Mage Leveling on launch

hadrius

Oct 26, 2021
Right now mages are perfectly fine as a build based around group play but there is imo one big issue with mages as currently designed imo and that is mages appear right now to scale very poorly at low levels and mid levels. For one the damage dealt without mental offense and the mana cost without mental focus make it near impossible to farm even simple walking dead. But how do we fix this? Well you can't just simply buff the starting damage / mana cost and change the scaling because it could create a situation where foot fighters are able to take over for mages. Another issue for this is that the scrolls for the best mage spells are significantly more rare to obtain than what would be comparable difficulty for foot fighters and MAs.

My suggestion for the first issue is for the magic tutor to allow the player to learn the mental skills by talking to him (starting at around 20ish) and giving the player 25-50 initial reagents for all your basic spells. This will allow for two things one it will help new players get into magic and understand what it is all about and two help get the leveling process started.

My suggestion for the second issue is to simply add scrolls to significantly more loot tables and / or increase drop rates.

Anyone have any other suggestions or comments on mage leveling. Am I alone in thinking the mage leveling experience will cause issues in the pure mage population. I really only enjoy playing as a mage in this game and would love to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Cheers.

hadrius

Oct 26, 2021
Yeah but that's my point. That's awful gameplay. I think as a community we can come up with better ideas to make mages be viable for new players to start with. We all know people are going to come play this game with the intention of only playing as a mage and limited use of melee. This needs to be addressed not just for vets planning on macroing but guys who jump straight in

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah but that's my point. That's awful gameplay. I think as a community we can come up with better ideas to make mages be viable for new players to start with. We all know people are going to come play this game with the intention of only playing as a mage and limited use of melee. This needs to be addressed not just for vets planning on macroing but guys who jump straight in

I've come to terms that the balance between melee ranged and magic is just inherently broken and will never be fair or make sense. I guess if it's too annoying the only option is to not play a mage. Even though many of us always play mages in every game

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I've come to terms that the balance between melee ranged and magic is just inherently broken and will never be fair or make sense. I guess if it's too annoying the only option is to not play a mage. Even though many of us always play mages in every game

This is one of the core problems with the class, it needs either a bigger mana pool to match with Stamina pool idk why Int and Psy give a smaller pool than Dex and Str give Stamina and/or make the spells cost less significantly compared to what they cost now, or make them just do more damage! the way they've made this class, it's like they had a melee go through and gimp the class to the point that they can just rush to it, and put it down as a nuisance and pat themselves on the back that they did a good job, it's terrible and needs to be reworked, but it's too late for that now and it doesn't have most of its schools so now they'll ask you to pay out of pocket to play a broken and unfinished class because a handful of people say the class is OP as a troll

not to mention the class doesnt ramp up and have a payoff, its unrewarding. i wont be using macros because that's for people who have no skill in the game and think their macros make them a good player, i'll do the journey as the devs intended it, but let the destination be worth it, i've been asking this for months. the base damage for magic is terrible, Mental Offense increases it by 200%, litterally the biggest damage buff in the game, and the class cant out dps the weakest of the other classes its broken and needs to be worked on but in stead there's a 50% nerf on it while mounted? you cant be serious

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
This is one of the core problems with the class, it needs either a bigger mana pool to match with Stamina pool idk why Int and Psy give a smaller pool than Dex and Str give Stamina and/or make the spells cost less significantly compared to what they cost now, or make them just do more damage! the way they've made this class, it's like they had a melee go through and gimp the class to the point that they can just rush to it, and put it down as a nuisance and pat themselves on the back that they did a good job, it's terrible and needs to be reworked, but it's too late for that now and it doesn't have most of its schools so now they'll ask you to pay out of pocket to play a broken and unfinished class because a handful of people say the class is OP as a troll

The main reason why mage is called OP is because of how low cost it is to be a fat mage on a mount with 50s worth of items and be able to kill someone in the best gear available. In a way it's almost like set up for griefing. They need to nerf base mage and then add items that boost magic stats. That way they balance the risk reward. Right now the problem is if they buff mage they also buff naked fat mage griefers

Hexebus

Sep 14, 2020
I agree that on Launch new and veteran players will have a tougher time making a mage. I think the biggest nerf was removing basically every good spell from the spellbook that you purchase now. Yet I only think that the early game will be the most difficult, once a mage has obtained every ecumenical spell things will become easier.

If obtaining those spells were somehow made easier for mages outside of killing bandit casters, because those bandits are pretty OP for a mage to solo. And I get it not everything is meant to be solo-able but not everyone will have people they can rely on to help them kill bandits for random drops.

I think if maybe they added spells to be obtainable through the parcel system that could help for new mages starting up? They could keep the higher end spells as loot drops from the bandits like flamestrike and earthquake. Just allow a mage to get earlier spells would make the farming much easier.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
The main reason why mage is called OP is because of how low cost it is to be a fat mage on a mount with 50s worth of items and be able to kill someone in the best gear available. In a way it's almost like set up for griefing. They need to nerf base mage and then add items that boost magic stats. That way they balance the risk reward. Right now the problem is if they buff mage they also buff naked fat mage griefers
Naked Fatmage is a non issue, there's a reason when you see wars happening, you dont see naked fatmages running around, the only people that do that are miscreants, and they have no impact on the game other than making 1 or 2 people cry, a reflect and any source of damage fixes the problem, it's not OP, they run at the speed of a toddler, and an archer can put them down before they are in spell range. if it's in town, just leave town and they usually dont come outside naked, problem solved, if they are on a horse, that's clearly more than 50s if you play mage, you usually dont have 50s worth of stuff on you. base mage doesnt need a nerf. for all the footies that say mages should be in groups 1 mage can counter 3 naked fatmages griefing intown if they have a small reagent count on them

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
I mean you will still hit late game in about 2 weeks lol. Doesn't really matter mages are completely out of control. Same with mounts amigo