DELETE HAVEN and THE ETHERWORLD

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I'm back to fix the game. What happened is I installed a new HD and I had some pregen PW stored in my browser for mofo, so I had to reset. I reset! I am going to lay out these things again. I doubt I'll ever play this, and feel free to ban me for suggesting fixes for a game I won't play, BUT in the unlikely event MO actually WORKS some day, you just never know! We're gonna start with these two things, and I will explain simply why.

DELETE HAVEN! Why? Even though it is true that people got griefed out of the game before they could do anything in MO1, I'd say one of the larger causes of conflict was related to new players. Farming them / protecting them. People say players cannot police the game, and that's maybe true, but NEW PLAYERS are a resource, and they were fought over. They also add to the economy when, in Haven, they are just dumping mats into a gold sink. The fact that MO's early game doesn't work is NOT fixed by haven. Skipping into mid game is taking a huge part of the MO process away. Spawning in to your city of choice, learning which guilds would help, which guilds to fear, that's IMMERSION. It's not the player's fault that THE GRAVEYARD is the only early game content and it'd probably take 10+ hours of farming to skill your character to max there, and that's assuming nobody else is there. LAME.

DELETE THE ETHERWORLD! Why? I admit I am not a spiritist, so I apologize to spiritists, but I had a giant face palm when they decided to add ether content. I can't conceive of how the etherworld does not add LAG and we already know for people who aren't farming it, it's also A WASTE OF TIME. It would be simple to have a formula (would also fix camping, spawn w/ short sword/trash regear griefing) that was like... if you die, you enter a PRIEST CODE (or something?) and it spawns you at that priest in a pre-set amount of time, given the distance. If you die again in a short amount of time, the timer is increased, and continues to increase the more you die.

There should be no spying with ghosts, etc. And one of the more underrated things of MO1 was when someone killed you, you couldn't type or read chat. So if you wanted to shit talk, you had to type REALLY FAST, haha. Now, you can lay as a ghost and just relentlessly troll. LAME.

It makes me sad to know MO2 has the ability to be a decent game, but it's stuck in some mishmash of BS where I'd say less than 1/3rd of the current pop (the people who actually play) are satisfied, and a good portion of them are only happy because they think they are doing things, meaning they are 1 siege or 1 balance change away from quitting, too. YIKES.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Well I can chime in if you will, even though not playing the game either.

Haven is imo actually an okay place, it's just the rest of the game which needs to change to become more like it designwise (mostly not completely empty). EDIT: Although Haven really could use horses for travel and training. But yeah, the early game basically doesn't exist, just a graveyard in which in Myrland you will be spawncamped by veterans. Such a great new player experience. I never understood why have such a boring area for the only practice for new players, and also not make it guarded even.

The Etherworld for at least travelling from one place to another definitely is just obnoxious. The first time you do it maybe it can feel okay, but for sure a timed teleport would be a lot nicer and would waste people's time less, as they could spend the waiting doing something else. If they really have to stick with this mechanic in the first place. Imo Albion's way of not allowing teleporting with items would work here as well, yeah you can teleport instantly from Tindrem to MK, but you can't transfer items that way, no balance broken. And this would come with the greatly added benefit of not everyone of your guild/friend group having to live in the same place to play together. You could just teleport to a same place where one of em is located and they can make/buy items for the rest, and alternate that. Super big improvement already and super easy to implement. But no, because Henrik and his "himmersion".

Last edited:
Reactions: Haxanmancer

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
If I could choose, I would say haven is actually the worse of the two. I dunno if you played pre-haven, but it was a different game. For all of the talk about one world server and stuff, haven flies in the face of that. At its best, Haven was a gold farm exploit. For some players it allowed them to work past the steam refund and get curb stomped in reality. For vets, they were able to level up.

The thing is, the way MO works is your alts have reps, too, so like yeah you can maybe trick people, but these guys are super sleuths. Most have you get on coms, and they will make your life super hard if you are an unsavory. Where-as with haven, you can juice up and come in and grief. The main issue is just experiencing MO as a new player, not some instance fake place. Actually seeing the world, real people, feeling the danger... obviously they need to increase how people skill up and make more ways for people to 'exist' in the world, but haven is nothing but a bandaid IMO. I still believe that the lack of politics and conflict can be traced to a lot of the helpless nubs being in Haven, because when they were in reality, there was always some drama happening and it escalated. And even though it sucks to get farmed, having people come in and save you is a great experience. It works both ways.

As for etherworld, it's just like guards... more lag. Again, there is ether magic now, so it's hard to say delete it, but it would be the right choice. It would not be hard to spawn at a priest instead of all the BS they make you go through, and it would make the game a lot more simple and less resource intensive. Adding cooldown to respawn would also help, as I said, spawn griefing or camping. Both sides of the coin.

And yeah, I played MO differently. I wasn't a big factor or whatever, but I'd just go around and fill up brokers, fight people in unsavory guilds, check out what was going on in the GY, basically "Live da MO life." Very low investment, but if you know what to do or where to go, the only downside of this playstyle is MASSIVE GHOSTING. It was cool having bases in a bunch of towns, and I would have done more towns if it had been easier to teleport there. The whole idea of TC and owning one area was not my style. I just enjoyed 'living' in the world, and I loved that each area was different in that way. I got along pretty well with most people, too. I don't have all the I COULDN'T LEAVE TOWN WITHOUT DYING stories that so many people have, haha. And like I said, unless I was transporting, I was basically going around looking to get involved in something, riding up to people like sup, etc. JES LIVIN YAKNO.