Direction of The Game Poll, Post Instance Annoucement:

Which Direction Do You Feel Suits MO2?

• Total voters

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I encourage everyone to truly consider both options, wipe (not to offend anyone!) the memories of the vision, do not consider what WILL be done, but consider what you believe will be better for the health of the game.

I am presenting two options which I will explain in a tiny bit more detail here.

1. Continue down the path of "1 world 1 server" by adding new continents to soak up the excess population. The positives of this are that the vision will be not broken, there will be more areas to explore, and history will stay intact. The negatives are that possibly we can still run into massive queues for the continents that are worthwhile.

2. Build outward from Myrland "shards" into paired "worlds." That is, Myrland 1 with an accompanying Sarducca, Nordveld(sp?), whatever else, then Myrland 2... etc. Each 'paired instance' would have its own character and bank, and you could play them all, but not move between them per character. The positives of this are most certainly less lag, fewer queues, and the ability to house as many players as ever would want to play the game. The negatives are that world history gets muddied, heavily. There becomes 1st world history, 2nd world history, etc, although we are able to participate in all of these histories, they are still not singular. There is the possibility that one pair will be 'the cool kids' instances and it will be harder to get into most of the time. And, of course, the vision will be effectively SMASHED.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Ive always asked for separate regional servers as far back as mO1, and still think its the best solution long term. Experience is optimized for everyone and communities can grow in each respective region.

I've never liked sharding in any game ive played. It cheapens the experience. The more instances of the same thing, the less any of them really matters. You end up feeling like you are perpetually in the lobby and never in the main room. People come and go from instance to instance and never really create a community feeling.

Just my personal feeling of course. This option is not in your poll though.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
None of the provided choices Officer Doolie Dood, Sir. At this point SV should let go the one-world vision and give us regional servers with fast paced combat and not some pseudo ping normalization that makes you getting hit from 3m afar with short ranged weapons.

A compromise could be regional instances and some instance overlapping tc and housing magic solution. But yeah, not going to happen. Guess we are getting ships.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Ive always asked for separate regional servers as far back as mO1, and still think its the best solution long term. Experience is optimized for everyone and communities can grow in each respective region.

That's what I meant, actually, I used shard I guess wrongly lol. Or wait, I dunno... what I was saying is like Myrland-Sardu-Nord(1) where you have your own character on that, then Myrland-sardu-Nord(2) where you (can) have a different character on that. The difference is the lack of it being regional because I don't think SV is going to put regional servers. Same idea, tho. The option to create a char on a different shard is a counter balance against one becoming q'd up like this has.

Edit: deleted the word SHARD.

Edit2: upon looking it up, no, shard is what I meant, re-adding shard. lol.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
That's what I meant, actually, I used shard I guess wrongly lol. Or wait, I dunno... what I was saying is like Myrland-Sardu-Nord(1) where you have your own character on that, then Myrland-sardu-Nord(2) where you (can) have a different character on that.

Edit: deleted the word SHARD.

the thing is, the 1 world 1 server is not possible. Technology just doesnt allow it yet. Not unless you want only, exactly 3000 players playing this game and no more. Its simply not possible for an mmo. Even if the number was 5000, its still has no room to grow. Thats not an mmo. Thats a private game server that only x amount of people can access. At that point you might as well not even sell the game. just sell only the amount of subscriptions that the server can handle and thats it. If you are subbed you have a spot on the server, otherwise go play something else.

the 2 logical, reasonable and realistic options should be A) regional servers, or B) sharding.

Last edited:

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
Different game genre, different circumstances, different server structure.
There are differences, but the comparison is valid. It's easier for CCP as the stargates provide a natural pause as the character data is passed from one node server to the next, whereas MO has to do it on the fly, but it's the same system. The reason it works in EVE but not in MO is that Myrland has way too few focus points, and you end up with lots of players crowded into a small area, which then overloads the node. (SV have been told this repeatedly). If you increase the number of towns, settlements, camps, and content to spread the player population out more there is no reason it wouldn't work, but it should have been done before release.

Reactions: 2022

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Directly comparing the capability of a basically turn based game to a "fast" paced fps game is dishonest AT BEST. I suggest a long hike and going back to your beloved turn based games.

Nazrael

Feb 10, 2022
Look it is clear they have no idea what the customers want. Every MMORPG has had to branch away from the goals they set to meet demands... Will they ever see RuneScape, Ultima, EQ, Anarchy Online, Wow, Daoc, Shadowbane log queues, NO.. they are a hard core PvP game...however limiting your player numbers, driving people away from queues, refusing to normalize servers is just causing them to send Customers Running...

1. More servers are needed.
2. Will you need to merge servers in the future more then likely. (Handle this problem in the future)
3. Server wipes are going to do two things, Normalize the servers, and tick off the people that got to play. (choose Wisely)
4. I completely understand the One world idea.. but as you currently do not have the Tech to maintain a single world, see #1.

I do wish SV the best of luck in this Game MO2, as I am greatly looking forward to it.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Look it is clear they have no idea what the customers want. Every MMORPG has had to branch away from the goals they set to meet demands... Will they ever see RuneScape, Ultima, EQ, Anarchy Online, Wow, Daoc, Shadowbane log queues, NO.. they are a hard core PvP game...however limiting your player numbers, driving people away from queues, refusing to normalize servers is just causing them to send Customers Running...

1. More servers are needed.
2. Will you need to merge servers in the future more then likely. (Handle this problem in the future)
3. Server wipes are going to do two things, Normalize the servers, and tick off the people that got to play. (choose Wisely)
4. I completely understand the One world idea.. but as you currently do not have the Tech to maintain a single world, see #1.

I do wish SV the best of luck in this Game MO2, as I am greatly looking forward to it.
Ah love the good ole JUST GET MOAR SERVERS LUL argument. Its the telltale sign of someone who has no idea.

Next up your argument for improving development is probably.... HIRE MORE DEVS?

What a joke.

Nazrael

Feb 10, 2022
Ah love the good ole JUST GET MOAR SERVERS LUL argument. Its the telltale sign of someone who has no idea.

Next up your argument for improving development is probably.... HIRE MORE DEVS?

What a joke.

Okay, so how would you fix the problem of the Customers leaving in Flocks and asking for refunds because they cant play a game , that was not designed to handle the mass number of players? Now remember people have already marked this game on steam as a scam, your company is losing massive profits and dragging what is left of your good name in the Mud... Please enlighten me?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Okay, so how would you fix the problem of the Customers leaving in Flocks and asking for refunds because they cant play a game , that was not designed to handle the mass number of players? Now remember people have already marked this game on steam as a scam, your company is losing massive profits and dragging what is left of your good name in the Mud... Please enlighten me?
Not doing the quickest fix that has the biggest cost and the biggest negative long term consequence?
They are already doing what they can and I have to agree with their decision on what to do, it is probably the best they could have done in the circumstance, in terms of cost and long term issues.

Absolute best thing they could have done would have been being better prepared, but you cant turn back time.

Whiners are going to whine, and once things are more stable, the people that like the sort of game MO2 is will return, there are no alternative game.

Reactions: 2022

Nazrael

Feb 10, 2022
Not doing the quickest fix that has the biggest cost and the biggest negative long term consequence?
They are already doing what they can and I have to agree with their decision on what to do, it is probably the best they could have done in the circumstance, in terms of cost and long term issues.

Absolute best thing they could have done would have been being better prepared, but you cant turn back time.

Whiners are going to whine, and once things are more stable, the people that like the sort of game MO2 is will return, there are no alternative game.
You completely avoided my question by stating what they did... Which has had a completely negative impact on the game, the Brand, and the consumer in general. Sure once they get the game "going" people might return, to an completely uneven playing field, the guilds that have formed and are taking land have and have a huge advantage against those who have not been able to play at all. So again what is fair to the general population of the game is a even start. Let me assure you, I have not even left Haven yet, as I never played Mo1 and have no actual knowledge of the game, just decades of experience in genre. That being said normally once you tick people off and they decide to leave they don't come back, sure you will get a couple 2 out 10 at best, but most will go to something valid.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
I encourage everyone to truly consider both options, wipe (not to offend anyone!) the memories of the vision, do not consider what WILL be done, but consider what you believe will be better for the health of the game.

I am presenting two options which I will explain in a tiny bit more detail here.

1. Continue down the path of "1 world 1 server" by adding new continents to soak up the excess population. The positives of this are that the vision will be not broken, there will be more areas to explore, and history will stay intact. The negatives are that possibly we can still run into massive queues for the continents that are worthwhile.

2. Build outward from Myrland "shards" into paired "worlds." That is, Myrland 1 with an accompanying Sarducca, Nordveld(sp?), whatever else, then Myrland 2... etc. Each 'paired instance' would have its own character and bank, and you could play them all, but not move between them per character. The positives of this are most certainly less lag, fewer queues, and the ability to house as many players as ever would want to play the game. The negatives are that world history gets muddied, heavily. There becomes 1st world history, 2nd world history, etc, although we are able to participate in all of these histories, they are still not singular. There is the possibility that one pair will be 'the cool kids' instances and it will be harder to get into most of the time. And, of course, the vision will be effectively SMASHED.
look i think they should use instances for myrkguard and remove them when there actualy a finished continent that can alleviate queues people rather play the game than play the queue boss. If the new island were ready (Tbh they should of been done before game released) then they would releaser those instead of this instancing.