Khurite guards in Morin Khur?

Sertorius

Mar 22, 2022
An excerpt from the Lore of Mortal Online 2 (A new Dawn, The Khurites and The Alvarin):

"This so-called battle went down in the Tindremic history books as the Heroic Conquest of Morin Khur, and to this day the city has been occupied, currently under the Procurator Gnaeus Avitus Tesqua."

Given this lore, how is it that Morin Khur is patrolled by Khurite guards and not Imperial guards?

Reactions: Favonius Cornelius

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
As far as I understand it, there was a rift between the western and eastern half of the empire. There is now a 2nd empire that covers all the Khurite territory.

Reactions: Serverus

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Don't have one. It's just what I was told. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the lore the RP community has is just based on conversations with Mats, the lore guy. Seems like for every bit of lore posted on the official website 5 times as much is just dropped in conversations and twitch streams making it incredibly hard for a newcomer to research this stuff.

D

Deleted member 44

There is no lore. The lore is updated and changed as they are fit. City could be controlled by one faction one day and then another the next with no fan fair or mention of anything changing. For example, they could host an even that would cause bandits to raid Meduli and then that would cause there to be more guards around Meduli. Nope there are just more guards in Meduli. They don't give two Fs about lore.

They changed all the priest in the game to fit their needs breaking all "lore".

D

Dracu

An excerpt from the Lore of Mortal Online 2 (A new Dawn, The Khurites and The Alvarin):

"This so-called battle went down in the Tindremic history books as the Heroic Conquest of Morin Khur, and to this day the city has been occupied, currently under the Procurator Gnaeus Avitus Tesqua."

Given this lore, how is it that Morin Khur is patrolled by Khurite guards and not Imperial guards?
Yup, its pretty bad when you have official lore that is inconsistent with the gameworld. Very "immersive"

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yup, its pretty bad when you have official lore that is inconsistent with the gameworld. Very "immersive"
Thats fine. If it wasnt for Henrik using lore as a excuse for bad gameplay and bad experiences from time to time

• Haha
D

Dracu

Thats fine. If it wasnt for Henrik using lore as a excuse for bad gameplay and bad experiences from time to time
i personally dont think that its fine, i do care for the lore aspect of a game when iam actually investing "some time" into it. It makes the world make sense... The current world (presented ingame) does not make much sense... This game has lore, it had somebody who cared alot for the lore... SV just refuses to use it...

Edit:
and so damn often you get some explanations and when you ask for source its like... trust me brah saw it on old forums in a 10 yo thread where mats made a comment somewhere... what a great way of delivering lore.

Falcon

May 28, 2020
i personally dont think that its fine, i do care for the lore aspect of a game when iam actually investing "some time" into it. It makes the world make sense... The current world (presented ingame) does not make much sense... This game has lore, it had somebody who cared alot for the lore... SV just refuses to use it...

Edit:
and so damn often you get some explanations and when you ask for source its like... trust me brah saw it on old forums in a 10 yo thread where mats made a comment somewhere... what a great way of delivering lore.
It's really sad too because if SV actually did use the lore that was created for the world, i'd argue that it would be one of the best in the industry lore wise.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020

As other rl empires did, I suppose the Tindremic authorities hired local barbarian guards and officials. There ought to be some Tindremic authority there, like guard officers or a magistrate, imo.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
As other rl empires did, I suppose the Tindremic authorities hired local barbarian guards and officials. There ought to be some Tindremic authority there, like guard officers or a magistrate, imo.

That would make sense if not for the fact Khurites are a separate faction that appears to dislike Tindremenes. Like I said though, I remember hearing that the empire split and the Khurite territory is under the control of a different emperor. I can't source this but 90% of the deep lore in this game is "Mats said once" anyway.

It would actually make a lot of sense and turn this into an England vs. France situation. In IRL history England was conquered by the Normans who also ruled much of France. So they were part of the same nation until a succession dispute where one brother ended up in control of England and one ended up in control of France. This was followed by a lot of fighting between the English and the French but the nobility stuck in England eventually had to embrace English culture and become "English" to secure the support of their people.

Another example would be the "Egyptian" Cleopatra. Thing is, she wasn't Egyptian. She was Greek. A descendent of one of Alexander The Great's officers. But by Cleopatra's day Egypt had been separate from the Macedonian empire long enough that we think of the Ptolemaic dynasty as Egyptian.

So basically per lore, the Khurites are controlled by a Tindremic dynasty. But at this point that dynasty is integrated into the Khurites.

Reactions: Reimar

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
It's really sad too because if SV actually did use the lore that was created for the world, i'd argue that it would be one of the best in the industry lore wise.
Good point. I agree the lore has potential. If taken seriously it could rival The Elder Scrolls lore wise. The problem is they don't take it very seriously. If they did, Henrik would fire Mats and hire a real Loremaster to make videos on this stuff and also explain it in an official wikipedia. Also a decent timeline will help a ton. I've seen lesser games take the time to produce a timeline of eras and events.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
What Mats said in passing on Discord one day is not acceptable official canon. I know he is the writer of it, but if it isn't at least posted in some forum, or a part of the main web pages's lore section, then it just isn't real as far as I am concerned.

The reasons should be pretty obvious: anyone can show up here and suggest that Mats said a lot of different things, and maybe he did, maybe he didn't, maybe he said one thing while drunk one night then forgot it next month. Must be committed to writing or it didn't happen.

There is only one true Tindremic Emperor, Imperator Isaios Avitus, and his Empire now extends from Tindrem to Meduli, Faburnum, and gloriously, Morin Khur. Long live the Empire!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
fire Mats and hire a real Loremaster

WOW. Rip in peace MATSU.

I thought you guys liked Mats' stuff? You haven't seen the original Swedish tomes yet? Swedish Meatball Scrolls? No, but, the fuck is lore anyway? Why do they need videos. I could write this shit. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could write this shit. Unless Mats is ON DA BENCH (which may be true,) fuck it. So much lore has been created by the game play loop, and I know people have pushed back on this, but the game needs to define some of the lore, too. I mean... it's easy to infer some things from just looking at chars and cities and stuff. Make things connect, that's what lore is. Lore can be wack because it doesn't conform to the game, in MO, that has a history, there is a chance to actually weave in lore base and history to make the Canon. I mean, even if things were said to have happened for different reasons, I dunno if someone is gonna come back and contest it (too hard, and they can easily be censored! LET'S BE REAL.) The vid could be footage from MO oldshite. Or they could play out some stuff in MO2. Seems like that would be legit, opposed to like CG or w/e.

I almost feeling like reading the official lore, but I dunno. From what I understand of it, I have never read it.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
What Mats said in passing on Discord one day is not acceptable official canon. I know he is the writer of it, but if it isn't at least posted in some forum, or a part of the main web pages's lore section, then it just isn't real as far as I am concerned.

The reasons should be pretty obvious: anyone can show up here and suggest that Mats said a lot of different things, and maybe he did, maybe he didn't, maybe he said one thing while drunk one night then forgot it next month. Must be committed to writing or it didn't happen.
Maybe your age is showing, but I agree. Somewhat.

The Discord search function is no substitute for a central reference collection.
Forum search functions (which will (in some cases) never work properly) are not great either, over a span of fourteen years and basically three different forums. With closed sections. And with a three year gap.

The truth of What Mats Once Said is also that Star Vault, having been basically joking (to use the kindest possible term) about the Lore being written down but in 'advanced Swedish', one day retconned the specifics of that story to something about it being written down on various kinds of paper (including, maybe, paper napkins & restaurant place-mats?) and in hand-drawings and what-not, instead of being collated. (I can only think that also means that they don't have all of what was scribbled, just 'kinda, sorta' remember it. That's how we got the so-called "Babunta beast": someone not remembering what it was to be called at a crucial junctures and, apparently, having to go with his imagination.)

A reasonable person might wan to research the lore of the game without joining a Discord server or a guild or even rolling a character first.

If (or when) for emergent developmental reasons Star Vault might want to revise, retcon, or specify some part of their game's lore, they'd do better to have a central & otherwise static text to detail the changes in. Beats having Henrik mention it while dodging Spurts during the third hour of a six hour Twitch stream— which could happen.

I thought you guys liked Mats' stuff?
Too many of us spent too many years of frustration in most attempts to get more of what Mats had to say, to find what Mats had said in simple text and to reliably quote it if we could find it to have enjoyed the total SV lore experience.*

But neither is everyone but you some kind of hive mind.

There is only one true Tindremic Emperor, Imperator Isaios Avitus, and his Empire now extends from Tindrem to Meduli, Fabernum [SPQR], and gloriously, Morin Khur. Long live the Empire!

A title, a name, and a style are no sufficient replacement for a visible, breathing, presence and active holding of court or addresses to a senate (AKA bunch of old men), are they? Can you blame others for thinking he seems ripe for a coup, especially in the face of such apathy over the issue as most citizens & subject peoples seem to display?

The library of Tindrem should have much more use to the people of the Empire than it seemingly does— but then what is one to expect from an Empire who wrote down laws & principles on gold leaves and then, later, couldn't find them? Might as well let he who has the gold make the rules?

----
*Also, through no-one's fault but that of the Duke of Wessex, I and some others acquired an aversion to stories about how something was created on a napkin, though to be fair, that guild lore creation was more coöperative & accessible than the lore of this game has historically been.

• Love
Reactions: Raknor and Serverus

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
Maybe your age is showing, but I agree. Somewhat.

The Discord search function is no substitute for a central reference collection.
Forum search functions (which will (in some cases) never work properly) are not great either, over a span of fourteen years and basically three different forums. With closed sections. And with a three year gap.

Haha! You have a point there, I actually looked and found his posts on Discord. It's hard to sort out the many bits and pieces though, it's quite a mess actually. It's dangerous to lean on a casual conversation recording service, like this or Teams, because many of these have a time limitation on how long it will be stored and viewable. I am on the fence as to whether I should view these incidental conversations as official canon or only what's on the web page, but I think I am leaning towards only web page.

In fact, I am set on web page being the only official and active canon for this reason: Mats writing it is just the beginning. On some level, these writings need to be translated to in game reality and I am sure there is a bit of a screen with Henrik's approval before it is official, so just because you can find a scrap of napkin with something Mats wrote on it, does not make it official canon.

Last edited: