Improve Damage for Mounted Charge attack parries

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
So uh...

About that question nobody answered before everyone started arguing about MO1...

How much damage bleed through parry do you all feel is reasonable for a full speed charge that uses 50-60% of mount stam?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I believe about 0. They should take 5 minutes to line each attack and about 56 hits to kill someone because they aren't foot melee.

• Haha
Reactions: MolagAmur

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
So uh...

About that question nobody answered before everyone started arguing about MO1...

How much damage bleed through parry do you all feel is reasonable for a full speed charge that uses 50-60% of mount stam?
20%, you can make it so that you charge only the last split second then stop after the hit

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
the thing is MC is "balanced" for fat axes so i guess you would make axes broken when you balance for spear mounted combat.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
the thing is MC is "balanced" for fat axes so i guess you would make axes broken when you balance for spear mounted combat.

A Kallardian double axe does about 3 damage from the back of a mount when wielded by a roided up Thursar. Once you go over a certain weight threshold you take penalties. Big ones. So if it's balanced for fat axes, it's not balanced at all.

*The person who tested it doesn't have MC so that does factor into it however it gave messages about being overweight so unless MC raises the weight of a weapon you can use while mounted that's definitely part of why the damage is so terrible.

Last edited:

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
So uh...

Your OP and this post I assume are still talking about Spears.

Even at 3+ kg, a spear is still pointed, and long. A proper parry isn't just someone holding up their weapon and eating the hit (blocking, literally), a proper parry is a deflection or redirection. A large pointed stick (for simplicity), no matter how heavy or fast moving, would be able to be deflected easily if timed correctly. I do not think there should be any chip damage or 'bleed through' on peircing attacks.

Blunt on the other hand, sure. I totally think so. Trying to deflect a club is an entirely different story. The mass and momentum are not all focused along a line to a single point. There SHOULD be chip or 'bleed through' with this. I think a calculation should be made, not just a flat amount. Something like:

• Attacker vs Defender stats:
    • Weapon Weight
    • Damage Type (Slash and Blunt primarily)
    • Strength,
    • Weight (rider AND mount),
    • Velocity (speed)
The outcome would weigh those variables and then deliver damage through the parry (or not) dynamically.

Reactions: Rorry

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I don't think something weighing 3.6kg moving at 48km/h is going to be easily deflected or redirected by a 1-handed sword unless you're an anime character...lol

That being said this is a game where you can parry a maul with a dagger so what do I know

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
I just want to ride through unmounted peasants like I was a knight of Rohan. So what if it ruins the game for everyone else.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I don't think something weighing 3.6kg moving at 48km/h is going to be easily deflected or redirected by a 1-handed sword unless you're an anime character...lol

That being said this is a game where you can parry a maul with a dagger so what do I know
I have advocated many times that blunt damage should hit through parries, so IMO a Maul would still injury a dagger user most of the time - using a formula, of course.

It's physics. The spear thing? It's physics. I challenge you to go outside with a friend or family member, and do some practice. If you have a long, thin (relatively speaking) object, with the guiding force of it being a human(oid) arm (yes i know theyre on a horse, that doesnt change what is holding the weapon), no matter what the velocity is, the tip WILL be able to be deflected (with general ease) if the defender is fast enough.

If my explanation isn't connecting with you (to be fair i am not a scientist), I recommend you do some research, or explore the challenge I gave to you.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
They made it so there was bleed through damage but then buffed blocking to negate nearly all of it. Net effect, blocking became a mandatory skill for anyone who ever parries anything.

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
The problem with MC is it's just not fun. It's over powered as it is. I get it some of you are MLG pro MO 1 played for 14 years. Now take new players into consideration. They walk around in vender gear finally find their first razerback spawn and get literally one shot by MC. (161 damage)

Mobility will always be king in every game there is. Can we ask ourselves why this is? You can outrun everything and never risk a thing. You can get away from bad situations very easily in comparison.

In my opinion mounts should only be used to travel. It should not be used as a weapon. The second they added mounted combat it became less fun. My biggest concern here is that it'll become even less fun if people like this are actually taken seriously. I think the player base speaks for itself. If mounts only get worse then why would you even feel like it would be okay to speak about DPS. It already takes 5 oghs sync'd up to take out one persons mount..... I've heard every MO1 vet speak about how MC was never a problem you can dismount them and kill them. Everything sounds better on paper then it actually works out in games. There was a video that was linked where was the punishment? Oh right the mage just sacrificed his own hp so that the MC couldn't do damage for 10 seconds.

If you guys want MO1 then MO2 will die in the same exact fashion unless something is changed.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The problem with MC is it's just not fun. It's over powered as it is. I get it some of you are MLG pro MO 1 played for 14 years. Now take new players into consideration. They walk around in vender gear finally find their first razerback spawn and get literally one shot by MC. (161 damage)

Mobility will always be king in every game there is. Can we ask ourselves why this is? You can outrun everything and never risk a thing. You can get away from bad situations very easily in comparison.

In my opinion mounts should only be used to travel. It should not be used as a weapon. The second they added mounted combat it became less fun. My biggest concern here is that it'll become even less fun if people like this are actually taken seriously. I think the player base speaks for itself. If mounts only get worse then why would you even feel like it would be okay to speak about DPS. It already takes 5 oghs sync'd up to take out one persons mount..... I've heard every MO1 vet speak about how MC was never a problem you can dismount them and kill them. Everything sounds better on paper then it actually works out in games. There was a video that was linked where was the punishment? Oh right the mage just sacrificed his own hp so that the MC couldn't do damage for 10 seconds.

If you guys want MO1 then MO2 will die in the same exact fashion unless something is changed.
Well said. I wouldn't be upset if mounts were just for travel either, but I know a lot of people wouldn't like that and SV wouldn't let it happen anyway. You do have to ask yourself though, when people say mounteds should be "realistic" or "balanced" and throw in the words "one shot", why would you ever choose to be on foot? That's pretty much how MO1 ended up. Mounteds do the most damage, have the most HP, are the fastest, are less boring on roams bc of travel time, stam isn't really an issue, can hit through blocks, just hold left click to hit and never have to time a block, etc.

I understand this thread isn't about MO1, but its natural for people to always think about it when a suggestion is brought up. So looking back at how things unfolded for mounted combat, we can make smart decisions to not repeat them in MO2.

As for the topic, I dont think you should just be able to hit through parries. I'm fine with a small bit of bleed through, but even a 20 damage hit through a parry is just annoying with how frequent multiple mounteds can hit you. And doing some formula where it calculates your strength, armor defense, block skill, etc seems overcomplicated and will just make the already meta of plate armored warriors even more meta...

Tldr; idfk, its almost inevitable its gonna be mounted online again so does it really matter?

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
but imagine the horse physics were even halfway realistic. That means it takes a minute to pick up speed

I take it you've never actually ridden a horse before?

Believe it or not, I have. They don't take that long to reach their full speed potential. Their entire survival strategy as a species is to run away as fast as they possibly can.

Edit: I have nothing further to elaborate on that point. I just read this and wanted to correct this train of thought. My part in this thread is over, I'm going to work now. Bye.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It really depends on the bread and training. A calf roping horse is a athlete able to go 0 - top in under a second. War horses would be the same I imagine.
A shetlen pony is great for keeping a steady trot for long distances but I don't imagine its going to go 0-top speed that quick.