Heavy Armor Weight

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
I crafted a set of Mercenary Plate with Messing, and the total weight is about 31. My heavy armor training is at 78 currently which allows 24.5 Kg. Every skill point in HA increases that weight by a very small amount (.1 or so). Seems like even at 100 HA I wouldn't be able to wear the whole set.

So, am I supposed to be able to wear a full set of this armor, or is it just too heavy?

It looks like Steel is a similar weight, maybe a little less. My goal is be able to wear Steel.... am I on the right track just to train HA to 100, or is there something else I should be considering here with armor weight?

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I crafted a set of Mercenary Plate with Messing, and the total weight is about 31. My heavy armor training is at 78 currently which allows 24.5 Kg. Every skill point in HA increases that weight by a very small amount (.1 or so). Seems like even at 100 HA I wouldn't be able to wear the whole set.

So, am I supposed to be able to wear a full set of this armor, or is it just too heavy?

It looks like Steel is a similar weight, maybe a little less. My goal is be able to wear Steel.... am I on the right track just to train HA to 100, or is there something else I should be considering here with armor weight?

You are making armor out of brass... thick heavy brass.... do you know how heavy that is?

Brass is a lot heavier than steel. This is why people didnt walk around in brass armor.

Reactions: Cazik

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
You are making armor out of brass... thick heavy brass.... do you know how heavy that is?

Brass is a lot heavier than steel. This is why people didnt walk around in brass armor.
Right.. yeah that makes sense.

What is Messing really for then if it's not viable to wear as a full set? I thought it was a mid-tier armor type I could use before steel, but I guess not.

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022

Looks like a full set of Steel is around 26 Kg, just over. Seems like I'd still be over weight with that, at least at the current rate my HA skill is increasing.

Is there something I'm missing with how to wear a heavy armor?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Right.. yeah that makes sense.

What is Messing really for then if it's not viable to wear as a full set? I thought it was a mid-tier armor type I could use before steel, but I guess not.
Messing used to be good for heavy maces used by mounted fighters back when you had unlimited stamina on horseback.
They hit like a truck.

However not sure how they work now with the new mounted mechanics.
I guess you could use them as demolishing hammers on houses.

Mid tier armour is steel.
Tungsteel and Cronite is high tier, and
Oghmium is God tier.

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
Messing used to be good for heavy maces used by mounted fighters back when you had unlimited stamina on horseback.
They hit like a truck.

However not sure how they work now with the new mounted mechanics.
I guess you could use them as demolishing hammers on houses.

Mid tier armour is steel.
Tungsteel and Cronite is high tier, and
Oghmium is God tier.
Okay, cool. Good to know.

I'm a Thursar with 121 STR and 117 CON. Should I be able to wear a full set of Steel assuming my HA skill is at 100?

Also, I'm still working on crafting, so I can't craft Steel yet. In the meantime, what's the best low-mid tier armor to use aside form Molarium? Look like Reptile Carapace is pretty solid.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Looks like a full set of Steel is around 26 Kg, just over. Seems like I'd still be over weight with that, at least at the current rate my HA skill is increasing.

Is there something I'm missing with how to wear a heavy armor?

So two problems.... One not everyone can wear heavy armor... Alvarins typically cant wear full steel without an amulete for free armor weight. The other thing is you can reduce the thickness of the steel on either the arms or legs to shave weight so you can wear it... or wear a lighter material on your arms and legs.

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Also letting you know, the race that can wear heaviest armor is Oghmir since they have clade that increases armor carry weight up to by +6kg if they take them both so they are able to wear the heaviest armors unlike other races.

Other then that, there are trinkets, specifically amulets that have a statistit called "Free armor weight" which adds to your armor carry capacity as long as you have them equiped and charged. These allow races that are not oghmir to wear the heavier armors like tungsteel, messing or even oghmium.
But the good ones are also pretty rare and very pricey so not something for someone new.

If you haven't invested too much into your character yet and want to be heaviest armor tank in the future, I suggest to delete your character and reroll into an oghmir since they are the meta character for the heaviest armors. BUT to use good armors like steel, you don't need to be oghmir ofc, the extremely heavy armors are very expensive and fairtly rare to see so don't reroll into an oghmir just because of that if you're having fun on thursar.

Reactions: Hodo and Cazik

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
So two problems.... One not everyone can wear heavy armor... Alvarins typically cant wear full steel without an amulete for free armor weight. The other thing is you can reduce the thickness of the steel on either the arms or legs to shave weight so you can wear it... or wear a lighter material on your arms and legs.
Okay, gotcha. Great points there. Thanks for the advice.

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
Also letting you know, the race that can wear heaviest armor is Oghmir since they have clade that increases armor carry weight up to by +6kg if they take them both so they are able to wear the heaviest armors unlike other races.

Other then that, there are trinkets, specifically amulets that have a statistit called "Free armor weight" which adds to your armor carry capacity as long as you have them equiped and charged. These allow races that are not oghmir to wear the heavier armors like tungsteel, messing or even oghmium.
But the good ones are also pretty rare and very pricey so not something for someone new.

If you haven't invested too much into your character yet and want to be heaviest armor tank in the future, I suggest to delete your character and reroll into an oghmir since they are the meta character for the heaviest armors. BUT to use good armors like steel, you don't need to be oghmir ofc, the extremely heavy armors are very expensive and fairtly rare to see so don't reroll into an oghmir just because of that if you're having fun on thursar.
I'm going more for a balance of offence and defense, not really trying to wear the heaviest armor or be super tanky.

My goal is to be able to wear a solid set of Steel as a Thursar. But it looks like Reptile Carapace is a good option as well, and a lot lighter.

At the same time, I am learning about armor crafting and Metallurgy, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around the most efficient path to be a good crafter and keep myself geared.

I appreciate the info.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I'm going more for a balance of offence and defense, not really trying to wear the heaviest armor or be super tanky.

My goal is to be able to wear a solid set of Steel as a Thursar. But it looks like Reptile Carapace is a good option as well, and a lot lighter.

At the same time, I am learning about armor crafting and Metallurgy, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around the most efficient path to be a good crafter and keep myself geared.

I appreciate the info.
To wear full steel armour you have to get both, Armour Training and Heavy armour training to 100. You should have no problem wearing a full set of steel armour with those 2 primaries especially on a Thursar.

Tungsteel and cronite are lighter than steel but they are very expensive.

Steel is considered good pvp gear.

If you cant afford steel, your next best bet is plate scales or pansar carapace. Those are the best animal materials for armour, especially Pansar.

If you want to see the difference in stats i highly suggest using the Mortaldata.com/workbench . Many great tools on that website.

Last edited:

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
To wear full steel armour you have to get both, Armour Training and Heavy armour training to 100. You should have no problem wearing a full set of steel armour with those 2 primaries especially on a Thursar.

Tungsteel and cronite are lighter than steel but they are very expensive.

Steel is considered good pvp gear.

If you cant afford steel. You next best best is pansar carapace or plate scales. Those are the best animal materials for armour, especially Pansar.

If you want to see the difference in stats i highly suggest using the Mortaldata.com\workbench . Many great tools on that website.
Sounds good. Yeah, right now I have Armor Training at 100 and Heavy Armor Training at 78. My max armor weight is 24.44 Kg.

Based on the Mortal Data Work Bench, a full set of Steel would be around 27.xx Kg. It seems like the extra 22 points in HA to get me to 100 wouldn't allow that much weight, but I could be wrong.

That's with 100% materials used to craft it, though. As suggested above, is it normal to go lower % materials (i.e., less weight) on certain pieces?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Sounds good. Yeah, right now I have Armor Training at 100 and Heavy Armor Training at 78. My max armor weight is 24.44 Kg.

Based on the Mortal Data Work Bench, a full set of Steel would be around 27.xx Kg. It seems like the extra 22 points in HA to get me to 100 wouldn't allow that much weight, but I could be wrong.

That's with 100% materials used to craft it, though. As suggested above, is it normal to go lower % materials (i.e., less weight) on certain pieces?
Yes, you can tailor your steel armour to stay under your max weight by either using a lighter padding, or a lower percentage. Usually when you ask an armor crafter to craft you a set, you tell him your max weight and he will make sure to stay under it.
The % is pretty much only for durability anyways.