Haven Server Instance at release.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Mortal Online is a Open World game running on 1 server.
On Haven the "Newb Island" at the release, it will not work like this. There gonna be multiple instance (server). So if you connect with a friend and try to meet him, there is risk that he is not on the same server as you.

It can be a big issue and don't reflect what is supposed to be Mortal Online.

Im not saying that is a MAJOR issue but I think its something that need to be address.

When I tried Haven on MO1 I was very disapointed that there was still no help for the newb. There was only tutor and we had to tell new people what to do because they had no idee. Does Haven is really necessary ? I feel that leaving people choice to spawn in which city they want and put the same tutor would actually do the same job and automatically split the "Release Spawn Trafic jam".

I think the community should discuss a bit about it and try to find the perfect balance without having to use "Instance Server"@Sharding at the release.

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info
Mortal Online is a Open World game running on 1 server.
On Haven the "Newb Island" at the release, it will not work like this. There gonna be multiple instance (server). So if you connect with a friend and try to meet him, there is risk that he is not on the same server as you.

Where was this said? Are you sure they didn't just mean 1 "instance" for real MO and 1 for haven?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Where was this said? Are you sure they didn't just mean 1 "instance" for real MO and 1 for haven?

By Henrik on various streams. Creating multiple instances of Haven is their idea to cushion the launch load.

After the stress test I don´t know if it´s necessary. Every town except Meduli seemed pretty okay with the player load. I doubt persistent launch will see bigger numbers than that.

Reactions: Svaar

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info
Wow. That would be a horrible start for many newcomers in groups!

I think the community should discuss a bit about it and try to find the perfect balance without having to use "Instance Server"@Sharding at the release.

If it has to happen then let it be random by default but allow override choice also, for those starting out with friends

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
They had plans for more Havens in the old game if needed to support many players. It was not. Hopefully we can pick.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
To be fair it's not a bad idea. Haven isn't exactly the bread and butter of Mortal Online. So if a sacrifice has to be made to ensure a better experience for a new player, increasing their own enjoyment and the chances they stick around for more than 30 minutes then I'm all for it.

Reactions: Rhias and Vagrant

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
From what I understand they would only make new instances in cases where there was lots of players trying to get into the game at once.

Under normal circumstances there would only be one instance.

Sure some may get separated during a rush of a release or something. But that is surely better than them not being able to log in at all.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
From what I understand they would only make new instances in cases where there was lots of players trying to get into the game at once.

Under normal circumstances there would only be one instance.

Sure some may get separated during a rush of a release or something. But that is surely better than them not being able to log in at all.
yep that sounds fair, I just hope there's an option to perhaps bail out of an instance and join with friends at that point as most big releases seem to do

Reactions: Amadman and Grisù

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
I didn't played MO1's heaven, whereby i see heaven like a nursery for new players to let them practice and learn game basis in a total safe place, before dealing with the real hardcore game; just to avoid experienced people ruining new players experience by bullying them in a way which they can't even understand.
So for me heaven could even be only client sided singleplayer, if that would mean less time consuming develop, but i really doubt.

I'm an old times gamer, always enjoyed learning in the hardest way, without needing the game holding my hand even if it meant to be in a huge disadvantage compared to navigate players.

Said so, i don't want to impose my play style or critique yours.
If as you said they are going to have multiple heaven instance to reduce server load, and you really care about to have a long heaven experience to enjoy together with your friends here is my very stupid suggestion:

Just have multiple heaven instances on multiple temporary servers as planned (i think the main issue is on release, then after a month or less heaven usage should drastically drop, and MO2 should only need a single heaven instance then), but give players the possibility to change heaven instance on log-on.
Regarding Inventory, Skills, etc. (all player stored data) they could be saved on external common Database on log-off/disconnection/session timeout and loaded in log-on phase on the selected instance.
It only requires a +1 server to host DB, if you really don't want to use another server you can simply just save last heaven instance ID for each heaven player, and load stored data from that server into the selected server.
Data consistency should be guaranteed by the actual login server that already prevents multiple connections, as you may read on the forums there were been multiple accounts locked out for "account already logged in".

Just a fast elaborated stupid proposal, I'm not aware of MO2 actual infrastructure (both software, hardware and network) nor i pretend to be the man with the solution.
Take it as it is, just a simple idea to solve a problem that i don't even experience.
Ready to receive s**tstorm if someone cared to read.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bicorps and Vagrant

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think if Haven is done properly it will be very important but it needs more than a tutor who just tells you where to go. There should be a questline much like the Heros Guild in the original Fable where you try every form of combat and it walks you through what you're supposed to be doing.

Like you talk to the melee instructor and he has you spar with an NPC. There is a part where you're just supposed to parry and you're learning how parry and block are different / how to do a counterstrike. There is a part where you're making attacks and you need to swing from different directions to get past enemy parries. If special moves are in there is a part where you try those and you finish with a free fight against the opponent where you apply all of this at once. As you go through this there the combat instructor is giving you voiced instructions on what to do.

If you don't want to hire voice actors then make a contest where people submit the lines for a free copy of the game to whoever's audio you end up using. I'd do it for free just for the satisfaction of hearing my own voice instruct every newb how to play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
Haven is/was ok really, compared to the original Tindrem grief-garden anyway.
The help chat is pretty key so I'm not sure how or if mentors will be able to assist directly on Haven if they've already left, as they will be keen to do with only one character.
I'm sure many had a spare toon on Haven to 'help' get more guild members too, but I do feel the direct help chat and mentoring was fairly key to keeping a teetering noob interested :)

@Grisù yes both my wife and I learned MO the hard way but we loved it, but we have a weird peaceful playstyle but also loved the risk of full loot and death at any moment, it was great and we loved it bugs and all ( until breeding and tc walls came along anyway ).
This is mostly in the hope of retaining players once the penny drops and they work out the more unusual aspects early.

Like Seb said above, hopefully it's just added instances as each fills up to capacity,
Haven is a fun place to learn and done best with friends for sure, I fear solo might make the hurdle higher for those who like to learn with friends or partners, even though it was hard going, I still appreciated the old Tindrem Gardens, it taught us about death early on :)

Reactions: Amadman and Grisù

Strilan

May 28, 2020
Wow. That would be a horrible start for many newcomers in groups!

If it has to happen then let it be random by default but allow override choice also, for those starting out with friends
This ^

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I don't remember exactly how it worked but they had multiple instances in Mortal Royale and you could somehow switch between que lobbies.

So you could find your friends there in the que and then start the game in the same instance.

Maybe this is something they can adapt for use in haven?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bicorps and Vagrant

Zeerey

Nov 28, 2020
You all are saying an instanced haven is a bad idea but its really not, the game will see larger numbers than the beta test 100% a lot of people don't play betas or tests because theres nothing substantial behind it on top of that the game has not been widely advertised so simply going off of those two facts I can imagine at the very least double the numbers we seen at beta so instead of saying that haven should be ONE instance they should simply have a realm system so that players can join the same realm as their friends on top of this ONE instance of haven would be cancer there would be no monsters, no resources and everyone would hate it.

This is just my thought on the matter and the way I believe things should be done which is quiet possibly the way they are intending to launch but we will see,