Dealing with weapons

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
Hello,

I write this post not to complain but to show how difficult is operating weapons. This game is equally good as WoW, so if you matched old Blizzard in terms of gameplay - GREAT RESPECT because I have been saying these words first time in 20 years.

Mortal 2 is a fresh MMO and has few childhood faults. I have to fight against mobs and players - do not let me fight with UI yet:)

Changing, sheathing and drawing the weapon is terribly irritating. It doesn't work as we'd expected. Every now and again I "take out" bare hands, because I don't know if my bow or spear is on the back.

BARE HANDS SHOULD HAVE A SEPARATE BIND. Who uses bare hands? Group of friends sometimes in the inn just for fun.

If I hold a bow and press the dagger icon I expect the game to swap it over.
If I hold the dagger and press the dagger I expect to sheath the dagger.
If I don't hold anything and press the weapon icon I expect the game to take it out - not just mark and then press the next button to draw.

In the real situation, I do not have problems drawing a sword or bow. In this game, I never know...

In World of Warcraft there is the best UI I have ever seen anywhere. Please, fix this issue and make Mortal 2 an equal masterpiece, because this game is great. You have created a really wonderful game with an absolutely stunning world, sounds, graphics, and atmosphere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnidex and Jatix

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
In MO1, people had macros. That's why when you watch the vids of people pvping it's like 'you can't use bandage yet' x10 then the bandaid pops. I am lucky to be blessed w/ a weird timer in my head for that sort of stuff. Point being, there are not only dead times where it won't switch before/after other actions, but you have to spam the switch. You can't reliably switch weps while dismounting... the whole wep switch thing is really trash tbh as someone who uses bows and weps usually and magic. I don't dare use long bows cuz zzz another wep!

I mean if you imagine a sheathe or some sort of a harness on your back, your wep draw/swap should be able to happen AT ANY TIME and it should take about 1 second. You got your little pouch of arrows, you come out, you put away your sword, and you pull out your bow, then someone comes up and you pull out your sword. The only unrealistic thing is you'd prol drop a bow if someone came in melee range and had to take out a weapon to defend yourself.

Right now, it takes longer than that, and you have to spam while making sure to not be running and everything, it's a good way to DIE.

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
Time sheath/draw is ok for me - I am just saying we have to fight with UI yet apart of mobs and players.

STAR VAULT - make this system comfy - not irritating. It's such a beautiful game and has a bad weapon operating system which is very easy to fix up.

In Call of Duty, changing weapons works smoothly and easily. Why in Mortal 2 is it so crude?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Time sheath/draw is ok for me - I am just saying we have to fight with UI yet apart of mobs and players.

STAR VAULT - make this system comfy - not irritating. It's such a beautiful game and has a bad weapon operating system which is very easy to fix up.

In Call of Duty, changing weapons works smoothly and easily. Why in Mortal 2 is it so crude?
Lol CoD is one of the largest money making gaming franchise in history, made by multiple AAA studios, which employ thousands of developers that have almost bottomless funding.

SV is a tiny, unknown dev team with maybe a few dozens workers, pretty much soley funded by Henrik own money. It has never made a profit.

Its like asking why the buckville high school basketball team cant provide the same quality as the LA Lakers.

Your points are fine and correct, but these comparisons to CoD have to stop man. You just cant compare these two games. Its very hard to take you seriously when you keep comparing the two.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

the lack of UI, imo, is good for the game. Some of the clunkiness like moving between windows etc is tough tho. It wouldn't be mortal if it didn't have that wild, janky feel.

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
Did you know if you use magic with a weapon drawn, just auto puts away the wepon and then cast magic :D

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
Your points are fine and correct, but these comparisons to CoD have to stop man. You just cant compare these two games.

You can compare everything to everything if it makes sense. All you need is an imagination based on knowledge/wisdom. A proper weapon swapping can carry out literally any company regardless of the amount of money they have for the game.

Its very hard to take you seriously when you keep comparing the two.

It's very hard to take you seriously if you do not know how the programming works, and how easy is to change a few lines of the code. So virtually I did not compare these 2 games only mechanics.

Look:
You press ESC in CoD you access the game menu.
You Press ESC in Mortal 2 you access the game menu.

You can bind your action keys in CoD
You can bind your action keys in Mortal 2.

You can switch between weapons in CoD
You can switch between weapons in Mortal 2

You always take out the gun in CoD
Sometimes you take out bare hands in Mortal 2 (what is irritating on PvP and even on PvE).

And it does not matter if Call of Duty has much greater budget. Binding "bare hands" into a separate key and make this system as comfy as in other games is super easy for each SV coder, what they can confirm. Otherwise I will write I do not know what I'm writing about and admit in public I am an idiot.

So SV, am I right?

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
There 100% need to be an icon or something that says what weapon is on your back. And switching weapons in general needs to be improved. I expect neither to be imrpvoed tho sadly lmao.

Reactions: Blackdoll

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
There 100% need to be an icon or something that says what weapon is on your back. And switching weapons in general needs to be improved. I expect neither to be imrpvoed tho sadly lmao.
All they need to do is make the equipped weapon icon a different colour, like yellow or something. But yea they wont ever get to it.

Reactions: Jatix

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
It should be implemented, maybe with TC, this kind of quality of life changes usually are implemented after the big core mechanics of the game are set in place and we all here can vouch that in MO2 a lot of core mechanics dont exist yet

In my personal experiance I'm now very aware of what weapon I have equipt but its because i have many shame deaths with no weapon in my hand as a rezult of pressing a lot of keboard buttons with despair :eek: 🤬:devilish:.

Good Luck

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You can compare everything to everything if it makes sense. All you need is an imagination based on knowledge/wisdom. A proper weapon swapping can carry out literally any company regardless of the amount of money they have for the game.

It's very hard to take you seriously if you do not know how the programming works, and how easy is to change a few lines of the code. So virtually I did not compare these 2 games only mechanics.

Look:
You press ESC in CoD you access the game menu.
You Press ESC in Mortal 2 you access the game menu.

You can bind your action keys in CoD
You can bind your action keys in Mortal 2.

You can switch between weapons in CoD
You can switch between weapons in Mortal 2

You always take out the gun in CoD
Sometimes you take out bare hands in Mortal 2 (what is irritating on PvP and even on PvE).

And it does not matter if Call of Duty has much greater budget. Binding "bare hands" into a separate key and make this system as comfy as in other games is super easy for each SV coder, what they can confirm. Otherwise I will write I do not know what I'm writing about and admit in public I am an idiot.

So SV, am I right?

afaik there isn't a bind bare hands key haha. There might be an I pressed my wep twice so I got bare hands or my wep switch otherwise screwed, but the bare hands coming out is non intentional.

In Mo1 you had to manually bandaid and put away to cast spells. :p

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
Henrik commented on stream saying they do intend to improve weapon swapping. No real details, but it sounds like they have it in mind.

IMO, they could add an icon under your stats in the UI (where buffs show up) to indicate which weapon you have equipped. Also, make it so pressing a hotkey for a weapon automatically puts your current one away and equips the other.

Reactions: Blackdoll

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
They will never add QOL updates because to them QOL goes against the vision

It's not true what you are saying, quotes from the latest patches:
- Added better text feedback when your pet uses a specific attack on someone.
- Improved tooltips and descriptions of AI commands that have been dragged to the hotbar.
- Spear wielding Sators now also have Overhead and right attacks.
- Added sewers to the city of Morin Khur.
- Bounty contracts now cost 1g to be more accessible.

Don't want to write more. Isn't that QOL?

Moreover - CoD: Black Ops (or WoW) are also difficult games, but we fight there with players, not with UI.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
It's not true what you are saying, quotes from the latest patches:
- Added better text feedback when your pet uses a specific attack on someone.
- Improved tooltips and descriptions of AI commands that have been dragged to the hotbar.
- Spear wielding Sators now also have Overhead and right attacks.
- Added sewers to the city of Morin Khur.
- Bounty contracts now cost 1g to be more accessible.

Don't want to write more. Isn't that QOL?

Moreover - CoD: Black Ops (or WoW) are also difficult games, but we fight there with players, not with UI.
all things that were either supposed to be in the game already or were in MO1

Reactions: Gnidex