Guild Retention Rates? Can you post your estimates?

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Seems in our guild we help noobs out with training, daily duels, books, armor and weapons. But for every 10 noobs we get. Only 2 survive the trials of war. They have no heart, they tap out instead of transforming into hardened warriors. The threat of KOS to traitors doesn't scare them into loyalty because most players quit after a few days of trying out the game. We were stuck at 12 players for awhile split in half during time zones between UK and American time zones. We slowly climbed to 20 but it took forever.

Seems a lot of new players expect and want a lot of hand holding, and even going to sleep means you could wake up to them crying over getting ganked. Because they aren't smart enough to be careful farming.

I feel like the tutorial should have a guilds section explaining the pros and cons of what it means to wear a guild tag. As well as a warning on screen that explains War declarations. Perhaps even a npc screaming in text. "Careful Noobs, you are approaching the end of town, other players will kill you especially if you are in a opposing guild" one might think these ideas are pointless but after going through probably 300 bums new to the full loot mmo genre I can tell you that most players are straight retarded an have no clue about being street smart. Knowledge slips through their head, because it's already full of hot air an stupidity.

So it's better if a Npc was there to remind them of their stupidity. Or perhaps a guild npc that says you have X amount of players online be weary of other zerg guilds you aren't protected from your vet big brothers right now. Not sure what else to say. Leave me your feedback an retention rates I'm curious how others are doing, thanks for reading!

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
I feel like the tutorial should have a guilds section explaining the pros and cons of what it means to wear a guild tag. As well as a warning on screen that explains War declarations. Perhaps even a npc screaming in text. "Careful Noobs, you are approaching the end of town, other players will kill you especially if you are in a opposing guild" one might think these ideas are pointless but after going through probably 300 bums new to the full loot mmo genre I can tell you that most players are straight retarded an have no clue about being street smart. Knowledge slips through their head, because it's already full of hot air an stupidity.

They could do that, it wouldn't hurt but... in the absence of such a tutorial, should not your recruiters tell this to the people they bring in?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Eh I've played games that force joining a guild as part of their tutorial and it basically just benefits zerg guilds

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
It was just as bad in MO trying to keep new players playing.

You just cant force people to play a second job simulator that sucks the enjoyment out of your play time. Thats how the devs designed the game, no wonder the reality shines through as it has for over 10 years.

Reactions: nazgo

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Just from reading your post I could see a few reasons why people don't stick with you.
And just from reading yours I can see another Mortal Online Player without a Brain that just likes to come here and cause drama. I Have 20 players that's more then 90% of the rest of you. Forgive a man for being honest when I know all the rest of you have guild mates coming and going as well. Put down your ego sonny.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
It was just as bad in MO trying to keep new players playing.

You just cant force people to play a second job simulator that sucks the enjoyment out of your play time. Thats how the devs designed the game, no wonder the reality shines through as it has for over 10 years.
But the playerbase still thinks that Mining at it's current yield is "Fine the Way it is lmao" I would like for them to add in the tutorial a full explanation on what guilds do and the pros and cons of joining. Like getting a team to help you as a Pro but having other guilds as enemies as a Con. Or being able to kill bosses as a team but by yourself it's impossible. And At the Guild Stone you could look through guild names, you could also find specific guilds for specific goals. Depending on your Build and your professions. This would help the game greatly.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I guess we need to wait for after the release to get the real rates xD. currently everyone is just waiting.
Take good care of Bamsi lol. He was German but took 6 hours to figure out Haven wasn't Fabernum, to figure out the direction SW, to learn to go across a river. How to Mount a Horse, and the list goes on. I almost feel bad for you because he wants to join a "German Guild"

Reactions: Speznat

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Just from reading your post I could see a few reasons why people don't stick with you.
Get back to me once you have heard this 100 times over and then maybe you will understand why I say a lot of new players are idiots, and have very little idea about what a Full loot Mmo entails. Also I don't call them idiots, i am actually helpful. But "Hey Guys uhh I just died to so and so am i not safe in the graveyard" "How to Mount a Horse" "Which Direction is SW" "Okay So you are saying to Shoot a Bow I need Arrows" "After 2 hours of texting them from across the other side of the world....I think i'm in Meduli but the sign says Tindrem?" and then you gotta go to that town to pick them up and take them to this town because they can't follow road signs, and a week later you answer the same questions to the same players while giving them gear that they lose in 2 seconds and they quit because "They died too many times". This game doesn't really explain to noobs very well the bare basics. Otherwise I fail to understand why one must explain the same thing to every new player. And I feel like the mechanics of the game itself push new players out of the game faster then Vets can teach them and guide them. Add ontop of the fact that me and like 5 Vets out of a 20 person guild then go back and farm all the mats for another week straight and it becomes a vicious cycle. There is a lot of improvements that could be made to the game to help with these problems.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
They could do that, it wouldn't hurt but... in the absence of such a tutorial, should not your recruiters tell this to the people they bring in?
Well generally yes, but a lot of people are afraid of voice to voice contact and avoid discords like the plague it seems for every 10 people we bring in, 1 of them wants to voice chat. But typically we tell people the focus of our guild and it seems to work for that niche of player. But I feel like if the game explains the different combat roles more effectively and then had people choose a guild based on what they enjoy and explained things to them in Haven then it would help. Cuz they could be like hmm okay I can leave this guild and join maybe 3 others that fit the exact criteria i had. Maybe it would make them be more loyal if they knew not every guild does the same thing? Like there is probably only like 3 Crafting guilds i Can think of off top of my head. Like the WolfZeit, the Integrity, and the RoyalBankOfTindrem so it's like a crafter only player would have to choose one of them too and if they knew that from the beginning then they could choose a more solid direction. Like we went through a South African and a German that wanted guilds who spoke those languages too.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
after going through probably 300 bums new to the full loot mmo genre I can tell you that most players are straight retarded an have no clue about being street smart. Knowledge slips through their head, because it's already full of hot air an stupidity.
It is indeed a mystery how you attract but do not retain more players.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackdstripper

Rulant

May 30, 2020
And just from reading yours I can see another Mortal Online Player without a Brain that just likes to come here and cause drama. I Have 20 players that's more then 90% of the rest of you. Forgive a man for being honest when I know all the rest of you have guild mates coming and going as well. Put down your ego sonny.
Pointing out that you're hostile in your post don't mean I have big ego or am trying to start drama. I've been in leadership positions in multiple large guilds in multiple full loot games and it's not that hard you just have to know how to talk to people and know how to set up voice servers with information that people need so they don't have to ask the questions in the first place.

People come and go it's the nature of games, especially ones like MO, but they are more likely to stick around if you actually make the guild into a community that people WANT to stay in and not just try to make it a group of tryhards that shit on each other if they aren't perfect and get annoyed by brand new players without experience in games like this asking questions. But yeah some people are just gonna be stupid, it happens.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
cause drama
I see no great drama here.

• If I might advise, concentrate on your successes in training people, and not on your failures. To say the least, some failures in connection with teaching or training people to do something are as much the fault of the learner as of the teacher.
  • If they're failing to be careful, it hurts no-one more than it hurts them.
  • If they are complaining of it, and yet you feel it hurts you more than it hurts them, maybe you are conflating your competence with theirs.
  • Perhaps you must get a little thicker skin about listening to complaints about things that cannot be fixed, only learned from. Your new people will never learn, some of them, except from bad experiences — and you would really not want to take that away from them.
  • Grinding your teeth only wears down your enamel.
  • When you spend time fretting over the bottom of the class, especially the ones who have already left, you take that time & attention away from the top of the class.
  • People reading the forums looking for a guild, and to find out more about guilds — people who have never led a gukld or wrangled newbites in their lives— will read your words and simply take them for your permanent attitude, and not an expression of temporary frustration.
  • If it's not temporary frustration — if it's permanent and inescapable — you could do what so many other guilds do and not take on people who need any training; leave that to the guilds who train people only to get them cherry-picked away. It works for many.
Rulant really is telling you the truth. What you are trying to do with new players only takes near-infinite patience and a lot of repetition.

I used to use this formula:
  • First, tell them what it is that you're going to tell them.
  • Then tell them.
  • Then, explain to them what it is that you just told them.
.... Even then, expect someone to ask you again about something you already explained. Don't punish that with words or tone of voice. At least they're asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speznat and Rulant