Human Mage: Cleric Problems

Is this a bad take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Human Mage: Cleric
Cleric Human.JPG
So here I am once more asking you to lend me your eyes, to gaze again on Human Mage. Elves get to run faster than footfighters and avoid damage and take up less reagents only needing to take half of what Ogmir and Humans do, then you get Ogmir who can laugh at damage with their clades giving them a good 10s to run to a footfighter to peal for them. I've seen a Ogmir mage survive 6 swings of a mace to the head and their footfighters can tank 10+ hits to the head without blocking with a good mace. So excitedly I rolled human due to me loving their ascetic. I really enjoyed playing my human mage as I was one of the lucky few to get on the game, and I think I was rather ahead of the curve.

Then day one I look at cleric and decide to B-Line for that, playing as a healer in Plate armor? hiding among the foot fighters? sounds wonderful great even. This is perfect for my Life Domain Cleric so I get the clade and throw on some easy bone tissue and full grain leather to see I had above 65% regen with helm on, so doing the math I concluded that with shamanistic and maxed meditation I could reasonably rest between PVP fights and keep healing my Mana pool was already 216 and if I was just casting minor healing my regen was high enough that I decided to power level armor training, I dipped hard into this build.

The same day after a patch, its nerfed. Fine I get it. Having so much regen with 11kilo weight might be excessive I'd even go with 50% regen capped for healing, DPS spells already cost a ton so this just meant I was going to have to be more frugal, but to my horror next time I get on, the regen is now at 30%. After looking it over how it was working is that Cleric showing a plate armored human wielding a mace was no longer calculating my regen impact from 6kilo but at 4, then later 2kilos. then it was changed again so going over this amount by 1 point now snubbed you down as though you were 4.1kilos over weight limit.

It's since been reverted but the calculated scaling is much more of a drop then a curve but the lessened impact of regen on armor is now removed. Before even overweight when you had shamanistic and rested you would get your full 150% mana regen. To get this build to work, you had to invest 300 points in Regen, 300 Points in Armor Training (Heavy) 600 total Action Points but more realistically 500 give or take with the other clades and bonuses to stats you get. This is before counting blocking, weapon skill or even magic so you would need to drop 2 critical skills for mage, good luck picking them.

This was a heavy investment and now this playstyle of plate mage that could only be done by human is now gone. You can fandangle around and mix and match pieces but realistically all human mages that want 100% regen are looking at Kellard or Ranger Armor if you do not want to break a set or a good chest piece mixed in with rugged armor.

Human Mages do not get to survive hits like Ogmir, they do not get to bring half reagents and run faster than foot fighters. We don't even have a real niche outside of playing a paladin and if you do, don't pick up Cleric the regen you get from it is negligible. You are better off getting shamanistic + regens stripping between fights to regen mana. In my opinion Cleric is a bad Clade, at 80% regen (Full Ranger Armor without clade) you are already high enough mana regen without it to keep casting, does that last 20% mana regen really impact a fight? No, I do not believe it does you are either going to die before you run out of mana or the fight is over when you are reaching half mana if you just spam heals and purifies. If you want to be a spell flinging caster then wait for other schools to come out.

So there it is, my honest opinion about Cleric, its a bad Clade, and it buys you no advantage in playing paladin or healer. Shamanistic does not bypass armor weight anymore so get used to stripping between fights. Either it needs to cap regen at 50% min, or give you points in Armor Training and Heavy Armor Training human fighters can at least say they have +4 psy and can tank mages, but you already get that with Human Warcry at 10%.

There is no reason to pick this Clade, change it or remove it.
The Clade has a picture of a guy in Merc Plate heavy armor with a damn 2 handed mace, at least make it more accurate to what it really does.​

Reactions: AssassinOTL
Sep 11, 2021
Yeah, it feels like Cleric needs something more than what it gives. I'd honestly be happy if it just got us to 8 weight total, but your suggestion for having it cap mana regen at 50% regardless of weight is good too.