Free to play period

BlackStone7

Dec 30, 2021
Will it be any free period to play? Most players want to try the game properly first before they decide to purchase a subscription. Will this be possible?
Lets say 7 days free period. Personally I want to try the game before I pay anything.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
This makes my brain hurt.

If he is open to making Haven f2p at any point, why wouldn't it be at launch?

Hey Yeonan!

I believe he thinks it could possibly be an option for the future but has not committed to it.

I also think that release on steam will give a lot of players trying the game initially even with out a free to play aspect.

So they could save the free to play aspect to open the door for a flow of more players down the road.

In the end though, their target market will be one that is willing/able to pay.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
If he is open to making Haven f2p at any point, why wouldn't it be at launch?

Because nobody knows the number of players starting at release day! Some players who bought the game could even wait for weeks or months until first login and start of their first subscription month. I know some German players who are either waiting for more features or who fear about some instable first weeks.

Henrik also mentioned they could stop selling of the game for some time in case of too many players running into the game after release. I can fully understand this. It's better to let interested players wait than getting an instable server with long login queue and bad reviews. If I would have to wait in the queue for hours but my subscription time is already running, then I would ask for some free days or other compensations.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Hey Yeonan!

I believe he thinks it could possibly be an option for the future but has not committed to it.

I also think that release on steam will give a lot of players trying the game initially even with out a free to play aspect.

So they could save the free to play aspect to open the door for a flow of more players down the road.

In the end though, their target market will be one that is willing/able to pay.

Hey Seb.

Yeah makes sense. I do prefer the buy+sub model.

Release is generally the biggest exposure point, especially for a game with no marketing. Would imagine they'd want to attract as many as possible out of the gate but maybe they prefer a steady trickle vs a mass influx.

Reactions: Amadman

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
There isnt a "Haven f2p button" he can just push and it happens. Thats why.

Oo, I dunno, since they are their own instances, instances within instances, you have to log out and log back in to travel to myrland, I think it actually could be as easy as doing that. However, not sure how I feel about it. Grief alts would not be a thing, well not the same, but I dunno, if people are gonna refund or rage they are gonna do it fast enough after they get out of haven. I dunno why someone would join the game out of the content you get in haven, but who knows. It's possible. Maybe if they add like a haven arena or something, could get some good talent in there. There are all types of people who could prol bang hard in pvp but can't handle the mental aspect of getting psychologically trashed all of the time lol. Having them get in and get in guilds like some "I'll put you on if you play" shit would be interesting, for sure, but I still think they'd quit haha.

@ Xun, v good point, Haha imagine f2ps crashing out the game again. RIP.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Hey Seb.

Yeah makes sense. I do prefer the buy+sub model.

Release is generally the biggest exposure point, especially for a game with no marketing. Would imagine they'd want to attract as many as possible out of the gate but maybe they prefer a steady trickle vs a mass influx.

Steam releases tend to bring even the best prepared games down.

The traffic is most likely coming. So why not filter it to target players that are willing to pay?

Not having a free option will limit the amount of non-target players trying to get in from the get go.

Which could lead to a smoother launch for the target market.

If launch still goes bad then things would have been even worse with free players joining as well.

Down the road if they do add the free option then that will be something that they can promote for a boost.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I can see it both ways. There are probably going to be queues and I have no interest in sharing a queue with someone who isn't paying the sub. That being said, I'm 1000% more likely to try a game in the first few days of release than any other time. And I'm 1000% less likely to try it if I have to pay just to learn if I think the game is any good or not.

Then again gen-Z is more willing to trust streamers when I only trust hands on.

From the game's perspective it could be worth it to find a way to get people into at least a couple specific Haven instances for free. Then again this entire game is going to die if they release with some of the massive bugs they've been fighting forever now like nodelines. Imagine the game still eating people's pets in a game that says it's actually "released". "This is a hardcore game with full loot" is not going to fly when paying customers are losing pets they spent hours taming and leveling to bad programming every day in a game that is supposedly the real deal. So at this point that's really where all their effort should be. Very few people will pay 15$ a month to fight the game itself which I think is a fair assessment of what playing MO2 is like much of the time right now.

Last edited: