Horse Archery

Yerlan

Dec 23, 2020
I would like to suggest the implementation of the Parthian shot into the horse archery mechanics of the game.

This is such an important skill for horse archers and I was wondering why it wasn't implemented in the previous game.

For those who don't know what I mean:

"A military maneuver where archers on horseback turned their bodies back in full gallop to shoot at the pursuing enemy. "

keep in mind that the skill is limited, you shouldn't be able to turn your body the same way both right and left. generally, (if you are right handed) you will be able to turn more or less 180° to the left side of your body, while the right side will be much less, making it somewhat vulnerable.

There can also be ways to balance the skill, making it harder to obtain by requiring a lot of training or skill points.

Such skill is fundamental in horse archery tactics.

please, feel free to give your opinion and open a discussion on "how" and "if" this should be implemented in the game.

Thank you all for your time in advance. :)

chp09i5u58f31.jpg20160213_PS5.jpg134391745_orig.jpg

Reactions: ChonoKhan

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
if you have a limited time to look backwards, and not all the time, and if you get dismounted, if you are riding against a tree in full speed, this idea would be interesting. It would be a huge Buff to the Mounted Archer, and the build need then to be nerfed in another way. If this possebility get added, it need to be a primary skill, or it need some other balance ideas.

Reactions: Mundzük Zhao

Mundzük Zhao

Feb 6, 2021
I agree! it should be limited, and also a hard skill to master (like in real life). Being a primary skill will also make it important to decide whether to have it or not. making it a skill for specialized mounted archers.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I don't think a limitation is necessary. The fact you can't see what's in front of you while you're turned 180 degrees firing backward is enough. I do agree with the idea of a primary though. You might make it so at 0 in the primary, you are limited to turning 135 degrees left or right while if you have 100 points you can turn 180 degrees or even slightly beyond left or right.

Even maximized in the skill through your degree of motion shouldn't go much beyond directly backwards either left or right. For instance if your target is behind you and you turn to the right until you are facing backwards, and they swing to the left, you'd need to either change the direction of your horse so they're within your firing arc again or rotate to face forward then turn toward them from the left.

The balance of this type of gameplay is how insanely good of a player you would need to be to master your movement while also landing shots consistently. They've also mentioned MAs may either get a penalty to or no access to longbows and horses present a large target in foot archer vs. MA battles. It's hard enough to be an accurate archer on foot in MO2. I think anyone who can make proper use of pathian tactics kind of deserves the power that lends. On paper the MA is kind of superior to the foot archer in every way if you do it that way sure. But I think in terms of actual gameplay people who don't drill insanely hard on being a great MA will find foot archers much easier to play.

Last edited: