Forcing players to interact with others for crafting purposes is great, but one character per account locks us to one combat playstyle.

Is this a concern you share?

• Yes, I would like to explore more combat options on a single account

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • No, I like the current system as it is. One character per account. Make the choice.

Votes: 57 64.0%

• Total voters

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
Allow multiple characters per account, however the catch is only ONE of them is allowed to have profession skill points. The others only have action points to spend. All characters on an account would share the various reputations to be found in the game, and joining a guild is account wide, not per character.

The above idea came from a guild member while we were talking in Discord about how it will suck to be stuck to a single playstyle combat wise unless we choose to reroll or can bankroll another account entirely. I imagine nearly everyone could have come up with the same idea or already has... bottom line it would resolve one of our biggest fears with the game long term, that fear being lack of opportunity to try new combat methods without throwing weeks / months of character progression down the drain.

Want to force people to interact with others for crafting purposes? Great. Don't make us lose out on an opportunity to try new combat playstyles while you're at it. Some days I want my quick DEX focused Archer, others I may want to try magic... and then perhaps a STRENGTH based melee fighter. There are so many options in this game, and all I ask is for the ability to explore them all (Or at least several of them) on a single account.

nazgo

May 29, 2020
I agree that they need to come up with some fix for this, but proposed idea would bring back some problems from the first MO. World would get super small as everyone would split their toons around the map on the key locations.

Still, I agree with that something has to be done. Im not crazy enough to waste my only char slot for some experimental dagger hybrid or high dex foot archer build. Better just pick the stock foot-fighter -build. That ruins the game for me, and in general makes the game more boring as people wont experiment with builds and playstyles.

Reactions: frenzy

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
I agree that they need to come up with some fix for this, but proposed idea would bring back some problems from the first MO. World would get super small as everyone would split their toons around the map on the key locations.

Still, I agree with that something has to be done. Im not crazy enough to waste my only char slot for some experimental dagger hybrid or high dex foot archer build. Better just pick the stock foot-fighter -build. That ruins the game for me, and in general makes the game more boring as people wont experiment with builds and playstyles.

Force every alt character to spawn in at a single location the player can choose, like binding them to an INN. No matter what a player does only their main character will login anywhere on the map. Easy solution, though some considerations would need to be made. Perhaps every 24 hours those alts are sent back to where they are bound. Every login would cause problems as people disconnect and so forth.

Last edited:

Castiel

Feb 25, 2021
The limitations are really race based as they affect your max stats. There's no need to reroll if you wanna switch from any combat style to another if because most are strength/Con based. You can average decent dex/are ratios to favor one however their not crippling just make you lean more on actual skill.

I'll give you magic and fighter are pick one or the other however I've always felt Mortal has been more about experiencing the game as an individual. The need for multiple characters only developed over poor sandbox elements which pretty much limited crafters to unfun, unfulfilling individuals in game, at least to me. For a long time crafting was usually done out of need instead of profit. The best ores in game only in one area controlled by one of the bigger guilds in game. Stifled any economy that could develope as they usually hoarded it for themselves and allies.

I don't have alot of faith in Startvault however they have seem to learned alot from the first time around. They should focus on putting more sand in the box with what they have already not rewriting the system in beta

SGTSolj

Mar 25, 2021
I'm one of those players who used to love PvP, sieges, and all that fun stuff. However, through the years it all just became too much for me and with less time to play than when I was 18... it is harder to always strive for the best gear at all times. This is the reason why I stopped playing WoW, I refuse to raid grind a 0.5% drop chance on a piece of gear that 5 people want. That's when I started to really get into crafting, but with most games crafting is an afterthought. Star Wars Galaxies had the best crafting system, as a crafter is a legitimate playable character that could spend his entire existence being a crafter. The only difficult thing, of course, was killing high-quality mobs for high-quality ingredients. This is why you had a combat character and a crafting character, if you didn't want to craft then you had more combat characters. If you wanted to do nothing but craft, because the crafting trees relied on each other and one crafter couldn't craft everything, then either you made numerous crafters or you bought components. I spent most of my time in the SWGLegends Emulator with three crafters because that is how I liked spending my time, each crafter made components that the others would utilize and I could sell the end products on the Marketplace. The problem with the Emu of course is the population, not enough people to make that a workable plan but when I played SWG live back in the day... the system worked great.

To circle back to the topic at hand, with this game I know crafting isn't as in-depth but I hope one day it could be. I hope that one day, spending your character slot on being a crafter is a legitimate choice because that is what you want to do. That being said, because the crafting system isn't as in-depth, there isn't enough for the crafter to do to spend his day being a crafter. Therefore, unless there's a significant overhaul of the crafting system, you need more than one character per account... preferably two character slots. If I had my way, I would completely separate crafting and combat (this would including harvesting) into two separate character choices. Either you craft or you slash/harvest, but you can't do both. This way, the crafters and the market economy aren't flooded by every character having crafting potential, and the slashers can take their raw products and sell them to the crafters. But it would take a pretty serious overhaul to accomplish that.

Jackedimus

Mar 23, 2021
No, keep one character per account. It seems everyone has become so comfortable in other mmo's/games where you can decide, on a whim, to completely change your character, make a new one, reroll, whatever it may be without consequence. Why should you be able to in MO2? Why should you have the ability to be a badass mage one minute and a beefy great sword wielding bastard the next? And on top of that, you want to have additional characters strictly to craft everything you need? Did you forget this is a HARDCORE MMO? It's not supposed to be easy, you shouldn't have the ability to do everything by yourself and you shouldn't be able to play switch playstyles without any consequence or set backs.

Maybe it's just me but I like playing difficult games and this game is meant to be difficult. If you wanna completely change your character, start over.

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
No, keep one character per account. It seems everyone has become so comfortable in other mmo's/games where you can decide, on a whim, to completely change your character, make a new one, reroll, whatever it may be without consequence. Why should you be able to in MO2? Why should you have the ability to be a badass mage one minute and a beefy great sword wielding bastard the next? And on top of that, you want to have additional characters strictly to craft everything you need? Did you forget this is a HARDCORE MMO? It's not supposed to be easy, you shouldn't have the ability to do everything by yourself and you shouldn't be able to play switch playstyles without any consequence or set backs.

Maybe it's just me but I like playing difficult games and this game is meant to be difficult. If you wanna completely change your character, start over.

You clearly did not read the actual discussion topic.

SGTSolj

Mar 25, 2021
I did. You want multiple characters, one crafting the other for combat with the ability to switch combat styles. I'm against that and so is the design of the game.
The design of the game is going to change a lot between now and launch, so I hope you don't end up disappointed. Hardcore MMOs have to appeal to everyday players too, otherwise, Hardcore MMOs would be much more popular. Every MMO that has tried to go the Hardcore route has inevitably either failed or lessened the difficulty because the simple reality is 50 Hardcore players can't keep the game alive without the 1500 everyday players. If you don't like your character after playing them for a while, your only option is to delete the single character you have, lose everything you've accumulated, and start over from scratch again? /unsubscribe. You just killed the game. Congrats.

Reactions: KevinDL

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
Bottom line those who want multiple characters will have one / them. Be it multiple accounts or they somehow figure out how to allow multiple characters on a single account while addressing the problems that occurred in MO1. There is no perfect answer, there is only the best compromise. as @SGTSolj stated above... MOST gamers will eventually want to try a different playstyle, and it's important they get that chance without having to throw away all the time / effort that has gone into the game already. I certainly won't want to reroll my character again after launch, and no, shifting around skills with the + / - system is not the answer. That's still possibly weeks of time being thrown away because a player wants to try using a different weapon. That is not reasonable.

It's also worth noting serious crafters will just run multiple accounts to avoid having to work with other players.

Reactions: frenzy

Jackedimus

Mar 23, 2021
I agree most players will want a different playstyle at one point. Delete your character and restart lol I may do that one day too.

The game is in beta and it will surely change. It's not about disappointment, it's whether the game is still fun after changes are made. Would I still play if they implemented your concepts? Sure, until any unpredicted consequences arise from that or any decision and degrade my enjoyment, I'll play. Do I think they should do it now or soon because Kevin and SGT are adamant they'll quit and no one will play without those immediate changes? Hell no. Let the game be the game. It's a matter of opinion, we disagree, and I hope the game is successful with only one character per account.

Reactions: Looney and Cylver

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
Many people complain here that several slots per account would break inmersion or would avoid interacting with other players since you would be able to craft everything.

But in my case in MO one I played a pvp character and then a thief, different playstyles for different times of the day where there arent enough people for pvp.

Maybe profession skills should be limited per account so you cannot have 4 crafters but I dont see any issue having a character on myrland and another one on sarducca for example.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I'm one of those players who used to love PvP, sieges, and all that fun stuff. However, through the years it all just became too much for me and with less time to play than when I was 18... it is harder to always strive for the best gear at all times. This is the reason why I stopped playing WoW, I refuse to raid grind a 0.5% drop chance on a piece of gear that 5 people want. That's when I started to really get into crafting, but with most games crafting is an afterthought. Star Wars Galaxies had the best crafting system, as a crafter is a legitimate playable character that could spend his entire existence being a crafter. The only difficult thing, of course, was killing high-quality mobs for high-quality ingredients. This is why you had a combat character and a crafting character, if you didn't want to craft then you had more combat characters. If you wanted to do nothing but craft, because the crafting trees relied on each other and one crafter couldn't craft everything, then either you made numerous crafters or you bought components. I spent most of my time in the SWGLegends Emulator with three crafters because that is how I liked spending my time, each crafter made components that the others would utilize and I could sell the end products on the Marketplace. The problem with the Emu of course is the population, not enough people to make that a workable plan but when I played SWG live back in the day... the system worked great.

To circle back to the topic at hand, with this game I know crafting isn't as in-depth but I hope one day it could be. I hope that one day, spending your character slot on being a crafter is a legitimate choice because that is what you want to do. That being said, because the crafting system isn't as in-depth, there isn't enough for the crafter to do to spend his day being a crafter. Therefore, unless there's a significant overhaul of the crafting system, you need more than one character per account... preferably two character slots. If I had my way, I would completely separate crafting and combat (this would including harvesting) into two separate character choices. Either you craft or you slash/harvest, but you can't do both. This way, the crafters and the market economy aren't flooded by every character having crafting potential, and the slashers can take their raw products and sell them to the crafters. But it would take a pretty serious overhaul to accomplish that.
you know that you have 1100 combat points and 1200 crafting points?
and that crafting skills must not be 100 and have the same properties beside dura. 70 skill points are enough.
SO you can do a lot of stuff with your one char. Note that bows are currently broken with 70skill. But henrik confirment in stream that they will get fixed.

Last edited:

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
Considering how much bigger this Myrland is to the previous one, in order for one account system to work, you'd imagine you need a lot of players at all times. MO is always kind of a fringe game so has a hard time having tons of players at all times. Hard to see how this could work. I thought that we would be getting a lot more skill points per character but not really. Seems multiple characters will have to happen at this rate.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
you know that you have 1100 combat points and 1200 crafting points?
and that crafting skills must not be 100 and have the same properties beside dura. 70 skill points are enough.
SO you can do a lot of stuff with your one char.

this is not implemented yet, and might even take months before goes live

ShadowPete

Mar 18, 2021
One character per account is the way. Multiple characters just brings in too many problems.

This is a game where choices matters. Multiple characters means choices have no meaning. Multiple characters means anyone can be anything. Penalties for becoming criminal or having bad reputation would mean nothing with multiple characters.

This is what can make Mortal Online a Unique game from the other full loot pvp games. Your actions have actual consequences with 1 single character per account.

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
One character per account is the way. Multiple characters just brings in too many problems.

This is a game where choices matters. Multiple characters means choices have no meaning. Multiple characters means anyone can be anything. Penalties for becoming criminal or having bad reputation would mean nothing with multiple characters.

This is what can make Mortal Online a Unique game from the other full loot pvp games. Your actions have actual consequences with 1 single character per account.

At least read the topic before you post something.

Reactions: SGTSolj

ShadowPete

Mar 18, 2021
Allow multiple characters per account

At least read the topic before you post something.

Multiple characters per account, that's what the topic is about. You even mention it yourself lol.

No matter how you put it, it is a bad idea. Even with one of them only having profesion skills, its still the same, people would be able to easily transfer the stuff they make with the character with profession skills to the ones without them. Just trade with a friend with character A, then your friend trade with character B. And there, you now have a Character B that can do the same things than character A.

People could also use their side characters to commit crimes and get bad reputation, and then just log into their main to use the professions, making any kind of penalty useless.

Also, whats the idea of making people vote for one or multiple characters per account if you dont want them to talk about that? You ok bro?

Reactions: Jackedimus

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
Multiple characters per account, that's what the topic is about. You even mention it yourself lol.

No matter how you put it, it is a bad idea. Even with one of them only having profesion skills, its still the same, people would be able to easily transfer the stuff they make with the character with profession skills to the ones without them. Just trade with a friend with character A, then your friend trade with character B. And there, you now have a Character B that can do the same things than character A.

People could also use their side characters to commit crimes and get bad reputation, and then just log into their main to use the professions, making any kind of penalty useless.

Also, whats the idea of making people vote for one or multiple characters per account if you dont want them to talk about that? You ok bro?

Again, read the topic before commenting.

All characters on an account would share the various reputations to be found in the game, and joining a guild is account wide, not per character.

Are you okay, bro?

Reactions: SGTSolj