Gunpowder in MO2

Fargus

Oct 17, 2021
I have just recently discovered that nitre is a term used in the UK for saltpeter otherwise known as potassium nitrate. With nitre and sulfur being so ubiquitous in the world of nave for its use in some of the most common spells as well as alchemist being an important part of the world I am very surprised that someone hasn't accidentally discovered gunpowder yet.

Two of the most important ingredients for gunpowder are commonly mixed together for spellcasting and with the only heat source for homes and cooking being fire, charcoal is just as common if not more so, its not too for of a stretch to imagine the invention of gunpowder.

Food for thought.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
True, instead they take up and sometimes beyond 1 minute to precast and still misses?

Do it while moving? Freeloading gunpowder instead of pack? Well... Did you pour 3 grams or 5 grams? 10 grams? Oh well you are now blind and your face is now nice and crispy.

How early guns are we talking. Matchlock? Big chance of not even working due to a vast array of points of failures. Powder quality, amount, moisture, wind, temperature, fuze. Not to mention its hard to even determine when the gun fires, since all of the above also affect the fuze.

My brother is an avid black powder marksman, since in Sweden you can own and use guns made before 1890 without a license.
Nearly lost his thumb using prepacked powder with one of his revolvers. And that is 100x safer and easier to use than a matchlock gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
True, instead they take up and sometimes beyond 1 minute to precast and still misses?

Do it while moving? Freeloading gunpowder instead of pack? Well... Did you pour 3 grams or 5 grams? 10 grams? Oh well you are now blind and your face is now nice and crispy.

How early guns are we talking. Matchlock? Big chance of not even working due to a vast array of points of failures. Powder quality, amount, moisture, wind, temperature, fuze. Not to mention its hard to even determine when the gun fires, since all of the above also affect the fuze.

My brother is an avid black powder marksman, since in Sweden you can own and use guns made before 1890 without a license.
Nearly lost his thumb using prepacked powder with one of his revolvers. And that is 100x safer and easier to use than a matchlock gun.

I mean apparently good enough to end the age of steel and sword fighting. Considering the state of magic in game right I'd probably say so. At least you wouldn't get killed by a baby wolf

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I mean apparently good enough to end the age of steel and sword fighting. Considering the state of magic in game right I'd probably say so. At least you wouldn't get killed by a baby wolf
Matchlocks? didn't. Matchlocks existed for about a 100-200 years in countries like china, japan, france, "turkey" before guns started showing up a lot in the battlefields.
If you are thinking about muskets and the more modern weapons, you are really misthinking how much research would go into something in the mo1 universe that is still, inferior to magic. Both cost and flexibility. Don't see a gun healing people, dont see a gun raining down meteors or preventing people from healing.

Even during the time period where guns started to show up in battlefields en masse, that period still fielded cavalry(both with and without guns), pikemen and halberds. Heck, the iconic zweihaender was probably used in the pike and gun periods more than ever before.

Even with 2 weight leather armor. a baby wolf would do around 2-3 damage each hit(or 0-1 if you have defensive stance). a obese mage has 200 hp. You can out heal the wolf with lesser heals even without concentration and even probably punch it to death before it gets you. If you are dying to a baby wolf as a mage then you might want to consider thinking about why that is happening to literally only you.

Mages are fine, I play one. And its only going to get better with more school selection.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Matchlocks? didn't. Matchlocks existed for about a 100-200 years in countries like china, japan, france, "turkey" before guns started showing up a lot in the battlefields.
If you are thinking about muskets and the more modern weapons, you are really misthinking how much research would go into something in the mo1 universe that is still, inferior to magic. Both cost and flexibility. Don't see a gun healing people, dont see a gun raining down meteors or preventing people from healing.

Even during the time period where guns started to show up in battlefields en masse, that period still fielded cavalry(both with and without guns), pikemen and halberds. Heck, the iconic zweihaender was probably used in the pike and gun periods more than ever before.

Even with 2 weight leather armor. a baby wolf would do around 2-3 damage each hit(or 0-1 if you have defensive stance). a obese mage has 200 hp. You can out heal the wolf with lesser heals even without concentration and even probably punch it to death before it gets you. If you are dying to a baby wolf as a mage then you might want to consider thinking about why that is happening to literally only you.

Mages are fine, I play one. And its only going to get better with more school selection.

Guess debating wether magic or guns would be stronger is a waste of time. But yeah of you had to choose between an AK-47 and a six second to shoot fireball in WW3 I think you'd know what to pick

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Guess debating wether magic or guns would be stronger is a waste of time. But yeah of you had to choose between an AK-47 and a six second to shoot fireball in WW3 I think you'd know what to pick
Ah yes, I remember that iconic painting of Washington crossing the Delaware wielding an AK-47. I'm sure stamped steel and other intricacies of making modern guns are totally in line with the theme of a mid medieval time periods fantasy game?

Trolls these days, not even subtle.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Ah yes, I remember that iconic painting of Washington crossing the Delaware wielding an AK-47. I'm sure stamped steel and other intricacies of making modern guns are totally in line with the theme of a mid medieval time periods fantasy game?

Trolls these days, not even subtle.

Oh yeah, you know me, just spending my day trolling people on the MO2 forum by not agreeing with everything everyone says.

• Haha