Lighting

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Look at this Horse.

cU4n4i5.jpg

It's hard to see because
a) It's night-time, but also
b) with the Torch right in front of you, it's hard to see past the Torch.
c) And my eyes are watering from the glare.
d) And these screenshots are here courtesy of a stream by https://www.twitch.tv/l_irix

Sunlight's very bright, shadows are darker than before due to increased contrast in the latest patch:

HRx6liL.png

See, also:

Reactions: Angelo

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Doesnt look like they are changing lighting again despite people still having issues with it.

It causes me and other people physical pain to play the game. The massive difference in contrast makes it where our eyes have to constantly readjust to see. Its day time but if you look at a person their shadow will cause your eyes to readjust, when you look away they adjust again. Its really bad for the eyes.

Its still just hard to see in general, lights are super bright at night and shadows are far too dark during the day. The screen looks white washed which makes the darkers contrast even more with the brights.

I would like the game to look more gritty. I didnt really like or carefor when the shaders where changed to make it more "cartoony" some patches ago. But with that change visibility was good so people didnt care as much. With the current lighting its just unpleasent to play and difficult to see even in the day time.

Also since the contrast is so much little issues in graphics are more noticeable at least on low settings. My grass is jagged with square edges as a example. Before with less contrast from shadows the blocky edges blured/merged with the back ground and was less noticeable. Now with dark shadows behind them all blocky low setting graphics are more noticeably blocky.

I really really hate this lighting/shader scheme, I dont like having to look at the screen now. Please revert and then try again. I do think the team can make the game shaders better but the current shaders make gameplay worse. Visibility is key for games.

Reactions: Raknor and Tuhtram

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I have over 95 hours of having to play with windows settings gama maxed out to see doing the day due to contrast. I really dont want my monitor to burn out.

didnt happen this patch but it really needs to be changes. I dont care if people think screen shots look better my monitor not breaking is more important.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I really dont want my monitor to burn out.
I really don't want your retinas to burn out.

Eyesight is another thing (besides just wrists, fingers, thumbs, carpal tunnels, necks, backs, leg veins) that can get RSI (Repetive Stress Injuries) and games shouldn't be ignorant of how they're contributing.

I've seen some suggest removing a ton of things, feature after feature, from the game: Mounted combat, Archery, Magic, Cooking, Reserves, Rep, Flagging, TC, seome weight classes, Haven.... maybe someone should suggest removing nighttime and the darkest parts of dusck and dawn, on the surface of the world, along with the extra contrast and sun glare. :cool:

Always seeing the full moon anyway, and it's always beer o'çlock in a Tavern, right?