Could you please explain the logic behind 1 World / 1 Server principle ?

Jan 28, 2022
Currently we have roughly 6k players online, according to steamcharts. Some of them probably in Haven, according to some forum estimates 1-2k get on the main server. A lot of them are just stuck in queue.

All time online peak is almost 10k.

Let's say you double the server performance, and you can allow 2,5-5k people on the server simultaneously. That's still at least 5k players that don't get to play the game and you want them to pay close to 15 dollars a month. I really don't think, people will pay a subscription if there's even a "short" (30-60min) queue, every time they want to play. Some will, but most will not.

Someone said that even with 600 players in beta the world was rich, fun and engaging. You could have 2 servers with 5000 people or 5 servers with 2000 people. Why is having multiple servers, and a larger player base such a bad thing in your eyes ? That would mean more money, correct ? More expenses too, but one would think the spending is optimized and you aim to make a profit, right ?

I read somewhere it's one server and one world, because you want it to have a rich history and lore ? Why can't that happen for multiple servers ? To me it would be interesting to see, if same stuff happens on different servers - if people and guilds generally follow the same patterns.

Let's say you overcome all your difficulties, and are able to fit 10-20k people on one server or even 100k. What if the game gets to an uptrend in twitch and suddenly 200k people own a copy of your game ? Still sticking to your guns and just tell people to sit in queue ?

And to be honest, the immersion kinda dies if players can't go to a specific node because it would cause server problems. In every MMO it's always 1-2 Cities where people are gathering and trading. True server capacity is only what one node can handle if you don't want to be telling people to stay away from an area to avoid server issues.

It almost feels like your aim is to keep the community small and just have a private playground for you and your buddies. I really don't think the devs have to sit in queue like the rest of us. That's the only logical explanation for being so adamant about 1 World / 1 Server.

Your game is what I've been looking for a long time and I still think it could be a top seller in Steam if people just could play it. 1 World / 1 server rule can only hold you back. It can only work if you have a fixed number of players.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
In short, it doesn't matter what your rough math is in your head, there are way too many unknowns currently to make any real conclusions outside of it currently isn't functioning as planned and designed, and it sucks for those who are itching to play.

This game is designed from the ground up to be one world and one server, where I know you and you know me and our reputations for better or worse live and develop with us. That is unique, and that is a core design concept of the game.

The great challenge they have of course is making it work on the technical level, which they haven't been able to do yet, but again, this world is as core of a feature as anything else in the game, and it's something no over devs are willing to even try or risk, so I commend them for sticking to it even if they have a very steep uphill battle ahead in order to realize it fully.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
In short, it doesn't matter what your rough math is in your head, there are way too many unknowns currently to make any real conclusions outside of it currently isn't functioning as planned and designed, and it sucks for those who are itching to play.

This game is designed from the ground up to be one world and one server, where I know you and you know me and our reputations for better or worse live and develop with us. That is unique, and that is a core design concept of the game.

The great challenge they have of course is making it work on the technical level, which they haven't been able to do yet, but again, this world is as core of a feature as anything else in the game, and it's something no over devs are willing to even try or risk, so I commend them for sticking to it even if they have a very steep uphill battle ahead in order to realize it fully.
1k player cap for 1/7th of the server when you had over 100k in sales... The worlds population increased for mo1 launch and the mmo consumer base is massive now. Nothing about mo2 is niche and even if it was 1 server would not be enough. Look at the market and show me a decent PvP MMO. So many people were hyped for NW before it when toggle PvP because they needed a PvP mmo.

Every one knew it was not going to work out except henrik. If people just looked around at other indie launches they get minimum 10k concurrent users peak first week and up to 100k concurrent peak. The math and examples were already there. In order to make all of this work they would have to triple up nodes in several cities and then double up nodes every where else to maybe keep the server stable. After that if they did a ok job with the game the population would grow which would mean even more issues and more nodes. The more nodes you have the more node lines you will haven and then the more issues would have playing the game.

Its just the want for a superficial one world for RP reasons. Nothing great about it, just trying to make work a superfical want at the determent of the rest of the game Making the game mechanically and subjectively worse for a superficial RP element.

Reactions: Hooves

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The one server and one character design means that a player cannot simply go around being a nuisance and get away with it so easily like in many other mmorpgs.

Words and actions have consequences in this game, and other players will react to you and form their opinions of you based on what they have witnessed or heard from others.

It means player heroes and villains that people remember will be created in an organic and natural manner, not by their gear or how much time they have invested into the game.

Stoffe

Oct 13, 2021
Just got the game, and have been waiting for like 3-4 hours to get in the game? How long does it usually take to get in?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Haven? instantly.

From Haven to Myrland currently? short to long time depending on the moods of the current ongoing issues.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Just got the game, and have been waiting for like 3-4 hours to get in the game? How long does it usually take to get in?

No idea yet. Recommend setting it down until there's an update saying something is fixed.

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
Well One world One server Is the core of this game since mo1 , Also First Person view, full loot, no seals world, ecc . Ecc. People are here for this i think , there are already tons of mmo like wow, real world, ecc . The question Is If It Is possible make an mmo like this for 100k players. Idk I am not confident with this things.

Stoffe

Oct 13, 2021
Haven? instantly.

From Haven to Myrland currently? short to long time depending on the moods of the current ongoing issues.

I cant even log in to the game at all. It just says im in server que.

I played in beta, do i need to reinstall the game or?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The one server and one character design means that a player cannot simply go around being a nuisance and get away with it so easily like in many other mmorpgs.

Words and actions have consequences in this game, and other players will react to you and form their opinions of you based on what they have witnessed or heard from others.

It means player heroes and villains that people remember will be created in an organic and natural manner, not by their gear or how much time they have invested into the game.
You could have last names to get the first part.

But instead people are pushed strongly to get second accounts which bypasses that.

I dont mind it really 15 bucks 30 bucks, 45 bucks isnt that much. I kinda like it but for people who want to not be held back and are competive in nature we will get multiple accounts. A know a decent amount that have over 5 accounts and are using them right now. Some people use the to mine, some people use them for multiple houses, some people use them to have a pseudo teleport to check for PvP in other cities.

At this point I no longer believe it was for a RP reason but for money and that now they have a lot of money they might suddenly be loose on 1 char per accounts.

Jan 28, 2022

This game is not unique. It's basically modern day version of Ultima Online. Hundreds of custom Ultima Online servers had systems identical to MO2, excluding directional combat. I know, I played on several of them. Saying a game is designed to be one server, that's just silly. The essence of the game does not change, if more people are allowed to play it on different servers. The characters on a server are limited to that server, and each server is a different unit and a different world. A players reputation would still develop for better or worse. And why are people allowed to have multiple accounts or delete their characters if reputations truly matter ? And how do I really know you, if you'll be someone else the next day ?

Having one server does not make it more unique - it's just as unique as any single server out of a hundred servers in a game like this. Each server has different people, a different story and is unique in it's own way. Having just one actually means it's the only server, not an unique server. If you look up the definition of unique, it can't be defined without having something to compare to. "All snowflakes are unique, but they are still snowflakes."

This is all about devs having a dream of one single game world. And the illusion that when there's only one it's somehow more unique.

Why would you limit your player base and monthly income to what one server can hold ?

And yes, this is mostly because I'm worried I will not be able to enjoy this great game properly. I loved every minute in Haven and had great plans for my time in Myrland. And now I'm absolutely heart broken I can't continue my journey. And that's the case on most people who are angry.

To us, it feels cruel we are not allowed to play.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I cant even log in to the game at all. It just says im in server que.

I played in beta, do i need to reinstall the game or?

If you played in the past and get a que before character creation then this is the thing to try:

Close game Go here in explorer %localappdata%\MortalOnline2\Saved\SaveGames
Delete your savegames
Restart Client to get a fresh random Haven.

My wife had the same issue. After doing this she got right to character creation on her next attempt to log in.

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
That's starting to feel like a trap for new players, they let you in past the queue after you've made your purchase but after you got the hours back of the line and no refund for you.
I really wish that SV never released MO2 on steam because everyone seems to forget that this is STEAMS refund policy that they enforce. Early Access games have given such a high conspiratorial look at indie companies because of kickstarter scams and ea scams which use these policies.

Take a step back and think for a minute about MO2 as a game and the company that makes it. They have developed Mortal Online 1 for ?10? years and switched over to make the second. A overall project that they've stuck to for over a decade now and do you really think they're grasping at pennies through the 2 hour refund system?

Alas we're stuck with Steam being the premier gaming store platform so everyone uses it and every developer is pressured to use it. But yeah, fuck SV for stealing my 40 bucks right?

Jan 28, 2022
I really wish that SV never released MO2 on steam because everyone seems to forget that this is STEAMS refund policy that they enforce. Early Access games have given such a high conspiratorial look at indie companies because of kickstarter scams and ea scams which use these policies.

Take a step back and think for a minute about MO2 as a game and the company that makes it. They have developed Mortal Online 1 for ?10? years and switched over to make the second. A overall project that they've stuck to for over a decade now and do you really think they're grasping at pennies through the 2 hour refund system?

Alas we're stuck with Steam being the premier gaming store platform so everyone uses it and every developer is pressured to use it. But yeah, fuck SV for stealing my 40 bucks right?

The problem is that there clearly is a mechanic with the saves that allows new users in past the queue and creates a pretense of the game being more available than it actually is. You easily stay in Haven for 2 hours thinking that this is great, and then next time you get in the server is after days, weeks or even months. Might be that this wasn't intended or it's not an evil plan, but it still creates a setting where one thinks everything is fine. Then one day they get hit in the face with a shovel full of reality and queues.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
the definition of unique, it can't be defined without having something to compare to.

DUNNO IF I'M WITH YOU ON THAT ONE. - motherfucking wordsmith

I support 1 world because in the end there aren't gonna be enough people. The only reason people aren't getting griefed out is because they can't get in. It's slowing down the process of people rage quitting. The pop is gonna level out to where it fits. It HAS to because of finite resources. That's why open pvp exists. Not everyone can survive. That's the point of the game. If there are 2 servers then you can go to another server and survive there, that's bad, imo, and the one part of THE VISION I agree with. Doesn't mean that the same 'survival of the fittest' mechanic wouldn't occur there, but we have to look at the amount of people that are actually gonna stick with the game. I don't think it's enough, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be opposed to another continent being another server, but sardu was pretty boring, even tho it was fun to walk there sometimes. However, I find it hard to believe this other continent server isn't gonna be sitting right beside the other one.

But yes the only 100% reliable way for something to stay unique, something that is built of similar parts (imagine infinite snowflake generation, eventually one would come that would be the same,) is to be the only one of its kind. That's semantics and irrelevant, but it was just a bad call in general, so I wanted to point it out. It's not logical, what u sed there. As if the instance of a singular thing prevents us from imagining something similar.

Jan 28, 2022
DUNNO IF I'M WITH YOU ON THAT ONE. - motherfucking wordsmith

I support 1 world because in the end there aren't gonna be enough people. The only reason people aren't getting griefed out is because they can't get in. It's slowing down the process of people rage quitting. The pop is gonna level out to where it fits. It HAS to because of finite resources. That's why open pvp exists. Not everyone can survive. That's the point of the game. If there are 2 servers then you can go to another server and survive there, that's bad, imo, and the one part of THE VISION I agree with. Doesn't mean that the same 'survival of the fittest' mechanic wouldn't occur there, but we have to look at the amount of people that are actually gonna stick with the game. I don't think it's enough, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be opposed to another continent being another server, but sardu was pretty boring, even tho it was fun to walk there sometimes. However, I find it hard to believe this other continent server isn't gonna be sitting right beside the other one.

But yes the only 100% reliable way for something to stay unique, something that is built of similar parts (imagine infinite snowflake generation, eventually one would come that would be the same,) is to be the only one of its kind. That's semantics and irrelevant, but it was just a bad call in general, so I wanted to point it out. It's not logical, what u sed there. As if the instance of a singular thing prevents us from imagining something similar.

The game and the server is just the setting, it's the people that make it unique. And the example you give there, about going to another server ? Seriously, how is it different from deleting your character and starting over ? Or getting another account ? Why would the other server be easier to survive on ? And why is there not going to be enough people ? There are other HC Full PVP games where you lose everything, that don't even have banks and they have 30k players through the year. And in Rust wealth is probably harder to acquire, and you might lose it all in 30 minutes while you are offline and they don't even have any disadvantages to being massively aggressive in your gameplay. Population will not level out until everyone fits to the server because the game is hard, because it's not. There are several games harder and Ultima Online was WAY harder than this. Population will level out because of this shit show, and people giving up because they just can't play the game.

Sure,1 server is fine IF ALL YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS CAN PLAY THE FRIGGING GAME. But it's much better to have 2 servers that have 2500 players each, than to have 1 server and 2500 people in the queue.

What does this take away from you people ?
Don't you feel special anymore, if you are not in the lucky few getting through the queues ?

How about making the actual game uniquely good (which it could be), so you don't have to create a false feeling of uniqueness by having just one server.

You can't have a server that would hold all the people who want to play this, simpler, better optimized titans of MMOs have megaservers of 30k characters, not nearly as many online at the same time, and they are heavily layered, sharded and instanced.

MO1 didn't have players, because it was old and unappealing. This one had a lot of interest, but won't have players because you 1 World fanatics are determined to drive them away.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
The people saying that 1 server is the whole point of the game are just living with rose colored glasses on. Every point that has defended single server (reputation, persistance) would apply if the game was the exact same, but with multiple 'worlds' created on multiple servers. We are not saying that the game should have different instances on the single server.

The bizarre thing to me is that the game was always made with an instanced server mentality, with Haven having a massive amounts of instances. So many, in fact, that it's very easy to find one to play in by yourself. If they knew the game couldn't handle an onslaught of players, so much so that they ADDED instances to Haven, you would think they would know that the game either needed multiple servers, or at the very least a massive server upgrade so that the main world could handle an equivalent amount of Haven players (these two numbers HAVE to be similar or you have an unsustainable game).

Furthermore, even if 10,000+ players could log into Myrland at the same time, the game world is not DESIGNED to be able to handle this many players. There are not enough mining nodes, there are not enough varied farming spots, and there are not enough dungeons, to support that many players doing the small amount of content in the game.

The PRIMARY reason that there was not, at the very least, a NA server and an EU server, is because the developers knew that, like with every niche game that splits server locations, NA server would have been packed and EU server basically empty.

Now, on to defense of single server. Eventually, the population is going to pretty harshly dwindle, and if they had launched with, say, 4 servers, you either have to go about consolidating/merging servers (which would be very difficult for them to do), or they would have to support multiple dead servers with the playerbase manually consolidating into the 'popular' server. This is a very fair defense of single server, although it's also very shortsighted IMO.

I personally don't know if I would spend the time to level again if a NA server launched. I do think, at this point, that it is almost necessary that they create 1 additional server and put it in NA though, if they want to ever have any sort of success by todays standards.

The game should have been much more massively stress tested, with working server que and properly alotted server nodes. But at this point, the game needs another server, OR we can just keep playing until the population dies back to beta numbers (which is what will likely happen).

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Not true, each new server creates less pvp. UNLESS the world is completely overpopulated and they have wack anti pvp systems in (ahem!!) Let us see where the pop lands after the game 'launches,' then we can discuss further splitting the population.

The server thing sucks in other games because it's like oh I got some drama, just hop to another server, but NO, in MO you have to find a way to work it out, and that's what makes it interesting IMO. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, and if you keep deleting your char, not only will people quickly figure out it's you (I dunno how they do, loool, but they do!), but you will be wasting massive time.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
It basically doesn't matter if you disagree with the concept, this is what they designed it around and is considered foundational to them whether or not you think it makes sense.

Obviously people are frustrated and just want to be able to play the game, but asking or expecting SV to change their vision of the game right now as a reactionary measure to the current issues is just not likely to happen, so take a break until they improve it enough for you to enjoy it, or play something else I guess.