Greatblades vs Katanas

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
So I've been delving into smithing and today I've finally started making katanas (Khurite greatblade). Until now I've been making regular greatblades (like heavy greatblade with clover crossguard) because I found their crafting books first.

But now looking at the stats of both made at equal skill level, katanas seem underwhelming from pure stats vs stats. Overall quite a bit less durabiliy and damage, only advantages seem to be strenght required and weapon weight.

So what is the deal with katanas, are the supposed to be a lighter version of greatblades for more dex focused builds ? Or is there something I'm not understanding that makes them compete with regular greatblade. For example, I have no idea how important weapon weight is, does it do something important like lighter weapons have faster swings ?

I'd really appriciate any further insight on these weapon stats.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
So I've been delving into smithing and today I've finally started making katanas (Khurite greatblade). Until now I've been making regular greatblades (like heavy greatblade with clover crossguard) because I found their crafting books first.

But now looking at the stats of both made at equal skill level, katanas seem underwhelming from pure stats vs stats. Overall quite a bit less durabiliy and damage, only advantages seem to be strenght required and weapon weight.

So what is the deal with katanas, are the supposed to be a lighter version of greatblades for more dex focused builds ? Or is there something I'm not understanding that makes them compete with regular greatblade. For example, I have no idea how important weapon weight is, does it do something important like lighter weapons have faster swings ?

Lighter weapons have faster swings and less stamina drain.

The problem with katanas is their range which is trash.

Reactions: KebekLorde

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
It's just a slightly different greatblade.
Slightly lighter = less blunt damage.
less blunt damage inherently, also but gets more slashing.
Is very slightly shorter.

It's just for a different playstyle than big slow brawny guy with a greatblade, like a alvarin sword user which has less issues getting within range of someone else and can utilize the faster swing speeds.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021

Well yeah katanas are basically ment" to be made from heavier materials and have lesser weight and dmg than greatblades overall, generally faster weapons and i'd think a slight better piercing. But i find them kinda shitty since they do take a good amount of materials and the overal stats are not thaat nice.
Then again good weapons for reduced STR builds.

Reactions: bbihah

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its a niche for sure. If no one uses the niche because its not for them, thats exactly why its there. But in the entire span of weapons we have, its perfectly balanced for what it is.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Depends on how you fight, if you get in on people, if you wanna like close the gap and run around people (harder w/ how the parry system is a joke) you can use a katana. They are monster pve weps too, btw, people laugh at me but it's true, plus they use v few mats. I really like katanas but I'm not exactly excited to level up another wep skill, and pre-steel I wouldn't fuck w/ them... and I don't have steel yet either aiye. Ain't nobody tryin to use a flake katana. Jade is... pretty ok. Cuprum loool it's possible? But it's actually TRASH. But yea steel katanas are very much worth their mat use esp for pve and if you play aggressive, you can make it work, imo.

Edit: if counter reduce was less of a thing, katana would be even better. Most people step OUT w/ katana you step IN. So you can take a parry and stay in a range where you aren't gonna take much dmg (usually) unless the other person understands what you're doing and at first they usually don't cuz their brain is wired in a big loop. But yea katana is like a running around in circles chop chop chop wep. Was much better in MO1 w/ the way parry works now. But the main bonus is just using like 67 steel or w/e.