Looks soo good but my Eyes are burning?

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
I know I am not renown as a vampire but these brightness and contrast changes have made the game look so much more real but that brightness of white, snow reflection of the sunlight is literally burning my eyes especially coming from the more northern territories like hyspellia.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
For some reason, I don't get the problem of the game being overly bright, because for me it isnt? Is it because a lot of people are cranking their gamma up because it temporarily works for dungeons?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Already had high gamma now, Need it to see but the lights brightness is just annoying. Having such a difference in contrast hurts peoples eyes,.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
For some reason, I don't get the problem of the game being overly bright, because for me it isnt? Is it because a lot of people are cranking their gamma up because it temporarily works for dungeons?
That's a good question, but I'm seeing it all over the place in streams, recordings, and screenshots. People wouldn't be streaming it that way and complaining for hours at a time, when they could adjust it themselves— would they?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I don't know. I have a pretty fancy schmancy monitor that has settings to differentiate between areas that should be dark and those that should be pitch black. I can see perfectly fine inside of dungeons except where its supposed to be completely dark. Yet the entire rest of the game looks perfectly fine. No blinding brightness anywhere. I think my brightness setting in general might be a bit too low, but I have no issues with dark or bright areas. And I dont have to change any settings at any time. I just run this one setting all the time. I went into the mino cave and it was a BIT dark in some areas (big cavern area and an odd hallway) I could easily fix that by changing the scrutiny on what is black and what is dark, but I don't want to.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Whats really weird about MO lighting. My last monitor, which was a good monitor, I couldnt see at all at night during combat alpha. I traded monitors with my brother because he got a new graphics card and wanted my freesync one, and bam, I could see perfectly at night. My friend got a new laptop and bam, he couldnt see at night. I dont get why this happens, but it really needs to be fixed.

The game needs one of those brightness adjustments when you start the game for the first time. Because its a really unfair playing field. At least pre this patch, I could see perfectly at night, but my friend cant. So until this is fixed theres no reason to screw with assorted lighting settings that can make it harder for people to see. Night should be as bright as possible, so that the people whos monitors want darkness to be too dark dont get screwed. Because when I couldnt see at night I would just log out.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I dont really have the burning eyes problem but i do think the new lighting (and whole atmosphere) is a bit too colourful and bright. It does look pretty and all, but for some reason i sometimes get nostalgic about the old MO1 feel. That dark, muted, gritty, melancoly, cloudy and grey look thats was Myrland in MO1.

now its all so bright and colourful and jolly. Sometimes just …too jolly. Its like playing LoL after Dota2. Everything is super bright and colourful and jolly. I much prefer the dark and mysterious feel of dota myself.

MO1 had a very similar feel to Dayz and it worked very well with the hard core, grittyness of both games.

now i often feel as if im in a bit of an acid trip. Especially around sunsets/sunrises.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
On low settings it looks like absolute garbage now. IDK how it looks with actual settings.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Whats really weird about MO lighting. My last monitor, which was a good monitor, I couldnt see at all at night during combat alpha. I traded monitors with my brother because he got a new graphics card and wanted my freesync one, and bam, I could see perfectly at night. My friend got a new laptop and bam, he couldnt see at night. I dont get why this happens, but it really needs to be fixed.

The game needs one of those brightness adjustments when you start the game for the first time. Because its a really unfair playing field. At least pre this patch, I could see perfectly at night, but my friend cant. So until this is fixed theres no reason to screw with assorted lighting settings that can make it harder for people to see. Night should be as bright as possible, so that the people whos monitors want darkness to be too dark dont get screwed. Because when I couldnt see at night I would just log out.
Its mainly determined by the monitors ability to contrast and display black colors. My screen has a function called black equalizer. Makes it possible to easily adjust the contrast between pitch black and dark areas. I've had it set on the same setting for about 7 months now. A lot of monitors are really good monitors but they have absolutely no way to differentiate between black and "black", or black and dark. You basically just crank up brightness and change gamma until you can see into the dark areas, but it'll be a mix of white blackness and different contrasts of grey and white. Looks horrible. On a monitor with good black equalization its just different shades of black. no "white" black. If you get what i mean. I mean just look at something black, even the black of the forum theme. Crank up the brightness and the black will turn more white. It has no depth.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
or... or... You stop cranking your gamma up to max and have patience until they're done with whatever lighting update they are doing?

Keep your settings at normal gaming levels and give feedback accordingly. instead of just complaining while having enough gamma to blind a mole.

Angelo

May 28, 2020
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
or... or... You stop cranking your gamma up to max and have patience until they're done with whatever lighting update they are doing?

Keep your settings at normal gaming levels and give feedback accordingly. instead of just complaining while having enough gamma to blind a mole.
If you are talking about me gamma hacking, you are totally wrong.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
If you are talking about me gamma hacking, you are totally wrong.
Gamma "hacking" implies more than just playing at higher than normal gamma. A lot of people play with much higher gamma than what you should be for games in general due to poor handling of shadows. There is a reason why a lot of games that take themselves seriously have a "brightness and gamma adjust" screen.

Reactions: Jatix

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Ya needing to crank gamma is garbage and shouldnt be the fix people use. The game just needs to have lightign that works for everyone, or have a darkness adjustment screen on launch like a lot of game. "adjust the brightness until you can just see the naked thursar"

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
When SV are done with the bigger patches before release and their lighting additions they should have a patch or two lined up exclusively for A) Making dungeon darkness work the same way night time darkness works B) Make increasing gamma effectively useless. What can they do to make sure we have a good darkness level in dungeons and in night time? Have a specific patch lined up for setting a standard. Have people give feedback of how the game looks for them with NORMAL gamma values, people can then try to get around it by increasing monitor and software settings and give feedback on that too. Then a follow up patch. If people are generally happy with the place they are at that time. Voila.

Darkness is needed for gameplay, you shouldnt be able to get around it by having a different monitor or cranking up brightness/gamma settings. There should be a point where you might have too low of these settings and the game might be too dark for you, but thats different than turning the entire game into a mess of white hued black contures.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
This is what MO2 needs.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bbihah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
yeah dont understand why MO2 doesnt have gamma adjustment when literally every monitor is different in gamma/contrast.

I ended up changing windows brightness/gamma settings to max which made the shadows dull enought where the contrast doesnt hurt my eyes anymore. Whole game looks white AF but I can actually see.