Mage Tutorial in Haven

aiky83

Apr 10, 2021
Can we get like a mage tutorial in haven that guides mages how to do stuff like the melee tutorial.
Like getting calamine from mining and crushing.
Explaining how to get new spells and stuff and how scribing works.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Idk at some point people just have to look up guides on YouTube, they can't cover everything
I do agree with 'at some point', but I don't think the line to draw is here when they have an entire tutorial walking you through melee and ranged. The less steps players have to take outside of the game to know the basic systems, the better for player retention.

It's a 'camel's back' situation. How many "Go Google It"s do you really want to throw at a new player (potentially one very/entirely new to MMOs) who is just checking it out? You want as few obstacles as possible in their way to them getting the basics and opening up the potential for them to say 'I like this game, I think I'll dig deeper'.

There's an argument to be made for a lot of the more involved systems to be up to the players/community to share and help guide people through, 100%. But just casting magic and getting spells really shouldn't be one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nefnate

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The ecumenical school is so simple that I don't think there need to be anything else more than a tutor talking about it. Which we already have.

That other schools are more for people to find out for themselves is fine.

If you hand hold people into a false sense of "Information will be spoonfed to you" then it'll be a pretty rough wake up call when they try to do anything once off haven.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I do agree with 'at some point', but I don't think the line to draw is here when they have an entire tutorial walking you through melee and ranged. The less steps players have to take outside of the game to know the basic systems, the better for player retention.

It's a 'camel's back' situation. How many "Go Google It"s do you really want to throw at a new player (potentially one very/entirely new to MMOs) who is just checking it out? You want as few obstacles as possible in their way to them getting the basics and opening up the potential for them to say 'I like this game, I think I'll dig deeper'.

There's an argument to be made for a lot of the more involved systems to be up to the players/community to share and help guide people through, 100%. But just casting magic and getting spells really shouldn't be one of them.

Yeah but those don't require skills. What is the game supposed to do like. Step 1: Max out your int and psych. Step 2: Make sure you're not playing a Thusar. Step 3: Go to the library and read these 5 books. Step 4 farm 1g then go to the vendor buy a book and then buy some regeants. You see what I'm saying though it's like you can't force people to do all that in a tutorial

Reactions: bbihah

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
SV can also make magic skill progression and lore unlocks make sense.

You get some of them from the tutor. But some of them still need book to open. So a nub may talk to the tutor, think he has his skills, and then grind spurt and not be getting his skills. And then think magic completely sucks.

If SV wants to make the game new player friendly, they really need to re think a lot of the skills and how they are learned. They are all pasted from MO1. And mo1 skill learning is garbage. You shouldn't need to open a book and read 1 word to learn a skill. It makes no sense. Books should be to learn skills afk, and not be required actually learn a lot of core skills. Its the little things liek this that will still make the game feel liek crap to new players.

Fargus

Oct 17, 2021
Yeah but those don't require skills. What is the game supposed to do like. Step 1: Max out your int and psych. Step 2: Make sure you're not playing a Thusar. Step 3: Go to the library and read these 5 books. Step 4 farm 1g then go to the vendor buy a book and then buy some regeants. You see what I'm saying though it's like you can't force people to do all that in a tutorial
I full heartedly believe they need to put in a class archetype preset in the character creation so people don't be picking thursar to play as a mage because the fastest way you will lose players is when they spend hours learning the hard lesson of nope you really can't make anything you want and you screwed yourself at character creation.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Nah nothing like that, just have them cast spurt to get the very basics. They already have tutorials walking people through buying books for certain skills and going through armor/weapon crafting, a magic tutorial that’s just like “hit a dummy with spurt” and explaining the basics of scribing by having them put spurt or something into a blank spellbook isn’t exactly unfitting for what’s already there.

It doesn’t have to be some weird extremely involved process, just something extremely simple and basic. Could have like 3 steps and be done. And nobody’s forced to do the tutorial either.

Overall though it’s not a big deal if they do it or not. I’m not saying it’s like a “make it or break it” thing, just a “yeah that could be included” thing. Honestly I wouldn’t recommend magic in its current state for new players anyway.
I full heartedly believe they need to put in a class archetype preset in the character creation so people don't be picking thursar to play as a mage because the fastest way you will lose players is when they spend hours learning the hard lesson of nope you really can't make anything you want and you screwed yourself at character creation.
This one will definitely screw over players worse, yeah. Much more important.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
(A) magic tutorial that’s just like “hit a dummy with spurt” and explaining the basics of scribing by having them put spurt or something into a blank spellbook isn’t exactly unfitting for what’s already there.
It's a thousand times better just as you put it than them sitting in a fountain, spurting themselves.
It doesn’t have to be some weird extremely involved process, just something extremely simple and basic.
"Keep It Simple, S(omething)" is not a bad plan.

After Water (for Spurt), how about Calamine? I remember how, for a while (if only for a while), Calamine was a ground-spawn pickable in a certain cave in MO1. What if, without even having to learn how to Extract it yet, you (the Newbie in Haven) could get some in one / some of the Caves there on the starter isle?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuhtram

wickidspliff

May 12, 2023
I've been playing for a full day and still do not understand what I need to do in order to get Cuprum to cast Lightning so I can mage stuff and not just dagger stuff.
I agree that a magery tutorial would be nice just to get us on the right path.