Expanding Questing.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Currently there are a few vague quests in the world, a very basic delivery quest for standing (parcels), and a bare-bones questing system in the form of collecting and selling trophies/gems to vendors for gold or specific items. I would like to propose an expansion or more involved addition to these systems.

Add specific standing vendors that will accept trophies in exchange for your choice of standing or coin.

Honestly the above is all that really needs to be added, i feel it does many great things for the game especially when buy orders become active as you can purchase the trophies at a higher price from players to turn in for the standing. Those that are wealthy can pay others for rep turn ins, and those that want to make more gold than the standard turn-in can try to sell to said players.

This next idea is a bit more complicated and would need quite a bit of testing but could be a very good tool to promote group gameplay without implicitly creating a party system. You also have the potential for selling the standing gain to other players by naming them as part of the turn in.

For certain powerful creatures or as a general choice when turning in the trophies the player can choose to name "associates" that assisted in the killing of said creature, allowing the standing or coin to be split evenly among those named. Those players must be within a certain range of the npc to get their reward.

So, at the end of this what do we gain?

Areas that normally have large amounts of wolves and other annoying creatures will be farmed more often by players.

The economy has another great tool to keep itself from being stagnant, as well as there being a slight "Gold Sink" in the removal of trophies for no coin return.

Creates more hotspots that can be fought over for which promotes even more pvp. This will be made much more palatable once lawless areas are added to the game. No one will know if you didn't actually kill all those bush pigs yourself.

Well, that's about as much as I had to say. I hope these ideas find you well and that I properly explained them so there is no confusion. Please feel free to explain your concerns, likes, and dislikes about such changes to the game.

Last edited:

Zomic

May 9, 2021
If you want quests pick a different game. The spirit and heart of a sandbox doesn’t need quests. Make your own legacy and fine tune your own story. This game doesn’t need quests.

Reactions: Belegar

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
If you want quests pick a different game. The spirit and heart of a sandbox doesn’t need quests. Make your own legacy and fine tune your own story. This game doesn’t need quests.
If you don't understand that the game already has quests then there's not much else I can say to you. I hope not everyone has this opinion of yours because that would be a mistake.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
The game has quests, and so did MO1. They're not your traditional Theme park MMO quest with giant indicators directing you to where you need to go.

In MO1 there were items obtained by unmarked quests, which required knowledge to find out how to get these items.
Draco armor book, drheknars/arakhnars horn and Azur gloves are some "quest items".

Then there were some more intricate quest in the form of GM events, like Malturn the Demon king with the Sword of tears. There was also an event with 3 Risar bosses - For those who played MO1 well after this, the heads by Fab notice board was a Easter egg to this one time event.

Then there's the basic fetch quest of get X amount of gems to take to Y vendor to get Z Scroll/Book etc

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
game definently need quests. But they could be player-made quests like escrow missions and bounty hunting system etc.
I believe that will be covered to some extent with buy orders. Which is another feature that would benefit from these "quests" im proposing as players could sell the trophies to each other for a greater profit than just vendoring the trophy. Those that care more about the standing and dont want to spend time farming get the option to put up buy orders and gain standing that way.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Any adventure in mortal is supposed to be a quest, thats one of the problems certain public has with the game they need the game to hold their hand, an npc to talk or a wall of text explaining timmy has been lost in the forests and you gotta kill the big bad wolf.

The closest thing to a quest are the parcel runs and they are borderline cool, they would be better if it had better design but i wouldn't include any other sort of questing into the game since the game is ment for players to do their own quests.

Idk what do u refer to trophies, a new type of item or the animal trophies?

Well, this is already a thing tho. Certain creatures in different contexts drop certain items and you exchange them for certain items, such as armor books for example. This is ment to evolve over time and offer a more variety of npcs that would accept specific items for trading.

I can see some sort of npc that would take certain creature trophies and would exchange certain things for them kind of giving animal trophies a purpose besides dead weight worth a couple of silvers.
I rather see animal trophies being used in some crafting class but i don't oppose to the idea of a "zoologist" accepting creature trophies for something in return.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Any adventure in mortal is supposed to be a quest, thats one of the problems certain public has with the game they need the game to hold their hand, an npc to talk or a wall of text explaining timmy has been lost in the forests and you gotta kill the big bad wolf.

The closest thing to a quest are the parcel runs and they are borderline cool, they would be better if it had better design but i wouldn't include any other sort of questing into the game since the game is ment for players to do their own quests.

Idk what do u refer to trophies, a new type of item or the animal trophies?

Well, this is already a thing tho. Certain creatures in different contexts drop certain items and you exchange them for certain items, such as armor books for example. This is ment to evolve over time and offer a more variety of npcs that would accept specific items for trading.

I can see some sort of npc that would take certain creature trophies and would exchange certain things for them kind of giving animal trophies a purpose besides dead weight worth a couple of silvers.
I rather see animal trophies being used in some crafting class but i don't oppose to the idea of a "zoologist" accepting creature trophies for something in return.
Yes the trophies already in the game are the target of my suggestion. This gives actual value to things such as bush pigs, wolves, etc. Things that you normally just ignore or get annoyed by if they attack you on the road.

I believe people are too stuck up on the fact that some turn ins within the game are item only. such as troll heads being turned in for portal scrolls. Thats cool, it has it's place, but having a general way for you to use all of these trophies for standing would be a net positive to the game without it explicitly being "Hi I have a yellow ! over my head. Go farm x wolves and dont bother bringing back something that tells me you killed x wolves, I magically can track you. Return when I have a yellow ? over my head."

Being able to deny the coin and take standing instead lets you use things that are in excess to further fuel pvp. I won't name specifics but a guild I know has a certain trophy on farm and literally have too many to sell to other players, ultimately stacking in their banks or just flat out vendoring them. If instead they could be used for standing that would give them more incentive to continue hunting, as well as liquidate some of the stagnant "coin" sitting in their banks.

Now, they plan to have standing give more than the right to recklessly murder anyone near your homes of choice so having alternative ways to gain standing would be very beneficial to the game.

As for parcels, It would be so much better if they took Albion onlines idea for faction pack runs and used it. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

This is by no means an ad for albion online, just an example of what parcels could potentially be that promote pvp in a risk/reward manner.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
With buy orders finally added, I believe bumping this post is a good idea. This is a great addition to the game and gives players more choice in how they engage with rep so that it isn't just running parcels all day.

iiell

Jan 27, 2022
Why do you need NPCs to direct you on quests when you can literally make up your own quests as you play?

Examples:
  • Go kill 20 Dire Wolves.
  • Go kill 5 murderers.
  • Go murder 5 people after befriending them.

Do you really need an NPC to tell you to go do that? The beauty of a sandbox game is that you get to decide what you want to do. The only NPC quests should be centered around factions and standings, in my opinion.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Why do you need NPCs to direct you on quests when you can literally make up your own quests as you play?

Examples:
  • Go kill 20 Dire Wolves.
  • Go kill 5 murderers.
  • Go murder 5 people after befriending them.

Do you really need an NPC to tell you to go do that? The beauty of a sandbox game is that you get to decide what you want to do. The only NPC quests should be centered around factions and standings, in my opinion.
Never did I once say have an npc give out quests that tell you what to kill. I said add an npc that can be interacted with so that you can turn these things in for rewards. It is 1 for 1 exactly like the vendors in MO1 in tindrem with bandit heads and such. But instead of just gear, this would give rep.

My mistake for using the term "quest" since people can't actually read what was posted past that and foam at the mouth, going off on tangents that do not relate to the content of the thread.

Quest in this sense is used as an umbrella term for varying ways of receiving rewards for preforming different tasks. In regards to my suggestion, its not a requirement, its not a quest objective that you gotta fill out, its not a daily. It's purely a choice you can make to do with your loot outside of vendoring it for coin.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
This was a lot of explanation just to say one thing:

"Please add standing rewards option for creature trophies"

And it could be cool, but I don't think it is needed. Keeping it a menial task like parcel runs, deters players from being murders. I believe that SV's intention.

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Currently there are a few vague quests in the world, a very basic delivery quest for standing (parcels), and a bare-bones questing system in the form of collecting and selling trophies/gems to vendors for gold or specific items. I would like to propose an expansion or more involved addition to these systems.

Add specific standing vendors that will accept trophies in exchange for your choice of standing or coin.

Imagine if there were also special titles for these trophy exchanges! Seems like an easy ask

Reactions: Fisher(Sath)

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Imagine if there were also special titles for these trophy exchanges! Seems like an easy ask
I am absolutely open to expanding it past just a standing increase choice. However we gotta get the foundation in first before we can do that since SV are not the best at releasing fully built systems. Whether this is due to lack of talent, drive, or people, they would probably not be able to go past the basics for this initially.