Items that can be stolen from the environment

May 30, 2020
One of my very favorite things to do in Ultima Online was play a thief. I never stole from players. Uo had a mechanic that would spawn in stealable items all over the world, in dungeons, in npc houses. Snow globes, goblets, even paintings. None had a fighting capability, it was just a competition between thieves to steal from difficult places. These items could then be sold, used in your home or guild keep. It requires high skill in stealing, you had to be stealthy, and you sometimes needed to defend yourself. Other players could also follow thieves, or camp at locations where a rare object spawns and kill the thief after the successfully stole the item.
I made millions selling items I stole. These items could, I suppose, be sold to a fence. Stolen items could flag guards, unless taken from places like dungeons which would be treated as loot. Having a reason for high level thievery would make a reason other than lock picking and griefing. I would even add the caveat that stolen items, could be then stolen again. Imagine stealing a tapestry from Minotaur dungeon. Selling it to a high level guild. Then sneaking onto their property to try and steal it back, requiring a much higher skill check to succeed. Doors can be locked, and should be. It would require a lot of skill to get into some houses and keeps just to try. You could even make a failure cause some kind of noise (to bring guild mates or guards running), or cause a bleeding injury when failing. Additional risk. Can’t steal from friends, guild mates or allies.
It would be fun, get people travelling, and flush out a dead skill set.
-Vynn

DrChaoz

May 28, 2020
Germany
Basically a good idea. But what about performance in a city when there are a lot of players and a lot more Items around?

In MO1 it was a very bad performance when there were more than about 50 players. Without extra Lootable Items nearby.

Reactions: Sleven and Speznat
May 30, 2020
Well, there were not that many stealable items in a single area, and they took some time to respawn 8 hours, 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days so there wouldn’t be a large amount of items in any area at one time. They are rare. It took me 6 years to get the painting in doom dungeon in UO. I could see Tindrem having a few, maybe 10 tops. Other towns, just a a few. Caves a few. A bunch in the dungeons. It’s all spread out though. Random NPC houses. I don’t think it would be that big a load. For all intents, the spawn locations are static so would already be another part of the world whether in place or not. It would just become visible at the end of the timers.

Reactions: Sleven and PatWins

DrChaoz

May 28, 2020
Germany
And what about the idea of stealing objects from other players houses. I don't like the idea of logging in after 3 days because I didn't have time to play and then I see that my house has been cleared.

For me noone should be able to Steal from other Players Houses. Not everyone can afford a guard.

Apart from my criticism, it's a great idea. Love it

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Really like it. Thieves never had much to do except trying to steal from players or get into a palisade and house and hope for open chest or be dicks and steal anything from players not for profit but just because why not.

And I agree with DrChaoz with that we dont need pickable player doors or chests but if left open free for all so to speak.

JudgeDrev

May 28, 2020
Fabernum's Soup Kitchen
Well, there were not that many stealable items in a single area, and they took some time to respawn 8 hours, 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days so there wouldn’t be a large amount of items in any area at one time. They are rare. It took me 6 years to get the painting in doom dungeon in UO. I could see Tindrem having a few, maybe 10 tops. Other towns, just a a few. Caves a few. A bunch in the dungeons. It’s all spread out though. Random NPC houses. I don’t think it would be that big a load. For all intents, the spawn locations are static so would already be another part of the world whether in place or not. It would just become visible at the end of the timers.
We want everything!!!

Alrashid

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
I really like the idea of stealing from some special npcs and yes houses should be save ... but there should be something to earn if u sneak inside an enemy pally or smth.