Guide for a Hybrid between Mounted Combat and a Footfighter

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
About the Build and the Race

I wanted to create a versetile Character Build, becuase of SV new 1 Character Policy.
A Character you can transport with. A Character that can be used for PVE/Dungens, and that is able to join a Footfighter Group, or a Mounted Combat Group at the same time.

Which Race would be the best ? How much Str do i need ?

You want a Character with as much Str as possible
I tested some mounted Combat Weapons, and if you want to use Hammers, you need that 121 Str.

If the mechanics are the same as in the first game, mounted combat weapons require twice the strength, when they are used with one hand from a horse. That would be exactly 121 Str for a MC steel weapon, if you don't want to use magic rings, an amulet with strength, or a weapon hilt.

1.Thursar Kallard 121 Str 91 Dex.jpeg

A Starmace with a Longhandel Spongewood/Silk + Steel Head cost arround 60 Str (120 from a mount). The damage caused by starmaces is divided into slashing and bashing damage.

Sledgehammers almost exclusively deals bashing damage, and the bashing damage is likely to determine, whether you can dismount a player. These need a lot of strength. 65 Str and more. This would be 130 Str from a mount, and no Character can reach such a high Str. To use these, you may need magic rings, an amulet and a weapon hilt.

1.Thursar Kallard 121 Str 91 Dex.jpeg

That´s the reason i will go for Starmaces with 60 Str requirement (120 from Mount)

The Skills

1. Controlled Riding 100 ???
2. Mounted combat or Mounted Archery 100 ???
3. Hammers 100/ Archery (12 Bonus Str) + ( 1 Bonus Con) + (... Bonus Claid Gifts)
4. Secondary Weapon Skill Swords 100 Swords = (11 Bonus Str) + (1 Bonus Dex)
5. Aggresive stances 80 (11 Bonus Str) + (5 Bonus Str)
6. Defensive stances 80 (5 Bonus Str) + (2 Bonus from Con)
7. Sprinting 100 (1 Bonus from Con) + (2 Bonus from Dex)
8. Combat Manovering 100 (2 Bonus from Dex) + (1 Bonus from Dex)
9. Armor trainning 88 (11 Bonus Str) + (1 Bonus Dex)
(88 armor training should be anough to wear a full Ironbone Armor with Steel Torso) (with the 2 Nodes that reduce Armor weight from the Ogmir Claid Gifts)
11. Anatomy 100 (5 Bonus Str) + (2 Bonus Int)
12. Blocking 0 (5 Bonus Str) + (2 Bonus Dex)
(Blocking won´t cost more Stamina because Blocking Endurence is a secondary from Combat Monovering, but you have to parry, becuase you get full damage, if you block too long)
13. Balance 100 ???
14. Creature Controll 65 ???
(45 CC + the Bonus Points from Attributes should be enough to ride a lvl 88 Bullhorse) (have to be tested in MO2)

The Skill Bonuses are shown in green (Tested with the Ogmir)
That would be additional 87 Points !

1. These could be put in Blocking (if you are from the USA, and tend to always block a bit more early)

2. These could be put into Blocking to consume less stamina while you block and run

3. Or you put these 87 Points in Animalcare to heal your mount with bandages

The Thrursar gets more Damage Bonus and the Ogmir has knockdown resistence in his Claid Gifts. Because of the high damage bonus, the Thursar may be able to dismount other players, but can also be dismounted more easy himself, because of the lack of knockdown resistance in the Claid Gifts. The Ogrmir may not be able to get dismounted, but other players will not be able to dismount him either. But that's pure speculation.

The Human would need to use magic jewelry, or a weaponhilt, that reduces the Str Requirement of a weapon to fight from mount, which makes him much more expensive to equip. Humans can mitigate magical damage from their Claid Gifts. MC characters are always vulnerable against Magic, because they have a big hitbox while they are sitting on a huge mount.

Weaponhilts are not so easy to get. I think you had to farm very hard Dungens in MO1, such as the Cultist or the Sator Dungen to get them. This Dungens take arround 2h to complete + you need to have a healer that could revive Players for the case someone died, maybe a Lockpicker for specific Chests, a Tamer with a Pet and this not include the travel time. There was always the risk to get involved into a fight, and you had to gear yourself pretty well to do the harder Dungens. You had to find a Key to open the Bossroom, and you might want to build a Prist and a house near the Dungen, if the mission failed.

You could buy these Weaponhilts from other Players, but they did cost quite some Cash.

In MO1 every expedition had to be well prepared, and the Map in MO2 will even be bigger.

I think new Players need to know that this game is not so easy. That it is not easy to get specific Items, to which the Weaponhilts did belong.
The hard Dungens were well hidden. For example in the deepest Jungle, and you had no Map. But that's exactly what I liked about the game.

You had to be smart to survive. Make friends, find a Guild, make Contracts with other Guilds as a crafter, so that they allow you to farm materials in their area, if you donate 10-20 % of the farmed Materials, so that they will protect you.

This game plays defferent than any other game.

I hoped this Guide helped some of the new Players. It will be updated, after we will be able to test more things. After SV have implemented Horses and all Claid Gifts.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Depending if you prefer the playstyle of a Mounted Combat/Footfighter, or Mounted Archer/Footfighter,
you can also choose to drop Swords, and go for 100 Vitalism, to heal your mount, if you play the mounted Combat/Footfighter.

For the Mounted Archer/Footfighter the secondary Weaponskill is mendatory.

Ps. Does anyone know how much the weaponhilts, and the perfect weaponhilts, reduced the Str requirement of a weapon in MO1 ?

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
The Survivalist

If you choose to go for Swimming you need to know that this Character should be able to swim in his Ironbone Armor + Steel Torso. (Have to be tested)
You need arround 60-70 resist swimming (so you need 60-70 Survival) Swimming and resist swimming is a secondary Skill from Endurence and Survival

The Skills would be

1. Controlled Riding 100
2. Mounted combat or Mounted Archery 90
5. Hammers 85/ Archery
6. Secondary Weapon Skill Swords 85 / or Vitalism
6. Aggresive stances 50
7. Defensive stances 50
8. Sprinting 100
9. Combat Manovering 100
10. Armor trainning 100
11. Heavy armor trainning 67
12. Anatomy 90
13. Blocking 0
14. Balance 100
15. Creature Controll 65
16.Endurence 50
17.Survival 60

Note: i would love if SV would make it possible to create a human with 121 Str aswell, if you select specific Parents (Age and Size), for the cost of his higher Dex, and a Claid Gift, that allow him to learn Swimming, without having to skill Endurence.

This race specific Changes would make this Build much better (more viable), and would make the Human a much more versetile Character, if we could get 50 more defencive Stance on that Build. It would not ruin the balance, becuase Swimming is a skill, that most Builds won´t use, becuase they miss the Skillpoints to do so. That mean that these Builds could not save the Skillpoints for Swimming somewhere else. Points in other Skills used by a Hybrid or other Builds, or simply 50 more Skillpoints would cause imbalances, becuase a full mage, or full fighter, could use a Pet.

In MO1 we also had Hybrids between
Mounted Archery and Mounted Combat.
Between Mounted Combat and Mouned Mage,
and between Mounted Archer and Mounted Mage.

Maybe this old Guide can insipre Players to make their own Build.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Two things that may potentially throw a wrench in your plans here. It's been hinted that Thursar will be limited in mounts if they can ride them at all, and that the weight of your weapon will give penalties when you swing it from a mount.

So we might see a human and ohgmir+lance meta for mounted melee. But who knows how serious they were about actually doing those things. If they weren't Thursar+hammer meta will likely still reign supreme.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Ps. Does anyone know how much the weaponhilts, and the perfect weaponhilts, reduced the Str requirement of a weapon in MO1 ?

Straight handle is the lighest 2h handle for hammers, but ring handle actually has the highest overall strength reduction in the testing I preformed despite being heavier. Mind you these tests were performed on steel/steel/steel weapons so the differences are pretty dramatic (By design, it gave me larger numbers to spot smaller differences). but there was a 6.12 strength reduction from twisted handle (my control, and the heaviest hammer handle).

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Two things that may potentially throw a wrench in your plans here. It's been hinted that Thursar will be limited in mounts if they can ride them at all, and that the weight of your weapon will give penalties when you swing it from a mount.

So we might see a human and ohgmir+lance meta for mounted melee. But who knows how serious they were about actually doing those things. If they weren't Thursar+hammer meta will likely still reign supreme.

Ogmirs are not bad aswell.

"The weight of your weapon will give penalties when you swing it from a mount."

In MO1 the Weapons needed twice the STR, if you use them 1 handed from a mount. Do you mean this, or somethign else ?
Maybe the Human can be played as a MC Character, if SV would reduce the required Str to wield a Weapon from a Mount from 200 % to 180%
Who knows, but at the moment I assume that the MC mechanics from MO1 will be retained.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Straight handle is the lighest 2h handle for hammers, but ring handle actually has the highest overall strength reduction in the testing I preformed despite being heavier. Mind you these tests were performed on steel/steel/steel weapons so the differences are pretty dramatic (By design, it gave me larger numbers to spot smaller differences). but there was a 6.12 strength reduction from twisted handle (my control, and the heaviest hammer handle).

I think the straight Handel and the twised handel can be used. The other Handels for 2h Hammers are way too short. I crafted the Sledgehammer with a Straight Handel, becuase the twisted would be way to heavy. I tested all Handels with Messing and Bron aswell. Both Materials are too heavy and can´t be used without Weaponhilts or Juwelery.

Is tindremic Messing lighter then steel and lighter then Messing ?

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I believe it's a new mechanic specifically aimed at making mounted mauls not the meta. I hope it's true because it's insane mauls are considered better than lances. Especially when lances have their own primary. Lances for sure should be the meta for charge based mounted combat builds if the system is good.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
If the mechanics are the same as in the first game, mounted combat weapons require twice the strength, when they are used with one hand from a horse. That would be exactly 121 Str for a MC steel weapon, if you don't want to use magic rings, an amulet with strength, or a weapon hilt.

Actually they patched it in MO1. I think there is now a calculation with the strength that determines the max weight. And it's no longer (only) bound to the weapon's strength requirement.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
plz explain that a bit more precise
Just scanned the old MO1 patch notes:
"Lowered the maximum weight of weapons that mounted fighters can use without receiving
Stamina and damage penalties. (Player Strength / 30) "

That means with 120str you can wield a weapon with up to 4kg.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
If this is the case, we would be limited to use a Staight Handel with a Starmace or flangedmace Head crafted from Steel, if we wouldn´t want to use a Weaponhilt or Juwelery. The weapon would be a bit shorter.

I am fine with that. MC was always a bit strong. We don´t have the Skill sleeping in MO2, so noone can lie down, if he see a MC Fighter.

I personally hope that all mounted Players on Lykators (on Mounts that can Climb Mountains), can be dismounted by any weapon, so that Lykators are limited to be used from Mounted Archers. The Mountains should be a Footfighter Area.

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
A lot of the plains aren't even very good for mounteds because of rocks and ditches.

Will axes now be more viable than maces/hammers?

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
their weight is even greater than that of the hammers. I will test them and Poleaxes aswell but they would need 200 Skillpoints.

Reactions: Rorry

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So lances, are they couchable? If so I would hope that's part of the intent of this system. A couched lance not actually being swung and therefore not incurring the penalty / being able to be weight stacked more than any other mounted weapon for supreme damage on mounted charges.

If that isn't the intent of this system, it should be. Lances should be the meta for maximum damage on a charge given their historical place as such as well as the fact I'm assuming they are a very bad weapon for infantry but require 100 primary points to learn.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
for supreme damage on mounted charges.
also mounted attacks should take into account the speed of the person you're hitting. if two MCs are going full tilt on their horses but at equal speed in the same direction, there should be no bonus in the attacks. alternatively, if they were going in opposite directions the bonus damage should be massive

-barcode

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The upper range of hammers is much higher than the str requirement upper range of axes, but the lower range is also lower than the lower range str requirement of axes. Hammers just have a huge range of str requirements compared to axes.