Idea to help new players who are apprehensive of full loot open world games

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Titles - please consider scaling the amount of "XP" you get to achieving PVP titles/perks like Dread Lord based on mechanic that weights the Armor/weapon quality and Combat/Magic skill of the opponent. So if you kill someone who's roughly geared at your level you gain 100% of 1 tick. If you dunk an ungeared/skilled character its like 1% of a tick, etc. If there isn't much to gain this might lessen random pking of new players who won't really stand a chance.

Help Guide - many players create help guides but if SV could really spell out the strategies to playing MO in the tutorial that might help. A lot of the game takes time and consideration to understand how to survive let alone be good at it. The idea here is to retain players by explaining gear management, banking your items, and of course even if you do get killed, you still learn something and gain Skill ranks as you explore, things like that imo.

Soloable dungeons - lots of people will come to the game not knowing any MO players. A variety of dungeons/PVE locations with "weak" mobs might be a plus to give them a starting point. The idea would be that the Server AI could scale the amount of loot that drops based on how many players are attacking/healing one another while fighting that monster. This makes it where groups can't just farm the area too easily, while making loot a bit more worth if the AI detects only one player was active fighting the creature.

• Sad
Reactions: Bicorps

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Titles - please consider scaling the amount of "XP" you get to achieving PVP titles/perks like Dread Lord based on mechanic that weights the Armor/weapon quality and Combat/Magic skill of the opponent. So if you kill someone who's roughly geared at your level you gain 100% of 1 tick. If you dunk an ungeared/skilled character its like 1% of a tick, etc. If there isn't much to gain this might lessen random pking of new players who won't really stand a chance.

Help Guide - many players create help guides but if SV could really spell out the strategies to playing MO in the tutorial that might help. A lot of the game takes time and consideration to understand how to survive let alone be good at it. The idea here is to retain players by explaining gear management, banking your items, and of course even if you do get killed, you still learn something and gain Skill ranks as you explore, things like that imo.

Soloable dungeons - lots of people will come to the game not knowing any MO players. A variety of dungeons/PVE locations with "weak" mobs might be a plus to give them a starting point. The idea would be that the Server AI could scale the amount of loot that drops based on how many players are attacking/healing one another while fighting that monster. This makes it where groups can't just farm the area too easily, while making loot a bit more worth if the AI detects only one player was active fighting the creature.

Titles - no
Help Guide - no, find it yourself, its a hard game u have to figure out all by yourself or you have to ask a lot of question. Social interaction are important in a game like this.
Soloable dungeons - at some point u might be enable to but.... no. Its the main reason why I quitted Albion Online.

Last edited:

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Not practical and would require too much work for something as pointless as titles. Titles should be removed IMO.

Teaching these things should be part of the tutorial. But sadly it´s hard to teach a full loot game with open PvP to someone who is on a starter island with no full loot and no open PvP. Something that people have a hard time wrapping their head around.

There should be content accessible to solo players and a lot of that was already in MO1. I think it comes down to map design and AI design.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
These comments are fair. The titles idea could be implemented for something other than titles, more of a place holder to balance out pvp rewards, Im not really arguing FOR the existance of titles I just figured they'd do it since it was in MO1...

I'd probably maintain that teaching the basics of full loot pvp should be emphasized by SV, however, since its about bringing people in not throwing em to the wolves in that sense. Point would be to be different than games that didn't do it right, I'll just say.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
seriously, who the hell cares about titles? you do understand that most of those titles can be farmed by killing alt accounts right? complete waste of time.

guides there are many. there is a help chat. there are guilds you can join. ffs how much hand holding do you need?

absolutely no! hell no! no! no! no!
this is not a solo oriented game. not to mention that you'd have groups of reds permanently camped outside those dungeons knowing its just one guy coming out full of loot. absolutely moronic idea.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Way off base jack. Restating the problem, defeatism, then using vulgarity. Sigh. Better response is to explain why you think its not a solo game and why thats better.

Last edited:

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
Titles - no
Help Guide - no, find it yourself, its a hard game u have to figure out all by yourself or you have to ask a lot of question. Social interaction are important in a game like this.
Soloable dungeons - at some point u might be enable to but.... no. Its the main reason why I quitted Albion Online.

"Help Guide - no, find it yourself, its a hard game u have to figure out all by yourself or you have to ask a lot of question. Social interaction are important in a game like this."

Yea mortal online to this day has a super healthy population precisely because of this mentality.....oh right no it ded....awkward.

Information should never be hard to obtain. Learning should be as easy as asking. New players wont even know the right questions to ask. Have you ever done anything for the first time ever? I remember what it was like starting in mortal. You could describe it as a grind just to get to the point of learning. Lmao. It took me a full week to even begin researching guilds to join. I didnt leave that damn grave yard for a whole week. In the end all I accomplished there was wasting my time. So yes some sort of help guide with all the basic information you could need being neatly prepared and easily accessible with the click of a button is a fantastic idea.

"Soloable dungeons - at some point u might be enable to but.... no. Its the main reason why I quitted Albion Online."

It's not soloable dungeons that are needed per say. Though areas designed for limited groups is in my opinion healthy. Escape from Tarkov has proved that it isnt loss of things people spent time earning that drives them away from full loot games, it isnt a steep learning curve either. It is lack of activities one can do on their own that are meaningful and fun.

Let me expand on that. Bakti is where I spent the majority of my time in MO. I loved MO. After I joined a guild I loved it a lot more. Why did I quit after 4-5 months of hardcore play? Simple, If my guild wasn't online to do group play then I was shit out of luck. No matter where I went or what I tried to do solo it was either wasted effort or not fun. Why wasn't content I could do fun? Because I could not leave Bakti in any meaningful way and expect to make it back alive. So I was stuck farming undead, hogs, or bandits when solo. That quickly lost its allure but without my guild being online all I could do was hangout in or around town. boring.

Lets add on to that. Group play isnt decided by random people no matter the guild structure. When you join a guild you generally spend your time playing for the guilds benefit. It's efficient to do so. Better off the guild is the better off you are. It's also counter productive to achieving ones own goals. Achieving a dream is what makes most people log in the first time anyways. Be anything and do anything. But this wasnt really true in MO. Achieving the groups goals is what you end up doing.

Now you can argue all guilds are different and you just need to find the right fit. But this is predicated on the fact the right fit is easily identifiable and or accepting you in the first place. Most guilds that have experienced players are extremely picky of who they accept in the first place. In a world where anyone can be a spy or just dead weight as is the case with new players there is no reason to really accept them after you reach a certain count of quality members.

any new guild you find that isnt being picky needs you to work for the groups benefit. any guild that dosent need you for that isnt likely to accept you in the first place. Even if you find a group that helps you achieve goals that you want its meaningless if you log in and they dont have enough players that are willing to help you out in the first place.

MO and almost all "hardcore full loot games" have fallen into this negative feedback loop of new player logs in. Dosent have enough info to feel like progress is even being made, he either grinds on and finds a group or logs off never to be seen again. If they find a group that they like they play for a bit and then lack of meaningful and or fun content they can do solo or in small groups to advance their own enjoyment of the game is lacking so they log off never to be seen again.

What your left with is a player base of dedicated players that are often bored and contribute to the problem by hunting smaller groups of players just out and about trying to find fun. They want to fight but will very rarely take a fight they cant win or arent likely to win and end up making the surrounding areas basically no go zones for anyone that cant match them.

This ends in a slow death of the game for everyone. players need other players but mindsets like the one I quoted assure that eventually the playerbase dies off no matter how dedicated the core players are. No one plays a video game to not have fun. Getting into fights you have zero chance of winning isnt fun. Not being able to progress personal goals isnt fun. Being drowned in endless repetition with a naïve hope of progressing to a level that you can do these things isnt fun and ultimately fatal to the player base.

You can disagree if you want to. Most hardcore players bases have this tight fisted mentality on how the game should be and always seem to be looking for the perfect hardcore mmo. That and the death of all but 1 full loot game is my evidence for why this is the real problem and whats holding back this genre.

I cant play an MMO where I dont experience loss. I cant play an MMO if I cant take from others to progress myself. EFT is the only game that you can see out on the market after decades of different people trying that has achieved a state of mainstream and is a hardcore full loot game. They did this despite it's steep learning curve and high difficulty. They did this without artificially making the game impossible by withholding information from players. They did this by offering difficult but attainable solo player strats that almost anyone can learn and utilize from the get go and see success. Dont be like MO be like EFT.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
There should definitely be a help guide to teach people how to get started in a full loot pvp game. Just saying no to helping people get started isn't in the game's interest and I'd wager SV knows that. If you've played much MO you'd know they don't give out secrets anyway. This would be to avoid losing players to mechanical differences between what most people will be used to (Warcraft or something) differences when the influx comes on Steam. Very simple, no need to blow it up.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
"Help Guide - no, find it yourself, its a hard game u have to figure out all by yourself or you have to ask a lot of question. Social interaction are important in a game like this."

Yea mortal online to this day has a super healthy population precisely because of this mentality.....oh right no it ded....awkward.

Information should never be hard to obtain. Learning should be as easy as asking. New players wont even know the right questions to ask. Have you ever done anything for the first time ever? I remember what it was like starting in mortal. You could describe it as a grind just to get to the point of learning. Lmao. It took me a full week to even begin researching guilds to join. I didnt leave that damn grave yard for a whole week. In the end all I accomplished there was wasting my time. So yes some sort of help guide with all the basic information you could need being neatly prepared and easily accessible with the click of a button is a fantastic idea.

"Soloable dungeons - at some point u might be enable to but.... no. Its the main reason why I quitted Albion Online."

It's not soloable dungeons that are needed per say. Though areas designed for limited groups is in my opinion healthy. Escape from Tarkov has proved that it isnt loss of things people spent time earning that drives them away from full loot games, it isnt a steep learning curve either. It is lack of activities one can do on their own that are meaningful and fun.

Let me expand on that. Bakti is where I spent the majority of my time in MO. I loved MO. After I joined a guild I loved it a lot more. Why did I quit after 4-5 months of hardcore play? Simple, If my guild wasn't online to do group play then I was shit out of luck. No matter where I went or what I tried to do solo it was either wasted effort or not fun. Why wasn't content I could do fun? Because I could not leave Bakti in any meaningful way and expect to make it back alive. So I was stuck farming undead, hogs, or bandits when solo. That quickly lost its allure but without my guild being online all I could do was hangout in or around town. boring.

Lets add on to that. Group play isnt decided by random people no matter the guild structure. When you join a guild you generally spend your time playing for the guilds benefit. It's efficient to do so. Better off the guild is the better off you are. It's also counter productive to achieving ones own goals. Achieving a dream is what makes most people log in the first time anyways. Be anything and do anything. But this wasnt really true in MO. Achieving the groups goals is what you end up doing.

Now you can argue all guilds are different and you just need to find the right fit. But this is predicated on the fact the right fit is easily identifiable and or accepting you in the first place. Most guilds that have experienced players are extremely picky of who they accept in the first place. In a world where anyone can be a spy or just dead weight as is the case with new players there is no reason to really accept them after you reach a certain count of quality members.

any new guild you find that isnt being picky needs you to work for the groups benefit. any guild that dosent need you for that isnt likely to accept you in the first place. Even if you find a group that helps you achieve goals that you want its meaningless if you log in and they dont have enough players that are willing to help you out in the first place.

MO and almost all "hardcore full loot games" have fallen into this negative feedback loop of new player logs in. Dosent have enough info to feel like progress is even being made, he either grinds on and finds a group or logs off never to be seen again. If they find a group that they like they play for a bit and then lack of meaningful and or fun content they can do solo or in small groups to advance their own enjoyment of the game is lacking so they log off never to be seen again.

What your left with is a player base of dedicated players that are often bored and contribute to the problem by hunting smaller groups of players just out and about trying to find fun. They want to fight but will very rarely take a fight they cant win or arent likely to win and end up making the surrounding areas basically no go zones for anyone that cant match them.

This ends in a slow death of the game for everyone. players need other players but mindsets like the one I quoted assure that eventually the playerbase dies off no matter how dedicated the core players are. No one plays a video game to not have fun. Getting into fights you have zero chance of winning isnt fun. Not being able to progress personal goals isnt fun. Being drowned in endless repetition with a naïve hope of progressing to a level that you can do these things isnt fun and ultimately fatal to the player base.

You can disagree if you want to. Most hardcore players bases have this tight fisted mentality on how the game should be and always seem to be looking for the perfect hardcore mmo. That and the death of all but 1 full loot game is my evidence for why this is the real problem and whats holding back this genre.

I cant play an MMO where I dont experience loss. I cant play an MMO if I cant take from others to progress myself. EFT is the only game that you can see out on the market after decades of different people trying that has achieved a state of mainstream and is a hardcore full loot game. They did this despite it's steep learning curve and high difficulty. They did this without artificially making the game impossible by withholding information from players. They did this by offering difficult but attainable solo player strats that almost anyone can learn and utilize from the get go and see success. Dont be like MO be like EFT.

I dont want argue with you mate. I just feel its nice to have a game with small information and people actually have to try to figure out some shit by themself. But its true that could Turn off a lot of player. Even myself sometime when I try a Ultima Kind of game... im pretty lost at the beguining and have to ask 100 question to randoms people to find my way true... but its what I like about it, it does not feel like doing SoloQueue in WoW without saying a single word to your party. I understand your point tho.

The solo dungeon... you could solo some dungeon on MO1 and do lockpicking. You could play solo on MO1 and have fun... I did it a couple month but I was happy to find a guild after that im not gonna lie. But yeah... Its true that most of the Solo player on MO1 left after couple month(or maybe just join a guild). Its the kind of game that is hard to make everyone happy. Personnaly... in MO2 I just want the polesword like in MO1... but it wont happen and im not gonna stay on that and cry, the game have other thing to offer and something might suit me .(just need to find it....)

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
I dont want argue with you mate. I just feel its nice to have a game with small information and people actually have to try to figure out some shit by themself. But its true that could Turn off a lot of player. Even myself sometime when I try a Ultima Kind of game... im pretty lost at the beguining and have to ask 100 question to randoms people to find my way true... but its what I like about it, it does not feel like doing SoloQueue in WoW without saying a single word to your party. I understand your point tho.

The solo dungeon... you could solo some dungeon on MO1 and do lockpicking. You could play solo on MO1 and have fun... I did it a couple month but I was happy to find a guild after that im not gonna lie. But yeah... Its true that most of the Solo player on MO1 left after couple month(or maybe just join a guild). Its the kind of game that is hard to make everyone happy. Personnaly... in MO2 I just want the polesword like in MO1... but it wont happen and im not gonna stay on that and cry, the game have other thing to offer and something might suit me .(just need to find it....)

Nothing wrong with their being unknown info. For example the crafting system lends itself to experimentation. Im not saying give out info that makes the game unique or mysterious. But info like basic ways to start earning coin or the ends and outs of the combat system need to be readily available. What races are most suited to what play style. These things I consider basic and bare minimum knowledge. Preventing players from feeling lost or re rolling a week old character like I had to. That info needs to be easily accessible. In my opinion. So we are of the same mind in terms of a world where people need to learn things themselves. I just think its a clear line between complex and engaging world design and obvious obfuscation that brings unneeded confusion.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Preventing players from feeling lost or re rolling a week old character like I had to.

While I agree that Mortal Online should be more intuitive and explain it´s systems better, this in particular is off.

There were many motivations for rerolling and I don´t really see anything wrong with it. You learn, you grow, you change. Many long time player rerolled their characters for various reasons. Some player like to start over, others don´t. Rerolling even a fairly advanced character wasn´t a big deal.

The problem with the current crusade against rerolling is that the only way to prevent it from happening is to make every choice meaningless. Which is lackluster game design, just so that a few players don´t have to remake their character.

I´m very much in favour of giving new players rough outline of what each clade excels at. Information on the effects of attributes, age and clade gifts would be welcome as well. Make it possible that someone can make an informed decision without having to resort to faulty information from the forums, discord and heathens in general.

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
While I agree that Mortal Online should be more intuitive and explain it´s systems better, this in particular is off.

There were many motivations for rerolling and I don´t really see anything wrong with it. You learn, you grow, you change. Many long time player rerolled their characters for various reasons. Some player like to start over, others don´t. Rerolling even a fairly advanced character wasn´t a big deal.

The problem with the current crusade against rerolling is that the only way to prevent it from happening is to make every choice meaningless. Which is lackluster game design, just so that a few players don´t have to remake their character.

I´m very much in favour of giving new players rough outline of what each clade excels at. Information on the effects of attributes, age and clade gifts would be welcome as well. Make it possible that someone can make an informed decision without having to resort to faulty information from the forums, discord and heathens in general.

Rerolling because you want to change is one thing. Rerolling because you botched the character due to lack of info and understanding is another. No one wants to learn a week into a character that it turns out that the race choice they picked is best for horse archer and the fat mage they were making is now sub par. Because in MO the difference between a min max character and a sub par or inefficient character can be pretty massive. Other than that we agree.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Rerolling because you want to change is one thing. Rerolling because you botched the character due to lack of info and understanding is another. No one wants to learn a week into a character that it turns out that the race choice they picked is best for horse archer and the fat mage they were making is now sub par. Because in MO the difference between a min max character and a sub par or inefficient character can be pretty massive. Other than that we agree.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Just to say, I know people can camp soloable dungeons ( like that little Thursar cave with bad loot XD ) since there are no Zones, and that's exactly what makes MO fun and different. Farming razorbacks outside Tindrem was fun every time precisely due to the fact that I had to look over my shoulder constantly or it would have been a snooze fest. This is the kind of thing the "SV Help Guide" could potentially "sell" as a positive - that sense of adrenaline. (I'm not pushing for a Crafting How To guide, players will post about that stuff anyway...)

Could PK'ers camp soloable dungeons? Yes, please do camp me!! I want that excitement of getting back to town with a pocket full of coin, so much more valuable to have escaped and banked, right?

The thing is WHY camp the little guys when they could be running better dungeons and getting better gear to win actual fights at their level. That's the secret sauce I hope SV can work on with AI tricks that make the game fine tune itself to what's happening in that dungeon. I'd like to see SV pioneer good balance while keeping the same MO1 vision wholly intact. Make a name for themselves by being different and getting it right.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Here's an example - say you are in the Thursar lair and there's 1 mob. Ok, you can fight it yourself with starter gear and get some loot. If its a group of X players, and the AI detects it's being hit by X players or players are healing/buffing the others (aggro chain), the Thursar does a "Whistle" and 1 or more monsters spawn or path over and joins the fray so it functions as soloable content and group content at the same time. Treasure scaled up or down accordingly. Could be as simple as that? (Edit: perhaps some loopholes, as in summoners wouldn't spawn more summoners, and if you accidently pull a summoner and are already fighitng in a radius it dosent' summon so you don't end up with 2 monsters becoming 20 hehe.)

Much respect. @Sebastian Persson

Last edited:

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020

I get miss leading a lot when I started. People saying "Rumors" instead of fact. Being a newb and get train by other newb if u know what I mean. But it added a charm to it... like we tough the relics portals in the sky would be a gate to another world in a future patch hehe...

You have to admet lazyactor got a point and I think you would both agree that could be fix with micro transaction reroll token Race/Skill etc. and there should be a bit more information about Character creation since its the only way you can screw up your character. Another problem is newbs actually dont know what they want to be...So there should be more information about Basic build creation like Hybrid/Foot Fighter/EcuMagicSchool/Crafting etc. But how to deliver that information without giving them an headache the first hour in the game?

When you have a lot of knowledge about the game. You can become a mentor for someone and I found that giving not too much information when they start is better than doing a teach lesson of 1-2 hours streight. Give them some basic knowledge and when they seem to have no more question but still dont know what to do, give them a Quest... go Gather this wood, animals, walkers, flowers ... anything really just to give them an objective and see an improvement and when they see you again I swear to god they gonna have another question for you.

Players are the main content on mortal.. and always been... we just need more people that want act like NPC :p

Reactions: SeaShadow

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Fine tuning how the Broker works and adding options might lead to more player driven quests. The message boards were interesting but seemed not used that much since the forums covered that part... It might be kind of cool if players could place something in game if they really wanted to be a quest master, like a wilderness chest or NPC/monster spawn of their own, idk? Ofc any loot that dropped would have to be supplied by the quest giver. Like if you want to put a Minotaur quest somewhere you'd have to give it a minimum amount of gold or valuables. Monsters would likely not be tamable, etc to prevent exploits. Probably pie in the sky but it could be fun and keep things fresh down the road once the game has been out a while.

Last edited:

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020

Welcome!

Titles: I think what you're looking for here is scaled xp for different challenges of tasks. Just noting that xp gain to grind skills is not the main focus of the game, and people do not kill people generally for "xp gain", they do it for their items. You will naturally be doing harder and harder things as you skill up because that's what you need to do at that level (ie you'll move up the chain of wood chopping as you start making better stuff etc). Don't really see a need for what you're describing.

Help Guide: Despite people here saying people should just learn everything on their own, SV has already, after one day testing Haven, acknowledged they need to add more Tutor NPCs etc to give more guidance. It's a balance, they have openly stated that they want a lot of things to be discovered/learned by doing, but they seem to also agree that Haven should give someone a good working foundation of the main mechanics in the game and how they work.

Soloable Dungeons: I think you're partially describing Haven. MO2 is designed to mimic a fantastical realism whenever possible and choosing to be solo in a dangerous world is inherently more risky. They are also aware of the need to guide people to existing groups of players once they get into the main continent (Myrland), but I would say from everything I've seen that MO2 is not designed primarily as a solo experience. It doesn't mean it can't be played that way, but you're asking for more challenge and may need to naturally scale what you're doing (ie Hunting, focusing on bandits rather than Risar etc). I myself am a person who usually plays alone or with a small group of friends in MMOs, so I get the sentiment, but I think it's important to note that this game has a different focus than WoW for example. The goal isn't to level your guy up to 60, it's to find a meaningful place in a thriving world based on player interaction. Going it alone and doing that will be harder.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Welcome!

Titles: I think what you're looking for here is scaled xp for different challenges of tasks. Just noting that xp gain to grind skills is not the main focus of the game, and people do not kill people generally for "xp gain", they do it for their items. You will naturally be doing harder and harder things as you skill up because that's what you need to do at that level (ie you'll move up the chain of wood chopping as you start making better stuff etc). Don't really see a need for what you're describing.

Help Guide: Despite people here saying people should just learn everything on their own, SV has already, after one day testing Haven, acknowledged they need to add more Tutor NPCs etc to give more guidance. It's a balance, they have openly stated that they want a lot of things to be discovered/learned by doing, but they seem to also agree that Haven should give someone a good working foundation of the main mechanics in the game and how they work.

Soloable Dungeons: I think you're partially describing Haven. MO2 is designed to mimic a fantastical realism whenever possible and choosing to be solo in a dangerous world is inherently more risky. They are also aware of the need to guide people to existing groups of players once they get into the main continent (Myrland), but I would say from everything I've seen that MO2 is not designed primarily as a solo experience. It doesn't mean it can't be played that way, but you're asking for more challenge and may need to naturally scale what you're doing (ie Hunting, focusing on bandits rather than Risar etc). I myself am a person who usually plays alone or with a small group of friends in MMOs, so I get the sentiment, but I think it's important to note that this game has a different focus than WoW for example. The goal isn't to level your guy up to 60, it's to find a meaningful place in a thriving world based on player interaction. Going it alone and doing that will be harder.
Interesting, since this type of things I would hope to seen explained in the Help or Intro guide, even if none of the other stuff is implemented. To promote the play style and explain how it's different than theme park games. Strategies for new players to mitigate losses due to full loot might be a good one, personally I only wear what I can afford to lose. Things like that.

I do often prefer grouping but that's not always possible. Or when there are enough for a group they might not always want to do a dungeon or the one I wanted, so this would open up things a bit to keep people online.