Idea for mage gear

What do you think?

• I don't have an opinion on this matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diocles

Aug 22, 2021
Western Merika
LADIES AND GERMS!

Behold, the ultimate idea for mage gear loss on combat being brought to an equitable level.

The problem
Upon death the following classes lose:
Non-Mage Classes: Expensive armor, weapons, pets etc
Pure mages: cheap armor, cheap reagents

The solution
I know future spell books will entirely drop on death, so no change needed on those. That is good and provides loot. But ecumenical spell books will be bound to you. My idea is that the book would drop its potent offensive spells upon death (in the form of spell scrolls) and revert to a "default spell book" containing only the most basic spells (minor heal, purify, outburst). This would give a pure mage the ability to at least farm or provide basic mage support (similar to the bounce back ability of other classes to jump into cheap sets of bone tissue or molarium).

This would provide a new and very utilized market demand for the high-level ecumenical spell scrolls, scribes etc. Make the spells sufficiently priced to balance kit-price to battle effectiveness to be par with other classes. Make naked mages using potent spells drop a loot that is valuable. Viola, balance!

Solves future issues I see of populated bank earthquake gank fests costing the gankers nothing but the cost of earthquake reagents as well as naked mages risking next to nothing in any given combat situation.

This is all coming from the position of wanting to be a mage. In its current form, it seems way too cheap to play this class for the force multiplying effect it has on the battlefield.

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moored

Gravity

Sep 1, 2021
This sounds great! I really like the idea of spellbooks reverting to default and dropping potent spells on death.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I think they should add armor that gives mage bonuses. Making ECU spell book drop would just make the game more annoying than it already is

Diocles

Aug 22, 2021
Western Merika
I think they should add armor that gives mage bonuses. Making ECU spell book drop would just make the game more annoying than it already is

I don't think the whole book should drop, just your 'added' spells. Its a full loot pvp game that seems to make an exception for only one class. I don't personally think that should be the case. Alternatively, they could make the basic spells like minor heal, purify and spurt not need a spell book at all and then have the EC book drop. That seems to be the simpler solution, actually.

Reactions: Moored

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I think the vision of a mage is they should have a weak start but eventually learn more and get stronger. Your idea takes that away and puts them as another fighter who needs extra steps to re-gear...or on the opposite they could know nothing and come across a dead mage who knew tons of magic and now all of a sudden its yours.

I see what you're saying about a fighter losing their armor and weapon and they can't output the same damage but if a mage just runs up naked they can still do all of their damage if they get some reagents. I think what sets a mage and fighter apart is that a mage will have to spend a lot more time to master the magic than a fighter has to for their weapon. Once a fighter has a weapon and knows how to swing it that's it but a mage has to obtain the scrolls (which can be behind group content, RNG, highly contested, etc.) which sure months down the line it'll seem unfair but the reagents are only cheap for the ecumenical school since that's the basic magic. You have to catch spirits for spirtism and Necromancy had some other reagents that took gathering time.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
What a smooth brain post, Like Melee dont have cheap vendor armor and weapons that they can use to kill Mages, Mages are an unfinished class, and you are complaining they dont drop their Worn ShotSword. it's not even a finished class, they are FULL releasing the game and it's got 2/13 schools out, and they are all support. also Henrik already addressed this, that the Spellbook will not drop it's part of the system. Also there will be Expensive drops from other classes that are more powerful like a dropped staff in the Staff magic school so these changes are already being brought up in that class.

and the current iteration of Spellbooks wont be as they were because spell books already will start out with essentially nothing in them and you have to acquire spells, with little to no spells, and the difficulty and Cost will be high as the advanced Schools are out.

the concept is that when you learn a spell you dont die and just forget it, the problem is that the book is there just as a place holder for that, and is a soul bound item.

the problem with this system is you can have mages drop the most valuable spells in the game and give it to the majority of the population that wont go through the hassle of doing it and you'll just make a compounded problem or open it up to Dupes especially in the first version of a system like this, and trust me this community will find a way to abuse this and if you think DKs were bad in the first game, wait till you see everyone who can kill a mage get their hands on a dropped spellbook that they found and wouldnt otherwise have their hands on a summoning spell like that. The old spell books used to cost a Stack of gold (10000g) for a reason