Main way of increasing stats?

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
The current way of gaining stats is complete trash. Probably one of the systems which requires the most investment from SV to improve.

Reactions: Raziel and Svaar

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli

In my opinion this is an important post and it makes perfect sense to talk about it. It is a point of the game that should be analyzed and addressed. I think this problem could be solved with some simple changes. That dexterity go up faster when walking or running, that using training dummies increases the speed at which they gain strength and constitution would be good too. I understand that it is normal for combat skills to rise slowly, but I think it is important that raising basic attributes is not a tedious task, or that it is solved with boring and absurd mechanics such as punching you with your friends for 2 hours. It is something that starvault must change quickly. It is uninspiring.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
They need to make fighting mobs give significant boosted xp gains to make it worth doing over just macroing. But if you have all the blocking skills unlocked, spam blocking gives con and str. So start your character max dext and macro block. Then leave ur room and come back in 30+ mins when you can play the game lol.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
If you have all the blocking skills unlocked, spam blocking gives con and str. So start your character max dext and macro block. Then leave ur room and come back in 30+ mins when you can play the game lol.

They should put this as a marketing bullet on the back of the box.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Experience gain should be linked to what you do. How much damage do you do. How damage do you block. How much durability do you create.

That way macros would still work, but playing would feel more rewarding.

If a macro is required and allowed to do something efficiently in-game, I consider that a MAJOR failure on the part of the developers. Any kind of macro that plays the game for you not being an outright bannable offense is a major failure. People shouldn't have to sit there and decipher "Ok so I am allowed to have this program level my character for me but I can't create this program that mines for me."

If we really want AFK leveling to be allowed, put the macro directly into the game so people don't have to go hunt through FAQs to determine what is and isn't allowed. They can just use in-game mechanics to get it done. Honestly though, any mechanic you can macro past is a bad one. Make a leveling system that cannot be macroed.

Reactions: Raziel

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I can understand the general sentiment of "you should level a skill by using it" but this is a rule I would put much lower in importance than "a leveling system should be at least slightly fun / not incredibly tedious". If we do something that is both, great. But I'd much rather see a system where say, you earn combat XP from killing things that can be fed into active skills even if they weren't the ones you used to kill the monsters, than a system where the best way to level is to macro punching my friend while they macro block.

To call from another topic where I was talking about how MO2 should stick to core principles and be as palatable to as wide of an audience outside those principles. I don't think incredibly dated leveling systems which can be macroed are a core principle. And I think a lot of people find the idea they need to macro to level efficiently very unpalatable.

Dominatrixx

Nov 23, 2020
It should be impossible to raise combat skill above some pretty low level by "punching dummy or your friends" instesd of fighting mobs or doing real PvP, othersiwe game skill system will end being fu#ked up.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It should be impossible to raise combat skill above some pretty low level by "punching dummy or your friends" instesd of fighting mobs or doing real PvP, othersiwe game skill system will end being fu#ked up.

I like the idea of PvP generating skill. But I'm unsure what system we could use to do that without making it possible to level up on a friend. You could decrease XP within a certain radius of guarded areas I suppose. That doesn't really give XP for PvP but it would encourage people to level in PvP areas. Making people leave the safetowns to get the best XP gains is good on a lot of levels really. I might even go so far as to disable XP on combat skills entirely while inside a blue town.

Last edited:

JGByrne

Feb 8, 2021
I like the idea of PvP generating skill. But I'm unsure what system we could use to do that without making it possible to level up on a friend. You could decrease XP within a certain radius of guarded areas I suppose. That doesn't really give XP for PvP but it would encourage people to level in PvP areas. Making people leave the safetowns to get the best XP gains is good on a lot of levels really. I might even go so far as to disable XP on combat skills entirely while inside a blue town.
That would be a good way of dealing with it.
Not sure how they'd implement this, but I'd also recommend adding some sort of cooldown. For example, if you and your friend dueled once, it would still give you EXP as normal, but in contrast, if you spent the last 30 minutes punching him in a corner, the XP you'd get would be lower and lower the longer you did it, eventually giving you nothing at all.
This is probably flawed in one way or another as I didn't give it much thought, but you get my point.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
That would be a good way of dealing with it.
Not sure how they'd implement this, but I'd also recommend adding some sort of cooldown. For example, if you and your friend dueled once, it would still give you EXP as normal, but in contrast, if you spent the last 30 minutes punching him in a corner, the XP you'd get would be lower and lower the longer you did it, eventually giving you nothing at all.
This is probably flawed in one way or another as I didn't give it much thought, but you get my point.

I could see that. Like you get XP for killing a player once a day. You might get people who farm alts but the benefit would be limited and you could probably curtail that even a little by having some kind of hidden PvP rating and having kills on people without decent rating worth practically nothing.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
i would rather see that only woodcutting, mining and PVE will gain attributes. Haven should have a good ammount of trees.

Reactions: Raziel

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I just want to say that I agree that the need to macro is a horrible game design flaw. You should get xp super fast from pve to promote skilling up legit. an issue mo tends to haev is that it wants to be a mmo and have a skill grind aspect. But the way mo works, anything other than max skill is garbage. This isnt runescape, you cant have fun and do your own thing with trash skills. you have to be maxed in mo, or you die like a glorified pig. So hopefully they change this. My point in saying you can currently block macro is to save people the pain in manually skilling up with a poorly designed skill gain system.