Magic Schools Economy Feedback/Suggestion

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I'll start off by saying I've played Mo1 off/on since 2013. So i have some grounds to review the previous game based on player experience, to hope development of Mo2 goes in a slightly different (although hopefully better) direction. ( I'm by no means saying I'm the best, or entitled to be heard, or any negatives this is just my 2 cents) Let's Begin: Cost of Magic Vs Profit. In Mo1 Magic was very confusing to understand. First you needed the ingredients to cast spells. But not all ingredients could simply be purchased from a vendor. Obtaining Cuprum for example required multiple other skills to complete various other task. And to do those things required certain books to be read, or having enough money to buy Cuprum and all ingredients from players. So now you have your ingredients to cast spells. Now go kill something... You soon find you used many resources and your profit back was lower then a sword fighter for example. It's for this reason Magic was often referred to by many as the "Rich mans only Skill" Let's imagine a classic noob money grind example. 100 scoundrel kills in Tindrem Sewers with a foot fighter using Cuprum Sword. Let's say Cuprum Sword was 10g on Auction house and those 100 kills got the foot fighter 50g back. That's a 40g profit. Now let's look at the Magic user. Let's say the mage bought 10g worth of spell cast for Fireball or Thunderlash and killed 100 scoundrels. Let's say each spell cast costed 10 silver that means 10 spells= 1gold and perhaps the average scoundrel tanks 3 spells before he dies. A lot of things change the cost such as player economy for cost of spell ingredients as well as magic level to inflict damage. However You can quickly see how this example hinders the progress of the magic user. Here's some ideas that could help. 1.) Conjure Magic Weapons: Ingredients to cast? None. Just takes mana. Deals magic damage based on Magic Level instead of Strength and Sword/ weapon level. This way Mages can gain gold and skill level ups when they have no spell ingredients or money to get spell ingredients. 2.) Or ingredients can be used for stronger more powerful spells rather then all. 3.) Reagent/Ingredient crafting? This skill would allow magic users to create the ingredients needed for spell cast. (If you ever played Runescape then you are familiar with the Runecrafting skill) 4.) SpellBlade Class skill? Perhaps this can be tied into number 1.) Above with a little something extra. 5.) New Skill Slot Machine. Monsters slain have a 1 in 4 chance to convert monster remains into double the gold value. Every 4th monster killed with magic drops 3x items converted to gold. 6.) New Skill: Spell Reagent Gambler. Spells have a 50% chance to deal double damage to monsters and 50% chance to return reagents used for spells. (Similar to how archers can pick up their arrows).

• Sad
Reactions: Merlin

Mirteus

Nov 29, 2020
While I did dislike that in MO1, you couldnt do solo PVE as a pure mage even nearly as efficiently as someone who uses pets, melee or archery, I just wanted to comment on something you said.
Magic being a "rich mans only skill" sounds completelly delusional, a standard mage gearset+reagents was cheaper than a footfighters budget pvp gearset.
Only way this could make sense is if youre talking about mages that have things like animal magnetism for deathknights, portals, or spellbooks full of all the good necromancy and elementalism spells, which could cost thousands of gold. BUT, you could also compare that to using tung/cronite/oghmium armor and weapons for footfighters, which in the end could cost way more over multiple deaths.
Even your example of 10silver for a spell is highly exaggerated. A thunderlash is 1 cuprum and 1 rock oil, been awhile since I played so I dont remember exact prices, but rock oil was somewhere around 30-60 cuprum coins on reagent vendor, while cuprum was often sold by players for ~50g per stack, so thats ~50 cuprum coins per cuprum - around 1 silver per spell vs your 10 silver.

About your nr 3 suggestion, many reagents are already "crafted" by players, for example cuprum is obtained by extractors/miners. Just like swords arent crafted by footfighters, theyre crafted by weaponsmiths. In MO2, combat and profession skills are seperated, so you could actually pick a profession that lets you get many of your reagents.
About nr 5, while MO is fantasy, many things in the game are still based on some kind of logic and creating pure gold coins(if thats what you meant, you werent very clear about it)from monster corpses imo doesnt make much sense.

Note this is coming from someone who mained a mage for a few years in MO1, so its not like Im a magic hater.

Last edited:

Mirteus

Nov 29, 2020
About creating temporary magic weapons, I think that could work(maybe create them from water, which is easy to get alot of), but I think only if they were very weak, just to enable simple early pve, equivalents or slighty stronger than worn shortswords in MO1. I just doubt that the devs would bother doing this.

What I think is more likelly for the devs to actually bother doing would be some spell that is made to kill PVE, but would be innefective against players.
Against non humanoid monsters could be something that "targets weak minds and scrambles their brains" to make it make sense, idk about humanoid targets, but someone could think of something if they bothered to.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Meele weapons for mage's are the solution for mage's bad PVE experience?
Like for real?
PVE for mages should be fixed by making more efficient PVE spells Instead of giving mages a meele weapon.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I'll start off by saying I've played Mo1 off/on since 2013. So i have some grounds to review the previous game based on player experience, to hope development of Mo2 goes in a slightly different (although hopefully better) direction. ( I'm by no means saying I'm the best, or entitled to be heard, or any negatives this is just my 2 cents) Let's Begin: Cost of Magic Vs Profit. In Mo1 Magic was very confusing to understand. First you needed the ingredients to cast spells. But not all ingredients could simply be purchased from a vendor. Obtaining Cuprum for example required multiple other skills to complete various other task. And to do those things required certain books to be read, or having enough money to buy Cuprum and all ingredients from players. So now you have your ingredients to cast spells. Now go kill something... You soon find you used many resources and your profit back was lower then a sword fighter for example. It's for this reason Magic was often referred to by many as the "Rich mans only Skill" Let's imagine a classic noob money grind example. 100 scoundrel kills in Tindrem Sewers with a foot fighter using Cuprum Sword. Let's say Cuprum Sword was 10g on Auction house and those 100 kills got the foot fighter 50g back. That's a 40g profit. Now let's look at the Magic user. Let's say the mage bought 10g worth of spell cast for Fireball or Thunderlash and killed 100 scoundrels. Let's say each spell cast costed 10 silver that means 10 spells= 1gold and perhaps the average scoundrel tanks 3 spells before he dies. A lot of things change the cost such as player economy for cost of spell ingredients as well as magic level to inflict damage. However You can quickly see how this example hinders the progress of the magic user. Here's some ideas that could help. 1.) Conjure Magic Weapons: Ingredients to cast? None. Just takes mana. Deals magic damage based on Magic Level instead of Strength and Sword/ weapon level. This way Mages can gain gold and skill level ups when they have no spell ingredients or money to get spell ingredients. 2.) Or ingredients can be used for stronger more powerful spells rather then all. 3.) Reagent/Ingredient crafting? This skill would allow magic users to create the ingredients needed for spell cast. (If you ever played Runescape then you are familiar with the Runecrafting skill) 4.) SpellBlade Class skill? Perhaps this can be tied into number 1.) Above with a little something extra. 5.) New Skill Slot Machine. Monsters slain have a 1 in 4 chance to convert monster remains into double the gold value. Every 4th monster killed with magic drops 3x items converted to gold. 6.) New Skill: Spell Reagent Gambler. Spells have a 50% chance to deal double damage to monsters and 50% chance to return reagents used for spells. (Similar to how archers can pick up their arrows).
Nothing to comment about the content of your post, but please consider using proper formatting such as line breaks and separate paragraphs for each point.

It's very nauseating to read one long enormous block of text and will very likely limit the number of people who do actually read it.

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Mages generally benefited off the help of a tame, a dominated pet, or a summons in order to farm. Once they had these it was pure profits.