In Depth Comparison of Crosshair and Arrow Tip Aiming (Archery!)

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

That's the follow up to this vid, which was lackin info, apparently.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
@Robmo If you can do me a solid, can you somehow at least bring up to Henrik that he view that first video and even if they leave in the 'crosshair,' center out the aim so that it's shooting the same shot. Pleease?

Lufan

Sep 21, 2021

That's the follow up to this vid, which was lackin info, apparently.

I get what you're saying
But with the current camera shake while aiming and the archery nerf I don't see a point of nerfing archers even more.
It takes us about 500 points to become MA's, goes in expense of maaaany other fighting/defending aspects we can barely even be proper MA's bc no points for balance/veterinary, barely anatomy & endurance, not to mention heavy armor and the defensive/aggressive stances

Now with the necromancers and tower shields you want to take that option from us too? No thank you.

Even with that thing being implemented it takes skill to land a proper shot (headshot), so please.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I get what you're saying
But with the current camera shake while aiming and the archery nerf I don't see a point of nerfing archers even more.
It takes us about 500 points to become MA's, goes in expense of maaaany other fighting/defending aspects we can barely even be proper MA's bc no points for balance/veterinary, barely anatomy & endurance, not to mention heavy armor and the defensive/aggressive stances

Now with the necromancers and tower shields you want to take that option from us too? No thank you.

Even with that thing being implemented it takes skill to land a proper shot (headshot), so please.

suppp, yeah, I was asking for this before wobble. I am speccing full because I wanna see if what they said is true about 'steady aim,' cuz at a full sprint it was almost pure luck to plug someone w/ a bow, and while I do suck at raw aiming, my rhythm is good cuz sports games. If they loosened that up, it still sucks you can't hit people on the ground who are zigging, but you can practically run, jump, and shoot... all kinds of stuff is opened. I have a feeling they didn't, just added something on top that is 'eased.'

Same with 3rd speed 'wobble' at low MA, it's too much in a lot of cases. Like any non 100 spec MA is gonna have a really tough time. It was def a 'nerf,' but it's not that bad, and I still believe it's going to get re-tweaked.

HOWEVER! To comment on what I am saying, I am on the belief SV probably doesn't even understand what they did. They effectively gave people who use crosshair (and already 'meant to be easier' mechanic,) MORE RANGE at normal bow heights (higher release) and a more forgiving arc (higher release, again, take it from a bball player. PUT SOME ARC ON IT, etc.) It's actually not even a balance thing but something that is completely outside of physics and you would have to be a nostalgia or immersion nerd to play with arrow tip. I like arrow tip.

I'd prefer if they chilled wobble and made the arrow come out of WHERE THE ARROW IS regardless. But I doubt it'll happen, sadly. That's a big factor in everyone being 'good at MA' though. It's like lobbing something instead of shooting it. It's ugly and unrealistic for a first person 'serious game.' It's the most gamey part of the game.

Reactions: Lufan

Lufan

Sep 21, 2021
suppp, yeah, I was asking for this before wobble. I am speccing full because I wanna see if what they said is true about 'steady aim,' cuz at a full sprint it was almost pure luck to plug someone w/ a bow, and while I do suck at raw aiming, my rhythm is good cuz sports games. If they loosened that up, it still sucks you can't hit people on the ground who are zigging, but you can practically run, jump, and shoot... all kinds of stuff is opened. I have a feeling they didn't, just added something on top that is 'eased.'

Same with 3rd speed 'wobble' at low MA, it's too much in a lot of cases. Like any non 100 spec MA is gonna have a really tough time. It was def a 'nerf,' but it's not that bad, and I still believe it's going to get re-tweaked.

HOWEVER! To comment on what I am saying, I am on the belief SV probably doesn't even understand what they did. They effectively gave people who use crosshair (and already 'meant to be easier' mechanic,) MORE RANGE at normal bow heights (higher release) and a more forgiving arc (higher release, again, take it from a bball player. PUT SOME ARC ON IT, etc.) It's actually not even a balance thing but something that is completely outside of physics and you would have to be a nostalgia or immersion nerd to play with arrow tip. I like arrow tip.

I'd prefer if they chilled wobble and made the arrow come out of WHERE THE ARROW IS regardless. But I doubt it'll happen, sadly. That's a big factor in everyone being 'good at MA' though. It's like lobbing something instead of shooting it. It's ugly and unrealistic for a first person 'serious game.' It's the most gamey part of the game.
I was recently told that foot fighters who don't have aiming technique/controlled aiming can still use bows properly because they don't get the mount's wobble and the wobble they have atm isnt as great
So that still makes things very unbalanced.
For that case they should maybe increase the wobble for the foot archers while aiming without controlled aiming skill

And also, to find a better way to put your suggestion in practice, maybe make it that only if you get aiming technique/controlled aiming maxed (or at 70 points for example) -> Only THEN you get the option to aim further without using the arrow tip.

That'd be a bit of a nice buff for archers compared to fighters, and would be able to make things a little more balanced I suppose.