Crouch

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
i'm guessing you mean something more useful than the current /local /emote squat ?

would be good to feel like you're effectively sneaking up with forward movement though like Skyrim had - more vulnerable but more stealth
it feels weird sneaking amongst trees totally upright with a bow too

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
They recently added squat as an emote which puts the player in an indefinite stationary crouch until movement occurs. I wonder if this is the first step towards a proper crouch stance that also allows movement. They could test and refine the hitboxes while in this stance to get them working just like when standing upright.

Reactions: Vagrant

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
you could even move in squat by numlocking while doing itand steering with mouse, so they have animation basics
We could potentially test this ourselves and show the results to SV that hitboxes while in crouch may actually work just like they do while standing upright. If it does, then all SV has to do is make it official by adding a function key for it just like we have for sprint, walk, etc.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Data and network traffic couldn't be the reason anyway, because that really doesn't change much if at all just because you have more possible animation states. Considering crouched movement would be slower it would actually be easier on the system. Swapping in and out of crouching would be the exact same issue as with swapping in and out of any other animation. As was said before if anything it's a problem with the hitbox being changed dynamically. I wonder if that actually ever changes at all with any of the current animations.

Now imagine the smallest Oghmir crouching. :p

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Make it 1-2 second animation to get into and out of so we don't have more Grandpa Online 2
But that way people will abuse it in combat to get away, its easy enough to run away currently imo.

Granpa Online 2 or Snail Online 2 is already built in and due to brown nosers wont change.
Bushes was abused too much in MO already, dont need a reprise of it in MO2 imo.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Just put a decent stamina cost on it, I don't care if people wan't to bob up and down, why on earth shouldn't you be able to duck under an incoming swing anyway.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Because that does not work with the way prediction, movement, swings etc. in Mortal Online 2 work. It would be unreliable at best and heavily abuse-able at the worst.
I find this statement ridiculous. There are always ways to balance. For extreme example, take 3/4ths of stamina for one crouch, have fun with your crouch.

If you could explain a little more why that would be helpful else I shall just type the opposite so you can see how unhelpful it is.

'The way prediction, movement, swings etc. in MO2 work, crouch would fit in and work really well.'

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I find this statement ridiculous. There are always ways to balance. For extreme example, take 3/4ths of stamina for one crouch, have fun with your crouch.

If you could explain a little more why that would be helpful else I shall just type the opposite so you can see how unhelpful it is.

'The way prediction, movement, swings etc. in MO2 work, crouch would fit in and work really well.'

If it would take that much stamina no one would use it in combat, which is fine.

Crouch in combat does not work because the clients don´t update fast enough to make any suble dodging possible. Footwork is passive in Mortal, as in you move in a way that makes you less likely to be hit. Swings are not properly synchronized even after the update that slowed everything down. So the only way for a crouch machanic to be useful in combat would be to break animations or bug your character out.

There is no point in putting a combat mechanic in that will be completely unreliable. It will just end up as another trap for noobs who think they can dodge, but then get frustrated because the other players hit them in the face. Cause on his screen the crouch hasn´t happend yet.

There you go.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
If it would take that much stamina no one would use it in combat, which is fine.

Crouch in combat does not work because the clients don´t update fast enough to make any suble dodging possible. Footwork is passive in Mortal, as in you move in a way that makes you less likely to be hit. Swings are not properly synchronized even after the update that slowed everything down. So the only way for a crouch machanic to be useful in combat would be to break animations or bug your character out.

There is no point in putting a combat mechanic in that will be completely unreliable. It will just end up as another trap for noobs who think they can dodge, but then get frustrated because the other players hit them in the face. Cause on his screen the crouch hasn´t happend yet.

There you go.
Well its not much of a trap is it, you try to crouch and it does not work well so you don't do it again.

Give it a stamina cost + slows you down, people wont use it during combat as its a free hit if done right.

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Make it an out of combat animation locked situation like sitting (resting). You can crouch but you cant move. This means you can hide but you cant creep around.

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Already exists, but whats wrong with creeping around, it tends to be a big part of hunting.
Nothing is wrong with creeping around but if it’s difficult to implement then at least give people the squat emote as a standard feature that can be bound to a key

Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
using any of the /emotes with the ability to attach to a key/shortcut would be pretty awesome even if it doesn't become a combat thing.

also crouching in the jungle undergrowth and creeping slowly around with numlock hasn't encouraged the springbok to get any closer yet :(

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
While probably no gamer is against this option I do wonder how it would look in term of prediction.

The system has a hard time handling people looking up and down and spinning. So I think if a crouch is added is needs to be super slow so it won´t be abused in combat situations.

I'm not sure how looking up/down is hard on the system, but I could be missing something. As far as spinning, mouse-dragging should not be allowed, and I've honestly always wondered why ducking wasn't in MO's combat system, esp since it's an enforced first person system. If it can handle running past, spinning and swinging, and the parry that stops it, it should be able to handle ducking, esp. if mouse-dragging were removed. it seems a bit silly that it takes me all day to wind up my swing to attack, but I can drag my mouse and have the same sword move 100 miles per hour with a spin. I could be wrong though, the prediction question is a valid one. Guess it stays on my wish list, lol.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I believe one of the reason could be data. You still have to load all those crouching and prone players in their various states and tell each client about that state.

How is someone crawling slowly, more load than someone say, sprinting and jumping? people in sitting/mercy mode or sleeping doesn't seem to be lagging anything out.