help chat

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
SV wants to ban players who use help chat to do anything other than ask questions.

normal developers would create a FAQ section, provide tutorials, make the game more intuitive.

normal developers would create a general chat that is separate from help chat.

SV just bans people, and then they wonder why their game dies.

they will probably delete this post for stating the obvious too.

• Sad
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Getting banned from helpchat for going off topic is not getting banned off the game two very different things. And i havent seen anñyone banned from the game for exploiting help chat.
The only ones that would complain about this is derailers and the people that miss-use that channel should get banned and never allowed back.

You can allways reroll to use HC again, many people does it guess.

Theres no "normality", and theres certainly no global chat and helpchat is not intended for chit chat. Communication in this game is ment to be diegetic, not a WOW chat.

Helpchat is just a bad exception to the rule, and shouldn't even exist. And yes tutoriales and guides should replace it.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
You're not going to get SV to supply you with a General Chat.

You're not going to get Help Chat turned into a General Chat more than it already is.

And, you're not going to convince anyone that being removed from Help Chat is equivalent to being banned from the game. Not even if your preferred mode of play is to troll, spam, or otherwise misuse Help Chat. @Albanjo Dravae is right.
SV wants to ban players who use help chat to do anything other than ask questions.

normal developers would create a FAQ section, provide tutorials, make the game more intuitive.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Tbh, what the hell is the diference between having Discord as general chat or ingame Help chat? This insistance on not having it just makes players use what they got in place of general chat and even if they ban everyone talking in it, the players will still use it as general chat due to boredom alone.

Not having gneral chat adds absolutely nothign to the game except tedium.

Reactions: grendel and Jatix

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Tbh, what the hell is the diference between having Discord as general chat or ingame Help chat? This insistance on not having it just makes players use what they got in place of general chat and even if they ban everyone talking in it, the players will still use it as general chat due to boredom alone.

Not having gneral chat adds absolutely nothign to the game except tedium.

I disagree, using a 3rd party communication software Is optional. The game Is ment to create a diegetic environment for communication with certain exceptions to the rule.
Helpchat Is missused as a global chat and it shouldn't exist, people should communicate in the place they are ingame with chat and voip while players can allways opt for using another communication methods.
Then whisper which Is another exception to the rule that has a more pragmatic approach on It's use, not against it.

Competitive and mainstream communication player structures for mmorpgs will allways require more and better communication tools ingame, lubricated beyond the spacial or environmental immesirvess diegetic design.

The communication concept of mortal Is not casual or under-developed (it Is) but serves It's purpose, a dialogue framework set to develop in certain circunstances.
Minimalist as it is, when explored It's rewarding by the player's experiences.
Thats the design, it comes with the package not saying it shouldn't be refined and reinforced but It's a fantastic place to start until helpchat Is removed.

If the game bores you then start asking yourself whats making it boring.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
If the game bores you then start asking yourself whats making it boring.
It might be the sheer time spent trotting around an empty landscape. When you'r inbetween points of interest there's not really much happening ingame.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Without veterans in help chat, new players will be completely lost. No manual or guides will prevent this, MO is simply too complicated.
I know there will never be a general chat and I completely acknowledge that this is only a loss for those of us who rarely log on discord. We do need more "comunication tools", message boards in taverns, notes/letters, games to draw people into the taverns, player made books on libraries, text macros to make some prewritten rp dialogue viable.... and of course better player render distance, so it not just attack randomly or run away randomly.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Help chat is AIDS. Don't forget, HELP CHAT and HAVEN both begin with H and both are very aidsy anti-mo things.

TZone suggested a short timeframe then you lose access unless you have perms, like... the way it used to be. What was it 10 hours? The first thing I do is turn off help chat, yea you know what's going on in the world (wack!) but the amount of spam. I mean I wanna read my dmg's and other such things. I have convos... whispering convos... while I play :eek: Don't need that flood of nubbery and nubs giving nubs answers.

That's the worst part about help chat, just bad info. Doods thing I am misinformed... must have not seen help chat.

Edit: loved the message boards in MO1!

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

SV didnt want a help chat. For those of us old enough to remember the launch of MO1, there was no help chat, no tutorial, no starter areas, no graveyards with easy mobs, no starter swords that didnt drop, no nudity filter, and no bags.

SV made concessions to help the game when they went to Steam. Help chat was one of them, it used to have a 24hr after leaving haven timer. At the end of those 24hrs of game time help chat was turned off for you unless you requested longer. It was HEAVILY moderated and any discussion that was not help related would quickly get your help chat disabled.

If SV had it there way there wouldnt be third party tools for character creation, weapon crafting, maps, armor crafting, or mob and pet hit points.

So in short, HTFU.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
hmmm.. the meta aspect of help chat is annoying(I partake often I freely admit)and should be regulated. But without helpchat advice, so many new ones will leave. A helpchat only for new players and for volunteer vets, that is needed imo. So many new ones will leave without it.

Help Chat needs to be there because no one plays the game any more. People just abuse society. How? "looks up map" "looks up exact recipe" "look up exact build that is going to be same as everyone else because min max" The new players if they wanted to ask something they couldn't since everyone is looking it up, and going to websites not supported by SV, and are probably set up by the players who choose to abuse society to collect all the data so they can make it more unfair then it already will be, IE bots cheating, Staring at the map, etc etc. So I hope help chat goes away too, I paid to play a game, not look at the filith of society bitch complain and then be a pedophile talking about how they "clap cheeks" for the small chance that I could help someone want to play. As I always say, I don't care that you kill people I don't care that you greif people. But instead of making it unbearable and the same thing over and over while you scream nothing original into the microphone while you play Call of duty in a immersion game. How about you make it fun for the people that just spent 8 hours getting you materials that you're about to take from them. Is it too hard for you to make the game fun for anyone than yourself? Thanks for abusing society :p

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
So does "Henrik". Coincidence, or propinquity?

Damn if I knew that when I made my post I could have done my triple H joke :/

Banning players for speaking offtopic in help chat is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered in 20 yrs plus of playing these games.

You can whisper people, sure, and there are out of game coms, but I have no issue of people trolling in help chat, I just have an issue w/ people sharing information they shouldn't know on a world scale. Doesn't matter ATM but it could matter. It would be nice for a more intelligent solution like the Tavern thing Tzone suggested. There is def suspension of disbelief for stuff like that, but help chat is just... well I am on forums, I am reading the comment section in the most ridic news article... but help chat and other world chats in games are just meeehh. They really take away from my game play exp, but yea if you have a problem you can ask and someone is there to help, that's good.

Repeat after me (in diff voices to signify the many people) : soph food? why? Just eat black creft ;)

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
I would vote for no chats ingame. To much shit talk. I like to help new peoples out and answer some questions while iam traveling or whatever.
but 99% of helpchat is just shittalk / flaming / beeing toxic.
most times I just disable it 🙈
Sometimes I kill someone and he’s warning the whole server via helpchat, intended? Quess no.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah well my new player experience of M01 was to arrive in the game everything was black or red and I didnt see a single other player or a chat message and had no idea what to do.

After 30 mins of pointlessly running around I gave up and never played it again.

So a help chat is essential as is a general chat for veterans and other more advanced players. This 'vision' bullshit needs to get real.
Banning players for speaking offtopic in help chat is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered in 20 yrs plus of playing these games.

No offense but.... if you didnt have the patience or the ability to figure things out like the several thousand people prior to you did.... well you were on the low end of that bell curve and didnt make the cut.

Call me an elitist or a try hard, but help chat should only be for Haven, after that its 12 hours then close done. Only Community managers and moderators should be in there to provide... uh... HELP.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
No point responding to an Ostrich.
tumblr_inline_nrcvcpsqOn1qgafrq_1280.jpg

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
They should make general chat available, but optional whoever wants it has the option to use it, the tryhards that don't can stay isolated.
At it's core it's exactly the same deal as the mortaldata map and char builder. No matter how SV wants us to be hamstringed in progress the players will just build what they want on their own. The only thing SV achieves with this is forcing people to tab out of the game. And most aren't coming back, like 90% of them.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
They should make general chat available, but optional whoever wants it has the option to use it, the tryhards that don't can stay isolated.
At it's core it's exactly the same deal as the mortaldata map and char builder. No matter how SV wants us to be hamstringed in progress the players will just build what they want on their own. The only thing SV achieves with this is forcing people to tab out of the game. And most aren't coming back, like 90% of them.

This game does not need a general chat so sweaty palms can hammer fist away on chat about how xxxxx is bad or how good they are or how alpha male they are. Leave General chat for theme park mmos like that failed one Lost World.