Eating Books is Dumb, Here's a Better Idea!

Moz

Feb 18, 2022
I, and others, believe that eating/consuming books is not the best solution and there is a smarter way to manage books and the trading thereof.

Instead of a book disappearing when you stop reading it, why doesn't the game have durability or conditions for books. You buy a 100/100 book, you begin to read it and the durability/condition declines and the book becomes worn out. So if you stop reading it, you can try to trade it but the person receiving it will only get a portion of the book and it will eventually break/deteriorate. It will prevent book trading but it will also be more immersive and not "dumb" like books getting eaten just because you accidentally started to read the wrong one or changed your plans.

This game is very prone to setting you up for mistakes you can't fix, and if we can only have one character, we need some degree of freedom. A lot of things, like book mechanics, feel narrow-minded in design.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I, and others, believe that eating/consuming books is not the best solution and there is a smarter way to manage books and the trading thereof.

Instead of a book disappearing when you stop reading it, why doesn't the game have durability or conditions for books. You buy a 100/100 book, you begin to read it and the durability/condition declines and the book becomes worn out. So if you stop reading it, you can try to trade it but the person receiving it will only get a portion of the book and it will eventually break/deteriorate. It will prevent book trading but it will also be more immersive and not "dumb" like books getting eaten just because you accidentally started to read the wrong one or changed your plans.

This game is very prone to setting you up for mistakes you can't fix, and if we can only have one character, we need some degree of freedom. A lot of things, like book mechanics, feel narrow-minded in design.
Issue with this are rarer books and crafting books.

Some can just be learned initially and then manually trained - so you could pass around a rare book to a bunch of friends until the durability died.

Moz

Feb 18, 2022
Issue with this are rarer books and crafting books.

Some can just be learned initially and then manually trained - so you could pass around a rare book to a bunch of friends until the durability died.

Fair point. If there are books that are so precious (which would be pretty neat) then I concede my idea.