Eliminate handle hits from 1h swords

Should 1H Swords not have handle hits at all for balance purposes?

• I Agree, no handle hits

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Disagree, unrealistic (its also unrealistic you cant punch/manipulate opponent with offhand)

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

Attila The Hun

Mar 13, 2021
Nothing else will make 1h swords viable, eliminate handle hits on them completely, its unrealistic, but its the only way to balance them. Its exactly what LIF did and it worked out well.

Reactions: Neftan

Attila The Hun

Mar 13, 2021
Polls are horrible for these types of suggestions, anyone who doesn't use the weapon, doesn't care, they don't mind that the game has a less viable weapon, doesn't affect them.

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Voted yes. 1h axes and blunts should get handle hits removed or lengthened also. Mortal always had huge issues with hafted weapons not properly hitting cleanly and it kills the viability of them which is why you saw 90% poleswords and greatswords in mo1.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I would actually say it's more realistic that there are no handle hits on a 1h sword. It would be incredibly rare to strike someone with the butt of your weapon while intending to go for a blade hit IRL. A sword is like all blade for the most part. The level of ineptitude needed to actually strike someone with the butt of your weapon without intending to is staggering. Even just sparring in your backyard with no formal training, it's not too hard to keep the pointy end facing your opponent.

So yes. I don't think handle hits should be a thing on 1h swords. The fact it is feels super gamey and not realistic at all. And clearly, it isn't needed for balance reasons. I'd also agree with increasing the blade strike area on 1h axes and hammers. While handle hits are more realistic for these weapons, like swords, when you actually hold them in your hands its a bit easier to control them going where you want than in a video game where you can't really feel the weapon in your hands.

Last edited:

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
for a temporary fix: increase your FOV, makes it so much easier to correctly gauge the distance to the target and hit with blade, even with axes

HrafnBorrsson

Mar 18, 2021
" It would be incredibly rare to strike someone with the butt of your weapon while intending to go for a blade hit IRL. "

While I agree with you on that, handle hits from swords happen when you're standing too close to the target and do a downward swing. The game assumes since you're standing that close you're trying to bonk them instead of slice them, hence the handle hit.

Be more mindful of your positioning.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
" It would be incredibly rare to strike someone with the butt of your weapon while intending to go for a blade hit IRL. "

While I agree with you on that, handle hits from swords happen when you're standing too close to the target and do a downward swing. The game assumes since you're standing that close you're trying to bonk them instead of slice them, hence the handle hit.

Be more mindful of your positioning.

The issue is you already need to be mindful of your positioning with a 1h sword. You need to be practically kissing them to hit. And this is what makes handle hits for being close in so dumb. You need to be in this weird sweet spot of in really close, but not in TOO close. Mind you, for me, this isn't a huge problem because my melee fighting style is all about positioning. But I can understand how some people would find this really frustrating. It's not a solid mechanic and it's not arguably less realistic than just removing handle hits from 1h swords and daggers. So let's just do it.

Aerylac

Mar 28, 2021
I want there to be pommel strikes/handle hits but currently they are not realistically close enough!
The distance needs to be brought closer, at breathing distance/point blank instead of half an arm's length away

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Just removing handle hit would not fix anything but only make them op. maybe add more dmg on handle hit for these specific 1h weapon.