Mage Suggestions for the Current State of the Game

Magikarp Splash

Feb 27, 2022
A few suggestions from my current experience of playing a mage.
  1. Concentration - 60% chance to not get interrupted by attacks is way too low. There have been times where I am literally unable to get a cast off with 1 mob hitting me. 2 or more and you can forget it.
    1. Suggestion - Concentration should be 100% at 100 points. (This would still suffer the 50% reduction on horseback).
    2. PVP Interrupting - With 100% interrupt reduction while on foot, it will be OP if casters can just chain cast while getting hit. So my suggestion for a PVP interrupt would use the current block/shove mechanic to push people. This would make it so that you have to consciously try to interrupt a spellcaster rather than just go up to them and hit them. In order for Archers and Casters to interrupt a caster they must hit a headshot.
  2. Mounted Magery & Horseback Casting- Horseback casting feel terrible in comparison to a mounted archer. You are unable to turn, cast time is doubled, and have less range than a MA.
    1. Suggestion- Baseline horseback casting damage is at 75% & you can turn your horse while casting without interrupting a spell.
      1. Mounted Magery - Decreases cast time to normal and increases damage to 100% at 100 points.
These suggestions are not accounting for the magic schools that will eventually be in the game nor the supposed balance to MA that the devs talked about. But at present, I feel that this would at least make Mage feel better in the current game environment. Open to feedback/criticism.

Edit: Didn't realize that the monkey below actually had a valid point about Concentration being a secondary. Doesn't change the overall argument as it is a skill that needs to be looked at, even as a secondary, since you already struggle to cast with one thing hitting you and more than one you cannot.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I think 100% would be too op but I do think mounted magery needs a buff. Mounted magery should either be able to move while casting or have normal casting time. Not both. Maybe for concentration, they could add a debounce so like you can only be interrupted once every 2 seconds. That way if you're getting hit by like 3 baby wolves you still have a chance to cast

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
I've immediately dismissed anything you've said. Concentration is a 2ndary, it doesn't require any skill points. Let's make something broken more broken? You can't even understand how basic reading and arithmetic works. Let's learn basic things like reading and math before we go into more complex things like game balancing.
Cheers

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
Mounted Magery is in dire need of some reworking. The current state of the mechanics is CLUNKY! Start casting, stop casting because of a tree, start casting again, etc. while the casts are basically double in length.

The time and effort required for a mounted mage to kill a bandit (or anything else) compared to any other spec is insane.

Mages that spend 200 primary points should be getting something worthwhile. Not, "you now get the full damage of your spells, but at 2x casting time, you can't turn while casting, and the chance of being interrupted is 70%".

Melee and archers suffer no kind of penalty when they are attacked. I think your suggestion of a shield bash as an interrupt is good compromise to stopping a spell cast compared to a passive interrupt chance.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Concentration should be removed, and magic casting shouldn't be interruptible. Does getting hit cancel your bow pull or weapon swing? No. If a mage suicide flame striking or something is too op they can make stronger spells get cancelled on hit. But no need for the RNG.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Maybe for concentration, they could add a debounce so like you can only be interrupted once every 2 seconds. That way if you're getting hit by like 3 baby wolves you still have a chance to cast

I REALLY like this idea. It is bullshit that 3 wolves is a mage's bane, but the same mage kan solo a veteran bandit.

Reactions: Atom

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
I've immediately dismissed anything you've said. Concentration is a 2ndary, it doesn't require any skill points. Let's make something broken more broken? You can't even understand how basic reading and arithmetic works. Let's learn basic things like reading and math before we go into more complex things like game balancing.
Cheers
I've immediately dismissed everything you said because you obviously don't have a clue how game breaking RNG interrupt prevention is in a PvP game.

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
Concentration should be removed, and magic casting shouldn't be interruptible. Does getting hit cancel your bow pull or weapon swing? No. If a mage suicide flame striking or something is too op they can make stronger spells get cancelled on hit. But no need for the RNG.

Interrupts are game breaking. The RNG element is a kick in the teeth. I was in a fight today where RNG decided that every single spell would be interrupted. I wasn't able to get a single cast off. That spoiled my whole day and made me wonder whether this was a game I'd want to keep playing. I could have more fun rolling a d6 and slapping myself in the face every time I rolled 1-5.

Reactions: Jatix