Ideas to reduce travel time, without destoying core mechanics of the game. (very important feedback to make the game enjoyable for players with a job)

Footwork

Dec 9, 2021
The game is not meant to ride over half the map and run through a dungeon within a few hours. When you change your location then do this for a week or more. Fill banks in most cities to be able to stay in that area for some time. With new continents the map will become even larger. And with more players the larger size is needed. Even with the current number of players there are too many player buildings around, everywhere small cities, a player village in front of Meduli e.g.

Server cannot hold more than like 1700 players. And we are losing playerbase cause of multiple issues. It's only gonna be worse when subs hit.

No queues, No server hiccups. Soon tm

Reactions: Gnidex and Tzone

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Server cannot hold more than like 1700 players. And we are losing playerbase cause of multiple issues. It's only gonna be worse when subs hit.

No queues, No server hiccups. Soon tm

But EPIC launch will bring in dozens of players.... To be honest I cant think of anyone who has the epic launcher.

• Haha
Reactions: Gnidex and Footwork

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The game is not meant to ride over half the map and run through a dungeon within a few hours. When you change your location then do this for a week or more. Fill banks in most cities to be able to stay in that area for some time. With new continents the map will become even larger. And with more players the larger size is needed. Even with the current number of players there are too many player buildings around, everywhere small cities, a player village in front of Meduli e.g.

I could run game out of prol every city, and I would enjoy it. I dunno what is MEANT in Mortal, but I definitely feel a lot of people are playing game play loops that I find stale. I got mats in places, but the thing is... you gotta go there. Like I said even Bakti/JC---> Hyl is like AIYE. I would love to be present in every town. I don't need to move mats; I can obtain them easily THEN I will move them.

I can go allll the way S and rubber band up N with home priest. Most of that TC shit is gonna get knocked down, bet.

I know other people are having different experiences than me, but in a lot of ways, this game is STALE AS FUCK. haha. I mean, I won't go into all my feelingz (in this thread.) My PoV is still to start at the bottom, make nubs shit gear, give them cheap horses, etc. Look at the prices in Bakti, fucking stupid shit. I'm not there. haha. I am there on and off, but not enough to push down any of their ridic prices. And yea, you might say that's by design, but if I could just get to the city faster, I'd do all the work FROM the city. I need ALL CHARS there.

Shit I got like 60 Khur rep, you telling me those doods wouldn't teleport me in? They'd prol have a red carpet.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
playing out of everycity is not peoples issue. Its the waste of time. Ghosting places is literally a waste of time, 0 content. This is one reason people have multiple accounts. I know one dude with 7 accounts of the same build just so he doesn't have to ghost run places, and he will sub every accounts because the hour it takes to ghost to places is worth paying 15usd to save that hour.

Its just unfun in a boring way, if you want to balance out travel do it in a fun way which doesnt waste peoples time.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Aside from reducing the world size(Which I still think needs to happen by at least 15% - 20%), there's other things that could be done. When people rather ghost from town to town, to avoid having to plan a play session to roam or farm somewhere across the map, that's an issue. There's a huge difference between iMmeRsIoN and tedious design. The game does not really respect the players time in a lot of areas. Things shouldn't be instant gratification, but a lot of things should not be as tedious as they are. Anyway, I'll stop ranting lel Here's my list :

• Bring horse shoes to MO2, like in MO1. Where horse shoes give a speed increase, though minor. Expand on it with craftable horse shoes, where differing mats which affect weight, speed and dura. This would also be a minor gold sink, which the game needs more of.​
  • Add speed buffs to all road types to give incentive to travel on roads and even add minor speed buffs to little side trails to give valid short cuts outside of going full cross country. Buffs should apply no matter if mounted or on foot.​
  • Adjust current landscape/terrain to add more mountain passes, tunnels and animal trails around areas, to provide less terrain bottle necks and allow people to scale more of the landscapes, rather than having to detour around massive mountains that are just giant world walls.​
  • Increase ghost mode speed, or just allow ghosts to teleport from town priests and add a cool down of 10 minutes to avoid people spam teleporting around the place.​

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Aside from reducing the world size(Which I still think needs to happen by at least 15% - 20%), there's other things that could be done. When people rather ghost from town to town, to avoid having to plan a play session to roam or farm somewhere across the map, that's an issue. There's a huge difference between iMmeRsIoN and tedious design. The game does not really respect the players time in a lot of areas. Things shouldn't be instant gratification, but a lot of things should not be as tedious as they are. Anyway, I'll stop ranting lel Here's my list :

• Bring horse shoes to MO2, like in MO1. Where horse shoes give a speed increase, though minor. Expand on it with craftable horse shoes, where differing mats which affect weight, speed and dura. This would also be a minor gold sink, which the game needs more of.​
  • Add speed buffs to all road types to give incentive to travel on roads and even add minor speed buffs to little side trails to give valid short cuts outside of going full cross country. Buffs should apply no matter if mounted or on foot.​
  • Adjust current landscape/terrain to add more mountain passes, tunnels and animal trails around areas, to provide less terrain bottle necks and allow people to scale more of the landscapes, rather than having to detour around massive mountains that are just giant world walls.​
  • Increase ghost mode speed, or just allow ghosts to teleport from town priests and add a cool down of 10 minutes to avoid people spam teleporting around the place.​

Reducing the world size by 15-20% would be 3-4km in every direction. Basically putting Vadda on the east coast and Jungle camp on the southern coast.

That is to small.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Reducing the world size by 15-20% would be 3-4km in every direction. Basically putting Vadda on the east coast and Jungle camp on the southern coast.

That is to small.
Map size is 20x20km
  • 15% = 3km = 17x17km
  • 20% = 4km = 16x16km

3 - 4 km from all sides would amount to 12 - 16 km reduction in total, which would be a 60 - 80% reduction. Which is not what I'm talking about. That is MO1 Myrland scale, which is too small for this, yes.

But 20% would be fine, and now that I'm thinking about things even more, moving upwards of 25-30% would be fine. The amount of players that each node and the server cluster overall can handle, is not enough to support the map size, let alone the content not being enough either. There's barely enough content in the map to support 8x8km. The pipe dream of many 1000s of players on a 20x20km map, filling all corners, is well out of SV's capabilities. Shit, it's even out of the capabilities of most AAA studios.

With the server only being able to handle 1800 - 2000 people roughly, before things go mega poopy, that's an average of like 1 person every 211 meters. With current population levels of around 950 - 1100, that's like 1 person every 392 meters. But with how big the world is and lack of filler in the barren lands, most people sit in and around towns because it's too tedious to do anything else. Wait until a second continent is added, which will probably be the same size or bigger. That 1 person every 211 - 392 meters, will turn to 1 person every 400 - 800+ meters.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Map size is 20x20km
  • 15% = 3km = 17x17km
  • 20% = 4km = 16x16km

3 - 4 km from all sides would amount to 12 - 16 km reduction in total, which would be a 60 - 80% reduction. Which is not what I'm talking about. That is MO1 Myrland scale, which is too small for this, yes.

But 20% would be fine, and now that I'm thinking about things even more, moving upwards of 25-30% would be fine. The amount of players that each node and the server cluster overall can handle, is not enough to support the map size, let alone the content not being enough either. There's barely enough content in the map to support 8x8km. The pipe dream of many 1000s of players on a 20x20km map, filling all corners, is well out of SV's capabilities. Shit, it's even out of the capabilities of most AAA studios.

With the server only being able to handle 1800 - 2000 people roughly, before things go mega poopy, that's an average of like 1 person every 211 meters. With current population levels of around 950 - 1100, that's like 1 person every 392 meters. But with how big the world is and lack of filler in the barren lands, most people sit in and around towns because it's too tedious to do anything else. Wait until a second continent is added, which will probably be the same size or bigger. That 1 person every 211 - 392 meters, will turn to 1 person every 400 - 800+ meters.

+ the hundreds of people that are prol living in haven heh

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
The concerns with fast travel via Moongate spots

1.-The biggest concern is that that valuables can be transported safely !
(That could destroy the trade and the economy. Fewer players would roam around. The RPK players always hope for good loot and the players who transport things have to organize a caravan and make more profit by taking the risk of a transport)

2.- That the players won't roam/travel around as much and that the skipable sections of the map might be empty. (This is particularly annoying for RPK players)

3.- That a guild can mobilize large armies much faster in a siege battle and let them move through a moongate, without having to pass certain choke points, that the defenders can guard

4.- The expedition length would be reduced. Maybe a player would get less lost. It would be easier to memorize the ways.

5. PVE Players want to be sometimes as far away from RPK Players as possible,
to have their peace, or if someone has made himself too many enemies.

I was thinking a solution to some of these concerns that would add an element of teamwork and require that more competent guilds utilize their builds properly. Basically add a purchasable Summoner gate (Or summoner boss drop) that can be placed on the top of strongholds. it would require a spiritualist to expend their mana bar to summon a player and the gates can be placed in each town as one way gates. The gates only would teleport you to a SH gate in the same province.

1) The player spawns in naked with no loot or pets

2) youre naked and have no loot or pets. It reduces travel time for events and sieges and stuff but only works if you actually have a spiritualist manning the warp gate. Its a one way portal so you still need to go back to down to do stuff.

3) Would take some time to put together a large army and funnel all of the fighters to the Stronghold.at a single point of failure. You're better off having a large force in town do a flanking maneuver during siege than having them all shoot arrows at some seige equipment. It adds an element of diversity to siege and strategy for the defender and attacker.

4) Dont know what this bullet means grammatically but yeah you'll probably reduce the expedition length. Which is what we want since most people can only play for a short period every day and it takes too long to move around the map for guild events.

5) The PVE guys will be easier to retain in the game if this is a feature, but still need to go back to town with loot since the portal is one way. A transporter and reciever. So they become vulnerable leaving the SH. Adds another element of blockading to stop people from doing events or accessing a resource. Kind of a cool feature.

Reactions: Anabolic Man

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Map size is 20x20km
  • 15% = 3km = 17x17km
  • 20% = 4km = 16x16km

Myrland in MO1 was 8km x 8km. It would be half of what was suggested.

It isn't about filling every corner of the game world with people, that would be a nightmare. The issue is several fold.

- The game doesnt handle people clustered together in large groups and fighting or really doing anything. (SV is aware of this and is working on it)

- The games AI mobs are unable to support a larger population. When there are more than 1100 people on the server there is a real shortage of mobs to farm or even places to go to farm.

- The playerbase has become lazy due to easy instant gratification games like Fortnight, Tarkov, or Ark. and dont like actually having to travel anywhere to do anything. But rather sit near towns or their safe zones looking for "content".

Its not that it is tedious to go anywhere, it is the current crop of gamers are lazy. If you remember back when Everquest and Asherons Call were new games people would travel for 20minutes to get to a dungeon or a raid. In the old UO people would walk for 15-30min in game just to chop wood.

This isnt because it was exciting but because that was part of the game.

Reactions: Rynnik

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
The game should be bigger and even harder to get across.

You may hate the idea but it’s true.

Fast travel of any kind is horrible for a game like this and eventually with continents hopefully it gets worse not better. Players shouldn’t even consider moving entire areas of the game for a casual dungeon run and head home. It’s not WoW. Rather In the style of EVE online people should live in a territory and engage in local activities in that area. Cross map activities should require planning, logistics, and deployment and should NOT be a casual gameplay activity.

Will players ever understand? No. But it is still the best thing for a game like this.

I largely agree with this. There are two sides here, and the one that the creators of the game intend is for there to be more people living in each area who farm all these different mats, and do commerce with other areas to obtain the good stuff from those places. There is also a large group that thinks fast travel in some form is a good idea, but there are just too many issues with how any fast travel systems could interface with the vision for this specific game.

Lets say you have control of the sator dungeon and the ether portal knowledge that comes with it, but you have no easy way to gather your entire guild to travel an hour and a half north on the off chance that you get in a successful mino king kill. Very low drop chance, very low odds of not being killed on the way to or from the dungeon. You can still trade for it. An appropriate exchange that happens a lot (before recent trade related events): multiverse lore for ether portal lore. This is a common situation. SV doesn't want you to be able to do everything by yourself, or as a single guild.

What they want is for you to get what is in your area and trade it for what is not. I'm guilty of this as well. I want to be able to run sators and then minos in the same night, but that isn't the way the game is intended to work. Working amongst your guild, and your guild working with other guilds is where power comes from in MO2. A large part of why this is true is due to the insane scale of the map, and I doubt that they will ever add any fast travel because it will eliminate a lot of the social trade aspect of the game. This is going to show a lot more when TC comes out.

All this, but there are still very good points made by OP. There are far too many empty spaces still. Whole portions of the map have little but a small bandit camp. Why farm those when there are a bunch around every major city? We need more stuff to explore in these deadzones. REAL reasons to go to all corners of the map. More hard to get materials, interesting tucked away little caves to find game lore in, fun mobs to kill, extremely rare drops from mid-tier mobs that, once found, will attract tons of people. Pretty much every hostile mob in the game outside of dungeons, with a few exceptions, drop the same shenanigans with little variation. I guess what I'm really getting at is that people feel like all of the actual content in the game is in dungeons. There is little to find outside of dungeons, and largely the world feels empty except in some select areas.

This is definitely improving though. I'd personally just like to see more depth to all of these new POIs that are scattered about. They're basically just something pretty to look at while you kill your 15,021st bandit, or 4,304th scoundrel. Could be that they have plans for them, and they'll be more interesting in a few months, but for now I just wonder why they were added.

Reactions: Rynnik

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum

It isn't about filling every corner of the game world with people, that would be a nightmare. The issue is several fold.

- The game doesnt handle people clustered together in large groups and fighting or really doing anything. (SV is aware of this and is working on it)

- The games AI mobs are unable to support a larger population. When there are more than 1100 people on the server there is a real shortage of mobs to farm or even places to go to farm.

- The playerbase has become lazy due to easy instant gratification games like Fortnight, Tarkov, or Ark. and dont like actually having to travel anywhere to do anything. But rather sit near towns or their safe zones looking for "content".

Its not that it is tedious to go anywhere, it is the current crop of gamers are lazy. If you remember back when Everquest and Asherons Call were new games people would travel for 20minutes to get to a dungeon or a raid. In the old UO people would walk for 15-30min in game just to chop wood.

The goal is to spread the population across all corners, hence the city/town placements in MO2 - Aside from the Jungle and central steppe. For a healthy world you want the population split up across key locations across the map and have PvE locations around the main population centers, as well as filling the gaps in-between to further fill the landscape. It's basic level design.

SV has somewhat tried to do this(resource distribution could be better & more actual content is needed), but still has resulted in a barren land due to lack of content, world size being too large for the population the game can support(even at server max capacity) and as you pointed out, the flaws in things like the dynamic spawner system for mobs when population is low, which adds to the issue.

UO had a lot of content and players filled a lot of empty space, MO2 does not. There is nothing immersive or fun walking or riding around a huge empty world with minimal content and player interaction. The distance between towns are 30 - 60+ minutes apart, PvE can take 1 - 2+ hours depending on your goals and if you want to travel back to where you came from, it's another 30 - 60+ minute travel. You're forced to take long ways because 1/3 of the map is impassable mountains, making things longer than they should be. It's not about instant gratification, most people who come to MMO's accept there's going to be grind & time investment involved - What it is about is respecting the players time, which MO2 does not. Big difference in acceptable time sinks and unneeded tedium.

No point for people to leave towns, there's little content and takes a lot of time to go and do it. They've already done what the game has to offer and people don't feel like having to plan out hours of their day to do something simple. There's basic PvE around town for easy farming top ups and there's people to interact with. They don't get that 95% of the time in the rest of the map.

Reactions: Xunila

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The game needs npc civilians of all kinds going about their day and doing things on their own in town and out in the wild. Have npc hunters hunting springboks, farmers tending to crops and caring for cattle, and adventurers exploring the world and fighting hostile npcs and vice versa.

I still remember back in MO1 Seb set up a self-spawning AI and left it running in the SV office overnight. Next morning when he turned up the AI risars had built a sprawling massive armed camp all on their own and the population had grown out of control.

This is definitively something SV needs to bring back. As much as I'm for the players making the content, the AI-driven npc add a much needed side of life to the world that currently feels static and 'still'.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Not wanting to spend time in game basicly doing nothing inst a instant gratification issue. Its wanting you time to respected.

If there was gameplay between minute 0 and minute 30 to 45 that was worthwhile then we might not have a issue here.

Now like you might not have a life or a job but people dont have 8 hours in a day to spend looking at a screen auto walking for them. People got irl to do.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Another Idea would be ether Portals inside the ghost world, that can teleport ghosts to other shrines/waypoints/Moongates placed inside player houses.
Runes could also be possible, if they would cost like 2k gold and could teleport you to specific waypoints, so that players keep them inside their houses and cant teleport back. (maybe with the mentioned restrictions like greyed out HP for 30 min and with restrictions to not be able to move items in the inventory)

Already a feature that would select you between the 2 nearest prists would be awesome, or that show you which prist is the nearest prist.

Reactions: Xunila

Melkhia

Apr 2, 2022
For me,
the less gameplay/balancing invasive solution would be your suggestion about increasing movement/riding speed while onto defined roads.

I was hoping that human clades like "charismatic" or "diplomatic" would have been modified or replaced by things like :

While on defined road, + 7% movement speed or something ok that kind.
(could be for other clades too)

It could have synergize well with the more "crafting" side of the humans, for example and created a more "traveling merchant" archetype option.

For the TC, it could also have been an incentive to transport goods on the road as a faster but more exposed manner, and at the same time, a way to create conflicts/goals about controlling "mercantile" roads.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Bump it is terrible, if we cant teleport from town to town with a gate, to check if your items have been sold. A debuff for 30 min that grey out your healthbar by 50 % would be perfect and improve the game a lot for the traders. There is not even a Menu that tell you if your items have been sold in the other towns.

it would also improve the gameplay for players that do not have much time to play. They could tp to the north before work, if there is an event for some kind of dungeon in the north. SV want us to live in specific regions, but many regions only have 1 or no dungeon. Everything is in the north.

I sold some items in Tindrem, Vadda, Meduli and Fabernum. Took me whole day to check if the items have been sold and i forgot what i have sold and from which towns i already picked up the money from postal servis.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I've said it before so many times in the past, but SV needs to urgently copy EVE Online's stellar UI that allows you keep track of and a record of everything for perpetuity.

From what items you have in every station in the galaxy, to how much damage you took in every PvP or PvE encounter where you died. Who attacked and killed you, right down to what ship and weapon they used to do it.

We can't even do that in MO2, and while our settings are saved in the cloud our customised UI and personal notes are not. It's just so primitive and makes life difficult for everyone for no good reason.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I would be okey with faster ghost travel. Make it twice as fast as now with an empty inventory.

If you have spirit boxes it stays the same as now.