If You Do Two Servers, Here's How to Make the Final Decision

How Would You Like Multiple Servers Implemented?

• Just do it. It needs to be done.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Verify the decision with data (Using this method or another).

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Don't do it period.

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Depends on where the data is coming from. The current testing population is extremely small, are we going to use that as the base to pull our data from? Even on a regional server you'll need some kind of padding to keep the client and server in sync, but it won't be nearly as invasive as the janky ass solution we have now where things are being held together with duck tape and bubble gum.

The fact is that MO2 needs regional servers, it shouldn't even be an argument. Full loot, directional combat, asset destruction, monthly fee. 4 reasons why there absolutely, positively needs to be an NA and an EU server solution. Last Oasis has directional combat, they have regional servers for that very reason. Life is Feudal initially had regional servers before the population dropped off due to the game being shit. Dark Fall had regional servers. Games like Elder Scrolls Online have regional servers because no one wants to play with 200+ ms, even in a game where you're risking nothing.

If they go with the two continent, two region solution. That has to be implemented day one of EA. It also has to balanced. Can't have a situation where one continent has all the primo resources, and the other continent has shit.
Agreed 100%.

The game hasn't released yet, SV still have time (and could delay further for all I care, I want a good product to release rather than a bad one.) to rectify this issue with actual solutions rather than temporary solutions that will get seen through day one.

This man gave hard examples both of mechanics and even games where this wouldn't be tolerated, and they all fall under the MMO category and even under the Hardcore category.

Again, if we had the technology to make one server, one world work where we all connected to a single server and everything played fine - I'd be for it. Sadly, we do not and people hedging on bets that it'll be here is not a concrete solution nor something I'd put stock in.

I don't understand why this time around we should sacrifice our gameplay for other players to enjoy a more seamless experience while we have a fucked one, and they have to deal with us having a fucked one.

It's not fair to us, and it's not fair to them.

And again, for those of you talking about the population not being enough.. guess what? If the game is good - the players will come, this is not really a debatable topic. If you think MO2 can't sustain a healthy population because of 2 servers, then you actually lack trust in the content of MO2. Which is a good thing - you should always question the direction of a game if it doesn't seem right.

I'm telling you now, a single server isn't the right way at the expense of other players ability to experience the game.

This would also allow SV to centralize the EU server more so that players even not in the EU could have better ping as well. It would just be all around better, and would allow a more smooth gameplay experience.

If you're against that, then I'm against you; bottom line.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
And again, for those of you talking about the population not being enough.. guess what? If the game is good - the players will come, this is not really a debatable topic. If you think MO2 can't sustain a healthy population because of 2 servers, then you actually lack trust in the content of MO2. Which is a good thing - you should always question the direction of a game if it doesn't seem right.

I'm telling you now, a single server isn't the right way at the expense of other players ability to experience the game.

This would also allow SV to centralize the EU server more so that players even not in the EU could have better ping as well. It would just be all around better, and would allow a more smooth gameplay experience.

If you're against that, then I'm against you; bottom line.

I think people might make the argument that with people spread amongst two servers that the "content" (the content being the players) will be too spread thin. That's a valid argument, but if it's because the majority of players are NA, and the EU server is suffering population wise, that's even more the reason why there should be an NA based server. Personally I'd rather they delay the game till they can have things like base building and territorial control systems in the game; why these aren't core mechanics confuses me. Fighting over nothing is going to get old pretty fast, but fighting over nothing with all the current problems the game has with latency and the such is going to even be more of an issue.

TARG3T

Nov 26, 2020
As I'm very new to the MO community I tend to lurk the forums more than jump in and state my opinion. In this instance I would like to jump in though as its been said a lot already, this is an important discussion point. Take the following with some salt as I didn't play MO1 (unfortunately for me) and have only been around MO2 since Oct.

TL : DR - Regional servers via continents YES

As a west coast USA player with a fairly consistent 140 latency (note, ping is only 1 direction of the signal), I would push for regional continents at a minimum. In my ~68 hours of game time thus far in MO2, it matters. I have been in combat scenarios getting hit before my opponents animation is even swinging, and been hit with my opponent literally facing the other direction still. In this type of game, you need a player base yes but your player base will not stay in number without a quality experience. The aforementioned experiences are really anything but quality, and (to bring in another topic) adding magic in so that i get a fireball to the face before the user even casts will not improve quality or drastically change the way combat works overall, It will still be death before animation.

I enjoy playing the game even as is immensely (and all i do is die still), but then asking to pay monthly, for the same desynced experience but with more content, is a terminal play. Even as much as I enjoy everything about the game thus far, I would only be willing to pay for so long knowing there are players to literally steer clear of due to sheer inability to even try combating them, or continuing to lose hours of loot (and time, the most expensive currency of all) because I can't block someone who is looking away from me, but still slashing me down.

2 continents on separate servers but linked as 1 world would be the ideal outcome from where I stand. NA could combat against themselves over their land and the same for the EU continent. Raids on the other continents could be accomplished really by putting an instance barrier that requires loading into a specific port on the opposing continent, allowing a "transfer" request if you will. This also keeps world trade a viable option, and opens the door for sailing mechanics later down the road (maybe an ATLAS style sailing trigger at that point). Also not limiting the ability for any EU or NA player to play on the other continent with friends or Allys and still keeping 1 character per account.

As Handsome Young Man said, if the game is QUALITY, the player base will come. Trust in the content you create SV, and expand it to allow even more, don't hinder it to try for a goal that didn't seem to work well the first time. (Again I didn't play MO1 but seems like this problem isn't new)

Reactions: RaptorBlackz

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
As I'm very new to the MO community I tend to lurk the forums more than jump in and state my opinion. In this instance I would like to jump in though as its been said a lot already, this is an important discussion point. Take the following with some salt as I didn't play MO1 (unfortunately for me) and have only been around MO2 since Oct.

TL : DR - Regional servers via continents YES

As a west coast USA player with a fairly consistent 140 latency (note, ping is only 1 direction of the signal), I would push for regional continents at a minimum. In my ~68 hours of game time thus far in MO2, it matters. I have been in combat scenarios getting hit before my opponents animation is even swinging, and been hit with my opponent literally facing the other direction still. In this type of game, you need a player base yes but your player base will not stay in number without a quality experience. The aforementioned experiences are really anything but quality, and (to bring in another topic) adding magic in so that i get a fireball to the face before the user even casts will not improve quality or drastically change the way combat works overall, It will still be death before animation.

I enjoy playing the game even as is immensely (and all i do is die still), but then asking to pay monthly, for the same desynced experience but with more content, is a terminal play. Even as much as I enjoy everything about the game thus far, I would only be willing to pay for so long knowing there are players to literally steer clear of due to sheer inability to even try combating them, or continuing to lose hours of loot (and time, the most expensive currency of all) because I can't block someone who is looking away from me, but still slashing me down.

2 continents on separate servers but linked as 1 world would be the ideal outcome from where I stand. NA could combat against themselves over their land and the same for the EU continent. Raids on the other continents could be accomplished really by putting an instance barrier that requires loading into a specific port on the opposing continent, allowing a "transfer" request if you will. This also keeps world trade a viable option, and opens the door for sailing mechanics later down the road (maybe an ATLAS style sailing trigger at that point). Also not limiting the ability for any EU or NA player to play on the other continent with friends or Allys and still keeping 1 character per account.

As Handsome Young Man said, if the game is QUALITY, the player base will come. Trust in the content you create SV, and expand it to allow even more, don't hinder it to try for a goal that didn't seem to work well the first time. (Again I didn't play MO1 but seems like this problem isn't new)

:)