Hyper-specialization Options

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
For a game that offers intricate builds, I would like to see more nuance. Most races have cut out META builds and look very similar.

I would suggest adding options for becoming an absolute master of different skills, that are very costly. Allowing for players to specialize completely if they really want to. The point is that each player will not have the same layout for similar classes anymore, bc they have to choose if and where they specialize.

All of the additional skills would be PRIMARY.

Some examples I came up with on the spot:
  • Swords (increase min dmg)
    • Sword Prowess(swords do 5% more damage and take 5% less stamina)
      • Sword Savant (swords have 10% increased swing speed and take 10% less durability damage)
  • Blocking
    • Advanced Blocking(increase damage blocked by 10% when not parrying, increase parry window by 20%)
      • Efficient Blocking (lower stam cost of blocking 10%, equipment durability damage -20%)
  • Swimming
    • Resistance Swimming
      • Buoyancy Mastery (decrease cost of spacebar/trying to float by 10%, increase weight capacity while swimming by 20%)
    • Crawling
      • Advanced Crawling (increase swim sprint speed by 10%, lower cost by 10%)
    • Diving
      • Pearl Diving (increase breath capacity by 10%, increase underwater vision clarity by 20%)
  • Weaponcrafting
    • Durability Focus (increased dura of crafted weapons by 20%)
    • Damage Focus (lower dura by 20%, increase damage by 10%)

Whether or not those random ideas are good, I think the point is made. The goal is to open options to specialize and lose out on flexibility in their build. It would add a lot of nuance to what we see players do, and would reward players if they want to be a 'master'.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Definitely need to change the way bows work so that shortbows have their use but are not one of if not the most viable weapon on a mount. Would be kinda interesting if they made it so that you could only use asyms on mounts :eek:

That's one big reason the meta is the same, everyone can take MA and why wouldn't ya? You could still take MA, but there would be classes that would be BAD MAs and they'd have to spec more pts into str.
Are you in the correct thread.. ? I used the term META but have no mention of Mounted Archers or how to balance them.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Mounted archery is one of the larger reasons for lack of variation. To me if 1 = 1 then it also = 1.

So, if you want to talk about fixing the samey meta, you gotta force people to make heavier commitments, same with crafting.

Your post touched on all of these subject (except MA, but I mentioned that because everyone can do MA about the same and that's weird,) but in some ways, I can see why you'd say I'm in the wrong thread because you are talking about subskills. HOWEVER, it raises the question of why not both? They go hand in hand.
My post is not about "fixing" anything, it is about the addition of. So yes, another thread if you want to get into what youre talking about.

Reactions: Najwalaylah