Healing horses while mounted

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Doesnt matter to the foot fighter if they can or can not heal while mounted. It really factors into mounted v mounted combat.

It wouldnt even really slow them down and buy the footy more time if you have to get off your horse. They will do as they already do and ride off and heal. The only difference is you force them to not be lazy and get off to heal. Now they get off the horse heal twice as fast. If they were running from mounted players then they would be able to heal up the damage they receive and would be more prone to death only to other mounted. Staying on your horse while healing is only incase you get attacked by mounted. And if you are fleeing from a foot force while healing then you only open your self up to giving easy free damage to archers as you run in a line for 1.5 bow shots. You usually start healing right as you break line of sight or are far enough away to run diagonally away from them so its hard to hit you as you are move across their screen as a small target.

Trying to make times inbetween mounted attacks long for balance is similar to aircraft in battlefield games. Air vehicles in those games are hard to balance against ground infantry so they usually pseudo balance it by making it take long to get back on the battlerfield, there for making infantry experience it less. If you experience the OP ness less then you are less likely to stop playing and will be able to play the game now your self. This is not balance this is dodging. This game needs real counters and removing healing does not help infantry counter mounted.

Some speculation is that this would help the foot fighters have more time in between mounted attacks is incorrect. All it does is makes sure that mounted getting chased by mounted in 1vx scenario cant heal their own horses. But the side with multiple people fighting can just heal each others horses. So its strengthens larger numbers against smaller numbers in a mounted v mounted scenario.

Healing others from horse back should be a thing but if it is then not allowing you to heal your own self to not correct from your mistakes but allow the larger group the ability to undo their own mistakes would be a issue. It would make mounted v mounted even more zerg focused and less favorable to the smaller mounted force attempting to disrupt the mounted zerg so their footies can act.

SV needs to focus on actual counters to things so this becomes skill based game that attracts outside players that are more PvP focused then people who just only care about winning/politics. Rock Paper scissors is not enjoyable.

If healing from horse back happens or not happens in the future not really a big deal will just cause some bad quality of life for Mounted. I would ask that passive regen be given to all pets in general. just 1 per tick doesnt affect battle too much but allows people to have a better QoL experience being mounted with out magic. Being forced to get off all the time would just be annoying not beneficial to balance.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021
Did I miss something? Was it stated somewhere that mages won't be able to cast heal on their horses while mounted? (Genuine question, not sarcasm.)

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The new system is completely built on being able to heal your horse while mounted. With the low stam, slow speed, and small hp pools, there isn't the same ability to pull away from a fight temporarily that there was in MO1.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Did I miss something? Was it stated somewhere that mages won't be able to cast heal on their horses while mounted? (Genuine question, not sarcasm.)
Henrik mention that they might not beable to heal from mount in the not to distant future. So it is the current plan. Also some people are calling for it thinking it will be a solution for mounted online.

Reactions: night_vision_elf
Jan 23, 2021
Henrik mention that they might not beable to heal from mount in the not to distant future. So it is the current plan. Also some people are calling for it thinking it will be a solution for mounted online.
That makes no sense. Are they going to make it so a mounted player cannot hit their own horse, with either bow or melee weapon? Are they going to remove the ability to damage other player mounts while mounted, regardless of the damage type? What about removing stam regeneration of the horse while you are riding? Or feeding?

Is it tougher to take down a horse when the rider can heal while riding? Potentially, yes. The caster also has to ride in s straight line while casting, and thus becoming easier to hit. To have a chance to overcome incoming damage requires that enough skill points ne committed to being a caster as well, thus forcing trade-offs to the character build.

Bottom line - this is would be a silly change to accommodate a few situations. Most of the time, a rider is able to get away from an attacker because they did a better job managing stam, had a better horse, or had more skills, then their attacker. Healing a mount while on the run is a contributing factor to a successful escape, but its certainly not over-powered.

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
That makes no sense. Are they going to make it so a mounted player cannot hit their own horse, with either bow or melee weapon? Are they going to remove the ability to damage mounts while mounted, regardless of the damage type? What about removing stam regeneration of the horse while you are riding? Or feeding?
You can shoot your own horse, but can not hit it with a melee weapon.

I just think its not going to have a effect on the mounted v foot game and it is the wrong direction to balance mounted vs foot.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
It creates a few issues when you can heal your own mount while riding. Strongly encourages wheelchair builds and if you need to dismount to use veterinary skill it will be all but worthless. Right now I think mounted vs foot is almost balanced MA needs a wobble at higher speeds and hills need to slow or stop mounts so foots have more ways to escape.

Horse healing could be better balanced by giving dex a small affect on horse speed and agility.

Sep 11, 2021

Ok, I must've missed that. To me personally, it doesn't make any logical sense to prevent mages from casting heal on their own horse while riding. A mage can cast any other spell while mounted, so how does it make any sense to prevent mages from casting heal on their own horse? It seems like a patchwork fix that isn't logically consistent, in my opinion.

Tzone, I agree with your initial post that there need to be more counters to mounted players instead of patchwork buffs and nerfs to things that already exist. As it stands, weapons with high blunt damage seem like the only way to dismount a player - and it seems to be somewhat unreliable if I'm not mistaken. Maybe add more ways to dismount? An example right off the top of my head would be a throwable javelin with heavy blunt damage, designed specifically for dismounting a player... or a spell with a delay like fulmination, to allow counter play. Hell, maybe even something that requires more planning like hanging a wire between two trees and then luring a mounted player into hitting the wire while riding. I'm not sure what the exact solution would be to nerf mounted players, but I don't like the idea of preventing heals while mounted because it doesn't make any logical sense.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It creates a few issues when you can heal your own mount while riding. Strongly encourages wheelchair builds and if you need to dismount to use veterinary skill it will be all but worthless. Right now I think mounted vs foot is almost balanced MA needs a wobble at higher speeds and hills need to slow or stop mounts so foots have more ways to escape.

Horse healing could be better balanced by giving dex a small affect on horse speed and agility.
I dont think it should wobble but speed probably can affect the up and down distance its bounces. The again Foot archery isnt that viable because the wobble also the stamina cost. The the mounted players have less damage then foot archer and they have longer time to kill other players then most playstyles. Which is ok that they take longer the kill other players since they have very little risk.

I really dont under stand the part about hills need to slow down mounts but not foot players and as a person who has almost 300 hours in MA now I would almost never chase a Footy up a hill. Hills are a death trap because you cant run away, you have to 1 speed down to avoid damage. Very rare circumstances would I go up a hill because you cant come down quickly and you will end up close to the foot player with little room to maneuver.

I have a high dex MA with 91 for the ability to also be a foot fighter. Im fine with dex being more required for mounted.

On idea I heard and like is where you have a base line needed dex of lets say 70. If you have less then 70 you get a huge penalty when you dismount to recover from it. And when you have more then 70 dex you get a very small decrease to your recovery time from being dismounted. Also They could make Subsisting under the endurance primary affect you recovering from being dismounted as well.

Once EQ dismounts come it will push out wheel chair mounted.

I good counter that would be possibly expensive with dev time but help greatly would be Caltrops. Historically they were used.

The late Roman writer Vegetius, referring in his work De re militari to scythed chariots, wrote:[11]

The armed chariots used in war by Antiochus and Mithridates at first terrified the Romans, but they afterwards made a jest of them. As a chariot of this sort does not always meet with plain and level ground, the least obstruction stops it. And if one of the horses be either killed or wounded, it falls into the enemy's hands. The Roman soldiers rendered them useless chiefly by the following contrivance: at the instant the engagement began, they strewed the field of battle with caltrops, and the horses that drew the chariots, running full speed on them, were infallibly destroyed. A caltrop is a device composed of four spikes or points arranged so that in whatever manner it is thrown on the ground, it rests on three and presents the fourth upright.
The Why I would have them implemented would be craftable weight of 2-3kg per use. A ranged weapon that does minor damage to players, slightly more to pets and then a lot to mounted. The player will throw it at the ground and a long term AoE effect will occur. The visual effect should be something like many and numerous glints on the ground see able at all times of day.

They have a similar effect in mind at lava falls. For performance reasons these caltrop will dissapear in minutes. They should not kill the horse but harm it. You can also have them do damage based off of the movement speed of what ever is in the caltrops. So if you walk you take little damage.

This could be a soft counter to mounted that you can take with you anywhere and both sides of the fight will have ability to fight around the caltops.

Last edited:

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
I really dont under stand the part about hills need to slow down mounts
This was the number 1 balance machinic in MO1 and I'm sure it's coming here. But you do make a good point mounted fall damage is to severe and has an unintended balance effect.

Once EQ dismounts come it will push out wheel chair mounted.
I'm also guessing you did not play MO1 you can soon look forward to fat mounted mages earth quaking you off your mount while their buddy's kill your horse. That is it's main function. Think about it a fat no dex mage on a trash horse with almost no gear investment blasted his high gear and boom your on foot trying to remount before they kill that horse. I would take wheelchair builds just for the magic reflect.

Yet one more reason to have dex affect riding.

Reactions: Woody

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I'm also guessing you did not play MO1 you can soon look forward to fat mounted mages earth quaking you off your mount while their buddy's kill your horse. That is it's main function. Think about it a fat no dex mage on a trash horse with almost no gear investment blasted his high gear and boom your on foot trying to remount before they kill that horse. I would take wheelchair builds just for the magic reflect.

Yet one more reason to have dex affect riding.
I know this will happen, should have to spend points in possibly controlled riding plus another new concentration skill to beable to use as it is now on horse back. Of course they should still beable to able to cast but at double the current time that you do now from horse. MM from horse back is very power full but EQs are short very short range single use pretty much.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I'm using a MC/Mage build for solo mounted roaming.
If they remove healing of the own mount that build is pretty much dead.
I'm most of the times outnumbered and can't disangage(dismount) to heal, while my foes can, and return fully healed.

Reactions: Rorry

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I'm using a MC/Mage build for solo mounted roaming.
If they remove healing of the own mount that build is pretty much dead.
I'm most of the times outnumbered and can't disangage(dismount) to heal, while my foes can, and return fully healed.
To clarify you mean against other mounted?

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
People are trying to make a solution looking for a problem... you want to stop people from healing their mounts while riding it? Hit them with an arrow. The only people that see mount healing as an issue are people who aren't skilled enough to land hits consistently.

Mindtwisted

Sep 28, 2021
Currently mounted mages feel too strong in dogfights as its the only way to heal horses. Once veterinary kicks in we will all be able to do it and it will feel allot less OP then it is now.

One fatmage on a horse can carry fights and with the future weight actually effecting horses that also wont be a thing anymore unless they want to be slower overall when on a mount.

One thing they might want to do though is make it a point investment to heal them by making it special thing in the magic tree to heal pets. This would make them consider their options more like every other class has to once veterinary comes out. You cant have it all is basically what it all boils down to in this game and if mages are to be super good at healing pets they should have a downfall in another direction by gimping them in the different amounts of magic they can cast or the damage they can put out with those spells. Mages just seem to be to safe to play currently.

Last edited: