Getting Moderated Without Explanation

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
I understand that the forum will have some kind of moderation going on, and I accept whatever terms there are, but if you are going to delete an entire one of my threads, I feel like I at least deserve a message from a moderator as to why it happened, and what rule I violated so that I know how to avoid it next time. I am speaking of my role play post: 'A Policy of Vengeance.'

My assumption is crucifixion for some reason is too raw for role playing in a game where people are casually murdered and beheaded all over the world, and where nudity is commonplace, and where there are walking corpses all about. But a historical punishment is somehow crossing a line.

I'm honestly confused as to what was wrong. If I repost the same thread, will I get banned from the forum?

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Behold the man....

7gNiAdQ.jpg

I guess the rule is something like "We, Star Vault, can show you crucifixion" but maybe we can't write about it?

But I'm not publicly asking for an explanation, or really going to discuss moderation actions. I am going to ask you to publish somewhere and send me a link, which neither of us will post here, of course.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
That's not any more a crucifixion than someone hanging from the wall in a basement jail, to be fair. I was surprised at your mention of something that might be triggering. I'm not triggered except in the sense that it was surprising to hear you say it, but in game... it was supposed to be, I assume.

There was some wild shite in Diablo, tho, way more wild than MO. I forgot if there were any crosses or it was mostly burning pentagrams haha.

Probably falls under some religion clause, which is strange because... that's history. It's definitely something nobody wants done to them (cept those people that nail themselves to a cross for a few hours around Easter,) but yea I didn't feel it was done in a way that was necessary to moderate. Plus, we all already know what you said, so!

The only wood I'm carrying is muh bow, brother.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Maybe some sneaky Alvarin infiltrated the moderation team and assasinated your fine speech. Not to worry, it is engraved with flaming letters in tindremene hearts all over Myrland.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
I was reading some history on Classical Greece, more specifically Herodotos' Histories, and I was surprised to find out that Athens' Alliance (Delian League before de facto Empire status) crucified some Persian general in one of their wars against the Achaemenids after the Greco-Persian Wars.
Of course I knew crucifixions were a fairly common form of torture/execution in ancient times, but you almost never hear them talked about in Ancient Greece.

Anyway, here's the wiki related to it that I found:

"The Greeks were generally opposed to performing crucifixions.[53] However, in his Histories, ix.120–122, the Greek writer Herodotus describes the execution of a Persian general at the hands of Athenians in about 479 BC: "They nailed him to a plank and hung him up ... this Artayctes who suffered death by crucifixion."[54] The Commentary on Herodotus by How and Wells remarks: "They crucified him with hands and feet stretched out and nailed to cross-pieces; cf. vii.33.

This barbarity, unusual on the part of Greeks, may be explained by the enormity of the outrage or by Athenian deference to local feeling."

I know it's probably not that unusual in the grand scheme of things, when you think of the context (ancient world can be pretty brutal)-- but to me it seems like our pre-Roman sources on crucifixion are fairly uncommon... I guess we hypothesize that it was practiced by Assyrians, Persians etc., but this is one of the earlier historical written accounts I've seen, anyway. Just thought I'd share if anyone finds this fascinating...

As for my stance on crucifixion... I mean, it's OK I guess. It's so mainstream though. It doesn't really deserve the publicity it gets compared to hanging/drawing/quartering, blood-eagle'ing, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
I was reading some history on Classical Greece, more specifically Herodotos' Histories, and I was surprised to find out that Athens' Alliance (Delian League before de facto Empire status) crucified some Persian general in one of their wars against the Achaemenids after the Greco-Persian Wars.
Of course I knew crucifixions were a fairly common form of torture/execution in ancient times, but you almost never hear them talked about in Ancient Greece.

Anyway, here's the wiki related to it that I found:

I know it's probably not that unusual in the grand scheme of things, when you think of the context (ancient world can be pretty brutal)-- but to me it seems like our pre-Roman sources on crucifixion are fairly uncommon... I guess we hypothesize that it was practiced by Assyrians, Persians etc., but this is one of the earlier historical written accounts I've seen, anyway. Just thought I'd share if anyone finds this fascinating...

As for my stance on crucifixion... I mean, it's OK I guess. It's so mainstream though. It doesn't really deserve the publicity it gets compared to hanging/drawing/quartering, blood-eagle'ing, etc.

Thanks for the interesting insight Kaquenqos! I am aware that in fact there are few archaeological finds that point to Roman crucifixion, with only about two instances of a footbone found perforated with a nail. It might not be so surprising to not find much archaeological evidence however: 1. metal was always precious and those nails would have been collected afterword and 2. the bodies of those convicted thrown to the wilds and forgotten.

We know for sure however that after the slave revolt of Sparticus that thousands were crucified along Via Appia, and the histories about major events like these are always backed up and trustworthy. This is my inspiration for my speech.

Reactions: Kaquenqos

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
No.

Whatever was in the post under discussion, it got deleted so fast that not even an email notification of 'new post in in/from watched...' got through.

Other posts that get deleted often do make it through the email notification function. And I somewhat doubt that the forum software has changed.​

I read it. I read it from a discord, and I read it on the forum. haha. I was like wow OK. It didn't seem that out of bounds, but I do admit in terms of unique (at least for Nave?) cruelty, it did stand out. Had to talk w/ some Tindremenes and ask if they were still cool with me. Everyone was like "Surely, it is not I!"

So yea, take it as you will.