this game is based off of UO, you'd think they would apply "bound" pets or something of the nature to help offset the:
a) Lack of damage (steel armor makes every pet useless)
b) Lack of survivability (Isn't horse armor essentially useless? Is this how pet armor will be as well?)
c) Lack of utility (no bleeds, slows, buffs, debuffs, strong attacks, etc.; only bears/horses can equip bags)
d) Lack of abundance (I believe 1 white bear spawns every 2 hours)
e) No fast travel to secure pets that are 1 1/2 hours ride away (don't mind the run... I mind the fragility of pets)
f) Lack of variety of useable/viable pets (Terror Bird/Bear.. period)
g) Strange interactions between pets and houses (pets cannot go in nor leave houses so you need to contact a GM to move them whenever taking them out of house equerry)

The list can go on...

When looking at all of the skills that take up Primary Points, the most useless picks would be the Taming "Tree".

Does SV plan on changing Taming to become actually viable? Currently it is wasted points that lead to 10-30 hours of securing and leveling the STRONGEST pet in the game to only have it killed by your average Joe in steel within 9 blows.

Don't want to make pets any "stronger"? Allow Master Tamers to resurrect their pets for a cost + reduction in levels or something.

At its current state in a full pvp/full loot, Taming is not a viable build.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I’d be happy with just the pathing being fixed. Walking halfway around the map just to watch your pet get stuck on a rock is one of the dumbest, most frustrating things in this game.

Having said that, fighting pets will never be a priority because they are easy mode and way too easily become OP. Making them truly “viable” for pvp would almost make them mandatory as they are just too easy to use. Just send them to attack and do nothing…. Death knight being a perfect example of OP fighting pets in MO1.

Reactions: Dracu

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Would be cool after they make pets less aids.

Like MO1 had a huge difference between the OP pets and the shitty ones that were a waste of time to use. Wolves, cougars, black bears, etc. Being able to resurrect them would be cool.

But they need to make them more fair. Current MNO2 mobs are aids, wicked fast, infinite stam, etc. This would need to be changed first.

right now you have to butcher your build to be able to use pets. so that you have to spend a ton of time to get a pet, even a crap one. The crap ones should be much easier to get.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah I'm a master tamer but even I gave up on pets. Honestly idk how I put up with it for so long. So many pets lost to bugs. I honestly idk how I put up with so many bugs for so long

Reactions: Turd and Fromy

Rhias

May 28, 2020
In a 1 vs 1 Situation pets are actually rather strong.
However, my pets usually die by a mounted archer even before the actual fight starts. Oghmirs do 80+ damage with bows.
Would love to see pet armor that slows the pet significantly (so that basically every character can outrun it) but adds a significiant amount of piercing defense.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
Sadly we will have to wait until the beastmaster rework I guess.

But true atm it is a bit of a sad state for tamers. My hope would be for the following points to get addressed.
1. You only have a bad horse and a not max pet by far which is nice for pve but pretty useless in pvp when all non full tamers use max level horses while you can't.
2. You can only use a terror bird basically for travel speed and any other pet is either useless or any grp will kill you if you take it with you when traveling around 😁
3. Leveling a pet for ages to get it killed in 3-4h hits is meh and in no comparison to regearing anything else. We really need some resurrection here with some sort of cost and mechanism but to retame and especially relevel any sort of high level pet is meh.

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
With how much this game is based off of UO, you'd think they would apply "bound" pets or something of the nature to help offset the:
a) Lack of damage (steel armor makes every pet useless)
b) Lack of survivability (Isn't horse armor essentially useless? Is this how pet armor will be as well?)
c) Lack of utility (no bleeds, slows, buffs, debuffs, strong attacks, etc.; only bears/horses can equip bags)
d) Lack of abundance (I believe 1 white bear spawns every 2 hours)
e) No fast travel to secure pets that are 1 1/2 hours ride away (don't mind the run... I mind the fragility of pets)
f) Lack of variety of useable/viable pets (Terror Bird/Bear.. period)
g) Strange interactions between pets and houses (pets cannot go in nor leave houses so you need to contact a GM to move them whenever taking them out of house equerry)

The list can go on...

When looking at all of the skills that take up Primary Points, the most useless picks would be the Taming "Tree".

Does SV plan on changing Taming to become actually viable? Currently it is wasted points that lead to 10-30 hours of securing and leveling the STRONGEST pet in the game to only have it killed by your average Joe in steel within 9 blows.

Don't want to make pets any "stronger"? Allow Master Tamers to resurrect their pets for a cost + reduction in levels or something.

At its current state in a full pvp/full loot, Taming is not a viable build.

After watching a level 100 terror bird rip a part the back line of a melee fight where the fat mages in back couldnt get away from it and it was hitting for 20s through their blocks and hitting 40+ when they missed blocks. I am not sure pets are so weak anymore. Hell I watched a guy send a Terror Bird after a dex mage that was harrassing people around the GY in Meduli and that ended poorly for that mage. Pets are very situational that is a hard fact. And the complete lack of variation in the pets is another issue. There is only one viable pet currently, the Terror Bird, everything else is pretty much a joke.

Reactions: Deleted member 44
D

Deleted member 44

After watching a level 100 terror bird rip a part the back line of a melee fight where the fat mages in back couldnt get away from it and it was hitting for 20s through their blocks and hitting 40+ when they missed blocks. I am not sure pets are so weak anymore. Hell I watched a guy send a Terror Bird after a dex mage that was harrassing people around the GY in Meduli and that ended poorly for that mage. Pets are very situational that is a hard fact. And the complete lack of variation in the pets is another issue. There is only one viable pet currently, the Terror Bird, everything else is pretty much a joke.
Not true at all. I'm going to be running bears on my human for foot fights just for the luls because I can. No beast skills required, just need pet points. Send it on a mage and then focus down the fighters. Easy claps.

D

Dracu

Removing them would simply give even less reasons to play the game. Fix them if they are capable and they are a nice part of the game imo.
Would you remove horses too?
What the hell would happen then it would be the death of MO for certain.
Yeah i can understand removing a part you enjoy is not the perfect outcome for you. Wouldnt be happy removing a part i enjoy either. The eternal struggle of balance. Should have specified combat pets.

But i think if something doesnt work in favour of overall gameplay and balance etc, remove it. In my subjective Opinion, combat Pets are one of those.

No horses are no combat pets. Well, argueably. MAs,MCs,MMs are a different topic though