Magic: Compendium of Magical Changes

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Let me begin this post by expressing my Contempt for Magic as it is now.

As of 9/4/2022 at 4AM MTN, The Concentration buff from 50% to 60% has only increased the 'Player VS Player' Concentration to 25% from 15-20%, I've tested it in Fab after 6 hours of duels to test it with several weapons I can say that SV, you lied to me and for this I am eternally Peeved. Against mobs you get 60%+ concentration but against players it is less than half of concentrations stated total. If I count any 300 hits I took I am roughly interupted 213-232 times, roughly putting me at 25% with 1-2% wiggle room. This means I have successfully casted about 68-83 out of 300 hits. This is hardly 50% still. Stop lying to me.

Mage is the only combat skill in the game that stops working the moment someone is in melee of you, With this in Mind I rather trust in the certainty of a mechanic than the whims of RNG, Blasphemous I know but RN-Gesus should stay in his Flux Gambling not my main source of gameplay. if a Bow or Melee Weapon user had a 25% chance to stop their attack completely than how would they react?

Concentration: When damage is taken delay your spells cast time by 1s every 10 levels of concentration brings this down by 0.1s. Leaving you with a 0.5s delayed casting between taking hits at Maximum.

Magic Schools have no effective purpose other than gatekeeping spells at certain levels. I propose making it so a 100 Ecumenical caster having more damage in Ecumenical school spells. Every 10 skill levels above the required spell increases its potency. Spurt is 1-10, adding 1 damage min/cap would give it 9 more total damage at 100 skill. Lesser Healing would gain 9 points of healing. The skills higher up in the tree would be largely unaffected and balancing around them becomes simple as moving the slider of where that skill is in the tree. If you want Mental Projectile as is, bump its cap to 100, if you really think that 1 extra min/max cap is going to do something to drastically change the game then idk what to tell you.

I hate that mages that have less skill in a magical school just simply by virtue of being a fat mage out heal me with no points put into ecumenical. If you are a fat mage and invest in a school you deserve to be the best caster, though making it so I just need a min skill in the school makes it so we see people just able to pick up as many schools as they want and picking out the spells they want, while cool It kind of destroys the idea of a mage being better at you with a certain school of magic.

Mental Offense, while you can argue is doing that job already, it only serves to make all spells better, not the particular spell in a school you are invested in. While it is a good baseline, I believe that if you are casting a spell with less skill in that particular skill you should have some sort of disadvantage over someone that is more skilled in said school.

Consider that not all spells are made equal, Greater Heal would be less effective for a master Ecumenical caster as it is now, over lesser* heal. Though for those with just the min to cast that spell would find it a better option. This would promote divergence and variation of mages based on their mastering of schools.

In this instance I'd say for other spells like Purify or Magic Reflect that do not have a damage or healing modifier change how the spell functions. the higher your skill above its marker would increase how many reflects & afflictions you purify per cast. This would make it so a 100 skilled Ecumenical caster could dispel +8 debuffs while 10 skill is just one. Reflect would have +5 charges of spells to yeet back at mages. (Hint Hint, make Reflect a higher skill level I beg of you.)

Magic Schools: Every 10 skill levels above the required spell maximum increases its min/max damage/healing cap by 1.

Spell Books as of right now they mean nothing to the community other than not having a basic spell book in your inventory. I propose adding a Spellbook for each school, Ecumenical, Spiritism ect... as well as subcategories such as Spellbooks for Domination, Ritualism, ect... These Books should be able to be equipped much like a cape is now and only an equipped spellbook would make modifications to the school of magic it is tied to.

I have made this suggestion as I am going to propose something heretical, something criminally insane. Spell books that are not equipped should drop like Trinkets. These spellbooks are the life blood of a mage, losing it is upwards of 10k gold, a stack of gold once they are completed. Think on it a moment, If I lost my spellbook, I have nothing, I own nothing else other than that spell book. If you took away my spellbook it would be like taking away my ability to grind money, my ability to farm anything would be null. I would quit the game. If someone took from me my spellbook I would equally quit the game. I make this suggestion since the only way for Starvault to buff magic is to break our kneecaps and make us crumple in pain.

With this in mind I want mages that delve into magic to be known for the school of magic they are invested into, The mastery of schools, and the spellbook should reflect the type of mage you are. The buffs we are getting to spellbooks of these schools are not known, so I will not suggest changes to them or suggestions on what they can be, since I would go over the edge in my suggestions.

I however think it is fair to say that a scribe just brings 10 spellbooks into a dungeon and scribing all the scrolls without consequence has made the game less fun for a fair few people. Portal Mages (I am one of them) have it good, too good in this case. I know it will hurt, and it will sting though it will make the game a better place.

Our progression as mage is Pain, the suffering we endure is in the hopes that mage will get better. These changes will not fix everything, but it will be a step in the right direction.

Add the other schools of magic spell books to the game, Make Spellbooks Equipable, unequipped Spell books drop like Trinkets.

The first two suggestions are reasonable, the last one is insanity, what do you think, what does everyone think about these suggested changes?

Edit: To Clarify Spellbooks would get a new equipment slot so everyone could have one on them. I would like spellbooks to be equiped as weapons, though I think that is far too dramatic. I specified the 'Like a Cape' to denote a new equipment slot though I did not specify My bad.

Last edited:

Khaine

Aug 19, 2022
I do fully agree to first changes but the thing about droping books is like You called it insane. If we get the book drop then number of spells for each school should be significantly increased. This would give us some diversity in gameplay.

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
I do fully agree to first changes but the thing about droping books is like You called it insane. If we get the book drop then number of spells for each school should be significantly increased. This would give us some diversity in gameplay.
Only Unequipped spellbooks would drop. This would mean your equipped and functioning spellbook is safe.

Khaine

Aug 19, 2022
I think it would be fine, if the spellbook had its own equipment slot. Everyone could have a spellbook equipped on their hip.
I would agree about spellbook slot but not limited to one school of magic. There is other way around. Make spellbooks from each school more economical (manawise). For example You have spellbook with all spells and it is Ecumenical spellbook. Lets make it so it will reduce ecumenical spell manacost by 5% for example

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
I would agree about spellbook slot but not limited to one school of magic. There is other way around. Make spellbooks from each school more economical (manawise). For example You have spellbook with all spells and it is Ecumenical spellbook. Lets make it so it will reduce ecumenical spell manacost by 5% for example
The spellbooks would not limit your ability to cast more schools of magic, it would simply mean the 'buff' you get from a spell book is limited to one at a time. So if you have necromancy spells in Ecumenical you will not be getting the buffs to necromancy. I do not believe I said limiting the schools, I however want people that go deeper into the schools to get some form of benefit out of it.

Khaine

Aug 19, 2022
The spellbooks would not limit your ability to cast more schools of magic, it would simply mean the 'buff' you get from a spell book is limited to one at a time. So if you have necromancy spells in Ecumenical you will not be getting the buffs to necromancy. I do not believe I said limiting the schools, I however want people that go deeper into the schools to get some form of benefit out of it.
Oh ok, seems i misunderstood Your intention. This is ok for me tbh. I also think that carrying 10 books is crazy.

Siiiz

Sep 4, 2022
I think these are all good points, mages do need some love and some buffs for people who want to play outside of support or a hybrid. Mages not losing their book which costs like a stack of gold to scribe has long been a complaint, I think. It takes the full loot out of the full loot PVP so obviously full mages need some sort of gearing option so they can reeee just as much as others when they lose their nice gear. Even a wizard in D&D needs to prepare their spells, and wizard in Mortal just needs the reagents, but honestly at higher levels there should be more going into that. Losable books would be really neat if scrolls and books were something the player manufactured, if there were robes and other gear you made and crafted from dungeon loot and refining and alchemy that help you specialize into your school.

Back to another point, skills. Mages are the only group in the game that are just gear independent skills. Being a good mage require skill, leveling, and then buying a spellbook. There's not much to any bend or flex for magic skills, mental training, mental offense, concentration, vitalism, all things you need to take that just turn you into a mage. It doesn't make change how you do things, these skills just let you cast magic, and that's pretty boring, not a lot of room for creativity in builds. The point that magic school skills are just a gatekeeping skill that don't qualitatively change how you play, they just unlock parts of a toolkit sting a lot. Like for Ecumentical, there's no reason to have above 62 if you don't use flamestrike or earthquake, and I don't think most mages or players would agree that either of those skills are worth 38 precious skill points, save for having 100 in domination, which is a broken skill that doesn't work as intended and is functionally worse in game than just regular taming. I need a fair number of points into a variety of skills to effectively wear armor and swing a sword, but I can get a fair bit (like magic reflect and purify) just by putting points into a spell school. That's cool for hybrids I think, but the inverse doesn't work for people on the magic side.

Gear loss, I agree, would be a fair trade for some sort of buff that also requires more investment and risk for mages as kind of a hail merry to make them fun to play. I don't want to be a combat god as a full mage, I want magic to be a fair playstyle like footfighter are archers that's not 20/80 getting got. Necromancy being more accessible I think is an overall good, mages need a lot of their kit to handle things, but there needs to be more investment for mages who specialize and forsake hybridization without them being hyper specialized dungeon pigs.