Give us regional servers

Should MO2 have regional servers?

• Total voters

TheNomadMan

Dec 15, 2021
I find the idea of regionally located continents pretty exciting. I imagine this would lead to a general gravitation toward the landmass with the best ping for a given individual. And; would likely have a profound impact on the development of guilds, guild/alliance politics, and interregional relations.

Reactions: Amadman

Anthius

Aug 24, 2021
They're making the game more casual.
Barely.. not enough of a player base for more than 1 server and would be impossible to combine the servers after the regional servers die out. If this game has 4k daily players 5 months after release i'll be surprised.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
This is the ideal solution, unless a miracle occurs and the game ends up being large enough to sustain multiple highly populated servers.
I love it how people are suddenly ok with the single server if it doesn't affects them personally.
Being russian, i must object. At least americans play with other americans most of the time due to timezones, so it kinda equals the playing field a bit, though still s**s of course. We'll have to play with europeans and suffer, do not want.

Regional continents, or even one continent with east being east and west being west is a much better solution, though i imagine node lines might be a problem.

Last edited:

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020

The game also had below 300 players for 5 years after hitting Steam. Though I've heard the argument that the Steam Charts was never accurate.

But being someone who played before it was on Steam and after, anyone who played knows the game had easily below 500 players for a very, very, very long time.

I don't think the MO1 servers being up is a fair point of view, considering they're still up. But lets use the past two years (2020 and 2021) as well, where the game had below 150 players and never went above that.

A server being up =/= Success.

I could go find other examples of games that have their servers up still, doesn't mean it makes them successful.
As a community we need to evolve. The Devs need to evolve with us and more players will come. When that time comes we will need multiple servers one way or another. Because 1 server is only capable of supporting so many players at once. I am in Favor of each continent being hosted somewhere else when that time comes. Great idea btw! On a side note: We lost 300 daily log in players from the terrible housing patch. We may never regain those number since the game is already able to be bought on Steam rip marketing.

Hibernicus

Dec 23, 2021
I'm in US west and am still considering buying MO2. One of the main reasons I'm still thinking about it (and haven't bought it yet) is the potential latency/ping issues. I don't know if I want to pay $45 for a trial...

I might be biased here, but I would imagine I'm not the only one thinking this way. If the server was on us east, that would be less of an issue for me, but of course it would introduce the same problem for other parts of the world. Therefore it doesn't really seem like a solution, it doesn't actually change much.

Comparing to Albion online (which also has a single server, with the location being in us-east afaik), there are a lot of different regions on the in-game continent. To make the game playable and enjoyable for players around the world, they made different in-game regions have timers for different time zones around the world, so that e.g. SEA/EU/US players will each have different areas that they'll end up fighting for. All players are still on the same server and can play together when possible, but due to time zones it often isn't practical.

I think this was a pretty good solution between single server vs regional server, because with regional server e.g. US and EU players would never be able to play together.

I don't know if it's technically viable/feasible, but if those different in-game regions could have different servers around the world, it would be even better. That way, a specific area of the game would have lower ping for US players, so most US players might choose to play there. Personally i think this would be the ideal solution from all points of view.

Reactions: Tzone

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I don't know if it's technically viable/feasible, but if those different in-game regions could have different servers around the world, it would be even better. That way, a specific area of the game would have lower ping for US players, so most US players might choose to play there. Personally i think this would be the ideal solution from all points of view.

Appreciate you trying to think creatively. That's exactly what the idea of a new continent being in a new region would offer. With the current structure of having a single contiguous open world with no load times, it requires all "nodes" of the map to be located in the same datacenter most likely, so you can be shifted around/interact with people in different nodes.

Putting part of the map on another region's datacenter would mean transferring your character etc to that other regional datacenter, which would mean loading you over there (hence a new continent). And by all reports, in the previous game where they had regional zones/continents, people just hung out in their region's zone, which would undo the current effort to have a single shared world concept at this point where there aren't enough people to fill the current continent.

Your concern about needing to pay to test your connection is valid though, they are looking at putting in a free trial on the tutorial island which would allow people to test their connection. As it stands you'll unfortunately either have to use Steam's refund feature or watch videos of people playing from NA to get an idea of what your experience will be like.

Btw, thanks for the poll OP. Glad to see that basically 68% of people believe the game should not have regional servers or it should be handled by a new continent, while only 22% believe there should be regional servers in general.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Btw, thanks for the poll OP. Glad to see that basically 68% of people believe the game should not have regional servers or it should be handled by a new continent, while only 22% believe there should be regional servers in general.
85 people voted, do you know that most people dont touch the forums.

This isnt supposed to be a popularity contest either thats just a way to deflect having to have a good argument or defeat the good arguments of other.

Just from being in game and lurking steam forum along with all the points people made here, most people would want regional servers. You are too disadvantaged being non EU playing this game for a good amount of people to find it as fun.

Regional servers always means more people. Non regional servers mean less people but is what you have to do if barely anyone wants to play the game. With how hungry people are are for a MMO you wont have a issue getting enought people for multiple servers like how it was with MO1 which also didnt get any advertising.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Appreciate you trying to think creatively. That's exactly what the idea of a new continent being in a new region would offer. With the current structure of having a single contiguous open world with no load times, it requires all "nodes" of the map to be located in the same datacenter most likely, so you can be shifted around/interact with people in different nodes.

Putting part of the map on another region's datacenter would mean transferring your character etc to that other regional datacenter, which would mean loading you over there (hence a new continent). And by all reports, in the previous game where they had regional zones/continents, people just hung out in their region's zone, which would undo the current effort to have a single shared world concept at this point where there aren't enough people to fill the current continent.

Your concern about needing to pay to test your connection is valid though, they are looking at putting in a free trial on the tutorial island which would allow people to test their connection. As it stands you'll unfortunately either have to use Steam's refund feature or watch videos of people playing from NA to get an idea of what your experience will be like.

You should take a look at the poll again, that's not what it says.

poll.PNG

It says 43.3% of the players voted against the idea of them. You could argue the third option goes either way, but the fourth is entirely different from 'Yes' and 'No'.

Also, much of the player base communicates via Discord. The forums are not truly represented in way of the players using them.

I do no not appreciate attempting to 'word' your statement as if it's correct. If we want to get into anecdotal information, almost anyone I've spoken to believes there should be regional servers. I've spoken to from people from NA, to EU, to AUS.

Most NA players dislike how they're stuck in the middle ground of being worse then EU players, but then having to fight laggy AUS players.

EU players dislike having to deal with laggy NA and AUS players, but since the previous game was also in the EU they've not felt much change and have an advantage over anywhere else.

Most AUS players I encounter tell me they have to run things like ExitLag to even play. I saw someone talking in help chat the other day saying he plays with 280 ping. That's fucking terrible. A personally close friend of mine described it perfectly, so I'll paraphrase what he said.

"You're able to hit me, parry my next attack, then hit me again. I can never get a hit in if you play purely defensive no matter how much I mix up my attacks."

People can obviously take that and say he sucks, or doesn't know the game well enough.. But trust. He played the first game almost as long as I have and exclusively played in PvP groups. The ping issue made him quit, and I don't blame him honestly. Why would you want to play with stupidly high ping? The aussies that say it's normalized and feel good - nine times out of ten are aussies who do very non-intensive things that your ping wont really matter with.

The other problem is this: If Steam sales are high enough, it's been stated multiple times they'll temporarily close sales on MO2. Which tells me their single server structure isn't capable of handling a ton of people at once. Launch is going to be a nightmare if it gets swamped with people - and will more than likely drive off more then it keeps.

I've read through the forums and seen plenty of solutions such as just allowing people to choose which region they play in, which would then allow them to play elsewhere in the current server they were on goes to shit for them (i.e. Everyone hates them, can't find any compatible guilds, etc.)

The only real issues I've seen presented is population being divided, and timezones having 'lull' times as not all types of people will be in the same region. But realistically speaking if the game is good and successful, the servers will be populated.

I get people want to play with everyone, and so do I, but the idea isn't technologically doable without a ton of issues. What we have now is a bastardized system of mechanics which compensate for latency. It's super crude and frankly makes the game less snappy. That's why you still see videos of people getting hit 10 feet away, people hitting a player and getting parried even though on your screen they didn't parry in time, etc.

A lot of people then try that stupid strawman of "go play PvP game kid DUHHRTRHUUUH!!" but even in those PvP games you don't see them cramming all types of players into on server just to fill out population. People play in regions. It's a very modern concept that typically leads to more successful games. I remember how much flak Ubisoft got when they made For Honor P2P connections. Like what the fuck were they thinking? It's on the same level as that, just it's effecting an MMO and not a lobby-styled PvP game.

Reactions: RaptorBlackz

Hibernicus

Dec 23, 2021
I do no not appreciate attempting to 'word' your statement as if it's correct. If we want to get into anecdotal information, almost anyone I've spoken to believes there should be regional servers. I've spoken to from people from NA, to EU, to AUS.

Most NA players dislike how they're stuck in the middle ground of being worse then EU players, but then having to fight laggy AUS players.

It's always tough to interpret the data from a poll or anecdotal information, but I would argue that a good majority (if not all) of the people who are asking for regional servers are just trying to avoid the lag, since that's how most games have solved the issue. Most people would probably answer yes/no to regional servers, without considering the option 4 as a different way of approaching the lag problem.

It's somewhat similar to the Henry Ford anecdote/quote (even though factually incorrect): "If I'd ask customers what they wanted, they would've told me a faster horse." But customers were pretty happy when they got a car instead of a faster horse; solving for the actual problem even though the majority didn't specifically ask for it.

The only real issues I've seen presented is population being divided, and timezones having 'lull' times as not all types of people will be in the same region. But realistically speaking if the game is good and successful, the servers will be populated.

Another very real issue is what we're seeing in New World as we speak. They had a massive number of players at launch, and even added more servers in the first few days so that everyone could play. Then, as weeks went by and more and more players quit, a majority of the servers were basically ghost towns. This caused even more players to quit, because you could not find groups to play with, and the game felt like a single player game in a big open world instead of a MMO which it was supposed to be.

It's very to hard to predict how the player count evolves during and immediately after launch. Trying to solve for lag by adding regional servers could possibly cause more problems than it solves.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
It's always tough to interpret the data from a poll or anecdotal information, but I would argue that a good majority (if not all) of the people who are asking for regional servers are just trying to avoid the lag, since that's how most games have solved the issue. Most people would probably answer yes/no to regional servers, without considering the option 4 as a different way of approaching the lag problem.

It's somewhat similar to the Henry Ford anecdote/quote (even though factually incorrect): "If I'd ask customers what they wanted, they would've told me a faster horse." But customers were pretty happy when they got a car instead of a faster horse; solving for the actual problem even though the majority didn't specifically ask for it.

Another very real issue is what we're seeing in New World as we speak. They had a massive number of players at launch, and even added more servers in the first few days so that everyone could play. Then, as weeks went by and more and more players quit, a majority of the servers were basically ghost towns. This caused even more players to quit, because you could not find groups to play with, and the game felt like a single player game in a big open world instead of a MMO which it was supposed to be.

It's very to hard to predict how the player count evolves during and immediately after launch. Trying to solve for lag by adding regional servers could possibly cause more problems than it solves.

It's not really fair to compare New World to MO2 servers. New World launched with an ungodly amount of servers due to nearly a million people playing it at once.

MO2 would be fine with 3 at maximum.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I voted for continents to be hosted elsewhere but, I would have voted No over Yes otherwise.

The world is huge and many other continents are planned.

There will never be a population to fully occupy the planned world multiple times.

They either need to find a way to make it work for everyone in one location or have multiple servers hosting parts of the same world.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each for sure.

But having the population divide multiple times across worlds seems like it would have the most negative effects.

Last edited:

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I voted for continents to be hosted elsewhere but, I would have voted No over Yes otherwise.

The world is huge and many other continents are planned.

There will never be a population to fully occupy the planned world multiple times.

They either need to find a way to make it work for everyone in one location or have multiple servers hosting parts of the same world.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each for sure.

But having the population divide multiple times across worlds seems like it would have the most negative effects.

1v1 me in fishing.

Reactions: Amadman
D

Deleted member 44

The game should have regional servers, or at least have regional nodes dividing up the map. Without playing on mount, a NA player playing against an equally skilled EU player will get dunked on foot. Simple fact on how the game works. It's shit, and the reason I don't waste my time on foot. Why roll around in good gear when some trash can player can roll up on you with garbage gear and low ping and dunk you out before you can even blink.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The only positive side to having several regional servers is the ping, but besides that lets be honest not even the current population can fill up this nave map and we already discussing having several servers and more continents.

I don't see why not to discuss these things yet theres so many and more important things to discuss than this.

Then theres this model many games have of tiny servers that have a limited population but the overall experience has nothing to do with Mortal, this game is thought from the bones to be able to endure large populations, it could never really see large populations but its what is aiming for and from the starting design.

The sole idea of having several servers goes against that core concept the game comes from.

Then theres the reality that this game is directed for EU populations, rest of the world has terrible ping specially west and eastern regions.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021
Gaul'kor
The only positive side to having several regional servers is the ping, but besides that lets be honest not even the current population can fill up this nave map and we already discussing having several servers and more continents.

I don't see why not to discuss these things yet theres so many and more important things to discuss than this.

Then theres this model many games have of tiny servers that have a limited population but the overall experience has nothing to do with Mortal, this game is thought from the bones to be able to endure large populations, it could never really see large populations but its what is aiming for and from the starting design.

The sole idea of having several servers goes against that core concept the game comes from.

The game would benefit from servers because it would increase the quality of the game and not degrade it as it does so now

Also what @Shmerrick said above is 200% true. The ping difference in this game is extremely different and provides clear advantages. Good luck beating an equally skilled player with EU ping as NA or being from somewhere with 100+ ping.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The game would benefit from servers because it would increase the quality of the game and not degrade it as it does so now

Also what @Shmerrick said above is 200% true. The ping difference in this game is extremely different and provides clear advantages. Good luck beating an equally skilled player with EU ping as NA or being from somewhere with 100+ ping.

Its true, the game would benefit from players having a good ping. And its also true ping difference is a lot i've played most of my gaming life by having at least 200ms or more than other regions.

I could imagine rotating regions for servers-game would be more fair for everyone but i doubt SV has or its willing to invest in such infrastructure when they are barely doing what they already are.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Dont really care about intangible core ideals. I care about gameplay and a better experience. Henrik thinks that 30 FPS is do able for the game and that 25 FPS is solid enough. His priorities isnt for player experience for sure. Hes chasing warm and fuzzy feelings that come from roleplaying but for people who arent shallowly entertained and understand how games work its very troubling.