Is there a plan to nerf magic soon?

oldeurope

Sep 7, 2021
U can shoot most elemetal spells with arrows, so they burst before they reach your position right?
"Bows out!" *shouting*

Matze88

Nov 3, 2022
This is a bit misleading. While it is true, melee damage is easily negated with blocking, using a shield to create equipment hits and or just running away.

If a mage is good at parrying he can survive a long time against a melee.

On the other side, magic damage can only be negated by magic shield, which most melee builds do not have.

So mages can block melee damage in many ways, but melee cant do anything about magic damage. That is what makes magic damage OP especially when its multiple mages that focus fire.
Well while the mage can block melee attacks, he also won’t cast anything and doesn’t get much done himself while doing it.

Meleebuilds not including the magicshield is clearly an issue with the build and could be adjusted.

Mages also usually invest points to survive in melee combat so why shouldn’t melees have to do the same ?

Yes mage focusfire is a problem but when 5 melees focus one mage he is also screwed ;)

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
The game went into very weird direction.
PVP build around pleasing magician became boring and childish.
Flaying magic balls like in Darkfall sucks,make me wanna puke.
I do not want to be a background for mages when playing frontline soldier.
You gonna tell me to adjust?yes I am looking for new game.

Yes I am disappointed and I would like to see if there is more players who lost interest in MO2 after last path.
Space Thursar "hold my beer"

• Haha
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Its almost as if the past 8 or so months of development was put solely into magic. Oh wait. It has.
Necromancy, improvements to static spells (casting while moving) , huge buff to mounted magery, HUGE NERF to mounted archery...

Its almost as if, in comparison to the foot fighters one year ago, the foot fighters now are so much worse that its not even worth playing them.
But hey, SV said they will eventually make some kind of abilities for melee too no? Maybe after TC in 10 more years

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Just a question: For how much does a fireball hit you on average? As a mage (Ecumenical only) + tamer i hit people for about 50-60dmg with my most damaging spells while negating their armor. I don't think that's OP but It is strong. If Ele does way more damage, then it needs a severe nerf. I would actially argue that it should do less dmg than Ecumenical because it's AoE damage. 30-40dmg should be enough for an AoE-Spell with that kind of reach
That's right about where it is.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
That's right about where it is.
Its also a slow projectile that outside of point blank you can dodge without even having to sprint.
Magic reflect 1 for 1 completely counters it at any range other than point blank.
At Point blank the mage is most likely hitting himself too.

On top of that mental projectile has about the same range for same damage(and goes through reflects), thunderlash has same damage for less mana and flamestrike has more damage for shorter range.

The situation where elementalism is actually strong is extremely limited, but every school doesn't have to be strong in every situation, with more spells coming soon there will be more decisions in picking the right spell for the correct moment so its far from useless even as it is now.

Reactions: Elijah

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Different builds work in different situations, it is inappropriate to talk about reducing magic damage.
What if a Dexian magician opened a post with a call to reduce the damage with a sledgehammer because he is killed with a single blow?
this lol... too real my 87 HP can be deleted twice over by one hit from a footie ;P I do this to myself

Last edited:

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021

Yes I am disappointed and I would like to see if there is more players who lost interest in MO2 after last path.
This game has absolutely ZEROOOOO interest in being balanced. That is the sad truth.

This game will NEVER be balanced because then all the bobs will quit.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021

It's pretty easy to check the population of the game... If you try. Steady growth for a while now. That's probably not what you want to hear, though, is it? Probably just trying to affirm what you already think. ;P

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
You don't want to end up in a stagnate game. Evolving combat metas and changing balances are what keeps games fresh. It's an ongoing thing. Albion and Eve are constantly balancing and introducing new viable builds. Steamcharts are up every month since Starvault started releasing mage patches. The parry style melee combat is actually pretty boring by mmo standards, you'll need other builds to attract a wider range of players for a populations sake and a MMO is only as good as its population, no one can play a dead MMO.

That being said I hope they introduce some melee abilities for you, maybe a small speed boost or small gap closer that comes with a secondary to weapon spec to 100. That way more races would be better at solo fighter so we can stop seeing veela everywhere. If they give melee gap closers maybe we could see more full run mage abilities or utility and mage could become a better option for solo players that don't want to handcuffed to pets. They really need to nerf all pet shit into the ground and promote better gaming.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
The parry style combat would be awesome if it performed equally for everyone. However it doesnt, as its heavily effected by ping. So for the large majority of players that simply dont want to be gimped in melee by their higher ping, magic is the only choice available.

Its either that or quit the game.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
It's pretty easy to check the population of the game... If you try. Steady growth for a while now. That's probably not what you want to hear, though, is it? Probably just trying to affirm what you already think. ;P
Yeap SV broke their vision of soft fantasy rather dry moody world.Henric on stream was talking about original magic not flying balls.Now the game is crap as any hardcore fantasy.Adults playing magicians after work?Got better stuff to do.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Yet melee are still stronger.

Curious.
They are reaaaally not. Mages are so much more versatile, it's insane how much better a mage is.
A mage is mainly better in a group fight, he literally only has to hover over you, to have his mouse pointer on you and you take damage, but, let's just depict, for the sake of an argument, a 1v1 with a melle.

Let's take the absolute worst situation possible for the mage. He is fighting against a Veela foot fighter (Because a veela is the only one who can actually catch him, all the other melee builds automatically lose against a mage by default) .
What can the mage do against that veela? Well, of course, he can call his terrorbird to f him up.
Oh, he is not a tamer? no problem, he can simply run away at the same or more speed until they are both out of stamina, even if he is hit once or twice, the Veela will run out of stamina before killing the mage when running in a straight line because, guess what, swinging a sword also takes away your stamina.

And all of this is disregarding whether that mage is a necromancer, who could automatically win with 3 big zombies.

Unironically do not see a reason to play Melee as of now. At all. Its way, way worse.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
ironically the most dangerous and feared enemie for all no-alvarians are the naked mages, they jump run swimm faster than anyone and have insane range of thunderlash that hit 45 on psy fighters and 60 on 10psy fighters. u can kill them only in in a plain without trees, stones , water. naked with zombies and maybe a pet why not. if u lucky enough to find a house.. well u get fireballed ahah. the only balance i can see..is to nerf a bit TL FULM range.

Reactions: Locke and Zbuciorn

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
ironically the most dangerous and feared enemie for all no-alvarians are the naked mages, they jump run swimm faster than anyone and have insane range of thunderlash that hit 45 on psy fighters and 60 on 10psy fighters. u can kill them only in in a plain without trees, stones , water. naked with zombies and maybe a pet why not. if u lucky enough to find a house.. well u get fireballed ahah. the only balance i can see..is to nerf a bit TL FULM range.
A nerf would not solve the main issue at hand. Mages are not strong because of their damage numbers, to put it into perspective, even if you give a thursar foot fighter double the damage numbers, he would still be weaker than mages.
Mages are strong because of the insane level of complexity and versatility that a footfighter does not poses.
What needs to happen is that footies need a similar level of versatility.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
A nerf would not solve the main issue at hand. Mages are not strong because of their damage numbers, to put it into perspective, even if you give a thursar foot fighter double the damage numbers, he would still be weaker than mages.
Mages are strong because of the insane level of complexity and versatility that a footfighter does not poses.
What needs to happen is that footies need a similar level of versatility.
im not talking about damage, but a spell range reduction on offensive spells, maybe reduce -30% range of dmg spells and give +10%range on heals. calculating the distance for a mage is the only skill for them, they just hover mouse and 1 click pets otherwise. just look at mental projectile insane range and bypass magic reflect, or if im in water with 100 swimm vs mage 0 swimm ..he still wins bcause TL range is insane in water before im able to swimm to him and use melee

Reactions: Locke and Zbuciorn

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Never had a foot fighter really chase me with a sword. The successful ones pull out a bow. Also as a mage Im really careful with damagespells in general. Thunderlash also does 54-68dmg at 132(!!!) Int. That's not a fast character or it's a character that can get oneshot with a bow.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
They are reaaaally not. Mages are so much more versatile, it's insane how much better a mage is.
A mage is mainly better in a group fight, he literally only has to hover over you, to have his mouse pointer on you and you take damage, but, let's just depict, for the sake of an argument, a 1v1 with a melle.

Let's take the absolute worst situation possible for the mage. He is fighting against a Veela foot fighter (Because a veela is the only one who can actually catch him, all the other melee builds automatically lose against a mage by default) .
What can the mage do against that veela? Well, of course, he can call his terrorbird to f him up.
Oh, he is not a tamer? no problem, he can simply run away at the same or more speed until they are both out of stamina, even if he is hit once or twice, the Veela will run out of stamina before killing the mage when running in a straight line because, guess what, swinging a sword also takes away your stamina.

And all of this is disregarding whether that mage is a necromancer, who could automatically win with 3 big zombies.

Unironically do not see a reason to play Melee as of now. At all. Its way, way worse.
Not really.
Thunder lash does around 45 damage. A 123 dex vheela has 140 mana so he can cast 4 T-lashes for about 180 damage. Thats not enough damage to kill a full HP warrior before going out of mana. All the warriror has to do is pop 1 bandage to guarantee survival and the mage will be out of mana, unable to finish.
Also, the mage would have to stand almost still for about 12 seconds to cast and release 4 T-lashes. A warrior can deal full damage at full speed and it only takes 2, or max 3 swings (about 6 seconds), to kill a 150 hp dex mage. Yes, the mage can block and survive a bit, but he cant get away and certainly cant win a melee fight vs a geared warrior. Once the warrior is in melee range the mage is dead.

If the mage runs he cant deal damage. Even vheela warriors have more stamina than vheela mages so once the chase is over the warrior still has stam to swing a sword enough for 3 hits.

All that talk about pets and necro can be had by a warrior just as easily, most mages have it because otherwise they cant kill anything.

On top of that a warrior can just take out a bow and out dps a mage 2 to 1 with his paper armour and low hp, while tanking any magic damage simply with his high HP. A long bow will melt a mage and even a short bow will out dps the mage as he will run out of mana.

Only a bad warrior loses a 1vs1 against a dex mage.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkWizz