Housing QA

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
For those that missed it like me, there is a housing QA recently streamed on the Mortal 2 Twitch Channel

It looks like they are combining elements from both of previous housing systems.

I did enjoy the freedom of building houses with the second system. But do understand that system did not lead to a very nice looking world.

So I am glad to see they are using standard houses again like the first system with an item placement system similar to the second system.

It should be a large improvement on the first system, while still maintaining cohesion in the world.

One thing I wonder though, is if we can build multiple houses with a single account? If we can afford to that is.

It was a pain in the first game that we could not easily build multiple houses to sell as an engineer/builder.

With one account only this could become even more of an issue this time around.

Reactions: Kokolo

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I personally enjoyed travelling in the wild in MO1 and seeing the myriad of interesting creations from players, not the least of which Emperor Henrik's royal estate up in the hills south of Tindrem.

I think the custom housing system should make a return, simply because it mimicked Ultima Online's system where players had full control over their house design. It was one of the things that players like myself enjoyed seeing while travelling.

I personally feel that with MO2 they're taking away a number of cool things that existed in MO1. Like the ability to feed cold soup to your horse, holding a torch in the offhand while holding a weapon in the main hand, one-handed spears, and such.

It's like they're moving a bit away from that sandbox purist mindset of 'if you can think it, you can do it' in order to appeal a bit more to the mainstream crowd. Not sure if I'll like MO2's housing plans.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
There is another great video by @Speznat about the housing stream:

Meanwhile I hate Henriks streams because of the endless duration: fours hours for some facts and in-game views which can be reduced to ten minutes.

Anyway, I think the new housing system becomes great. The castle is a really nice new feature for smaller guilds who don't want to get a keep. The new keeps also look great with their ruins and I can imagine the beauty of a completely built keep.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I personally enjoyed travelling in the wild in MO1 and seeing the myriad of interesting creations from players, not the least of which Emperor Henrik's royal estate up in the hills south of Tindrem.

I think the custom housing system should make a return, simply because it mimicked Ultima Online's system where players had full control over their house design. It was one of the things that players like myself enjoyed seeing while travelling.

I personally feel that with MO2 they're taking away a number of cool things that existed in MO1. Like the ability to feed cold soup to your horse, holding a torch in the offhand while holding a weapon in the main hand, one-handed spears, and such.

It's like they're moving a bit away from that sandbox purist mindset of 'if you can think it, you can do it' in order to appeal a bit more to the mainstream crowd. Not sure if I'll like MO2's housing plans.

I do agree that it will take away the opportunity to be creative with the exterior house design. I made a handful of houses with the second system and really did enjoy the freedom it gave me. And I feel I was able to create some unique places.

However, I also seen that many was just using the basic square house. Which was not appealing at all on its own.

The original system on the other hand had housing that fit the scene well. Though every thing else about it was god awful. It was little more than a storage place with limited utility and little to no customization options(You couldn't even put a light in it.). It could also be very confusing with the expansions and what could be built where.

The new system however seems to just add more rooms/space with the different expansions. With all space being usable as a player sees fit. So there will still be room for creativity with the interior space still. From the looks of what was shown in the steam, maybe even more than what we had in the second housing system of MO1.

So, I am still hopeful for the system. And even though I did like creating and seeing others creations in the second housing system, I wont miss the many plain block buildings littering the landscape.

And on a side note, I surely will not be missing all the walls. It sounds like there will be no option for placing walls other than repairing walls at static keep locations. Again this could be seen as taking some sand out of the box. But I do believe it will be for the best in the end.

Reactions: Kokolo

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Players put practicality first instead aesthetics and that led to creating places which looked like vomit in Mo1.I hated all that crap in front of Fab:)

Reactions: Kokolo and Amadman

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I also think this is for the best, as the majority of players are awful at aesthetics. I even dont mind if they bring back the big penis towers but for the love of god do not let people build walls outside the keep radius! That shit was absolute cancer.

Reactions: Amadman and Xunila

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Players put practicality first instead aesthetics and that led to creating places which looked like vomit in Mo1.I hated all that crap in front of Fab:)
The first mistake in the old design was that those ugly "mud walls" existed and were the default.
The second mistake was that if you want a max size house you need a 3x3x3 cube. There was no space for creativity there.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
The second mistake was that if you want a max size house you need a 3x3x3 cube. There was no space for creativity there.
I just realized what majestic housing we could have had with like 30 blocks in a 10x10x10 cube. (And with stair blocks that can be stacked on top of each other)

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Will there be free placement for houses? Or preset locations?

Free placement, but probably you need enough space to rocks or trees and also a flat area. I hope SV will allow to place houses on areas with minimum required space. In MO1 one always needed a space of 3x3 blocks even if one wanted to build a simple 1x2 house.

Reactions: Rorry and Amadman

Sneeze

Mar 24, 2021
i personally am less worried about the appearance of houses. and more about free placement problems (we saw many in mo1 where you could place ridiculous houses) and the whole idea of players owned guards

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
i personally am less worried about the appearance of houses. and more about free placement problems (we saw many in mo1 where you could place ridiculous houses) and the whole idea of players owned guards

From the QA it sounds like this is also their primary concern with free placement housing so here's hoping!